It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is a biblical concept that you (as a christian) believe, but wish you understood better?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: GolgothaBridge

Now you are beginning to understand how it works.

Stick to the English AV1611 and you can't go wrong.

I tell my students, "if you can't learn it in English, you will never learn it in Greek or Hebrew".

edit on 8/24/2021 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

Tell me why you have to learn it in Hebrew? Tenakh is an English Transliteration not a Translation. We call it in English, the Holy Bible. Why don't you just call it the Holy Bible, are you Jewish?

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

I said in Hebrew Jacob’s name is Ya’aqov. That’s a fact. Answer me this if you took Hebrew:

Yes or No? Is there a phonetic “J” sound in Hebrew? With the teeth clenched and the tongue on the roof of the mouth? Or is the Yod pronounced with the teeth separated and the tip of the tongue touching behind the front teeth?

The letter J is German. Jesus in Greek is Iesous (Ἰησοῦς) pronounced “ee-ay-sooce”.

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 08:30 AM
link   

YES there is a phonic J in Hebrew. And the English TRANSLATION proves it otherwise they would have used silent English indicators.

The English C, J, H, L and Y have both silent and hard pronouncement of their letters. So why would other languages be any different?

Look above at the reply about the Russian alphabet.

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

YES there is a phonic J in Hebrew. And the English TRANSLATION proves it otherwise they would have used silent English letters.

The English C, J, H, L and Y have both silent and hard pronouncement of their letters. So why would other languages be any different?

Look above at the reply about the Russian alphabet.

I didn’t ask you if the Hebrew letter Yod is transliterated into J in English, we all know that it is. But there is no phonetic “J” sound in Hebrew, it’s a hard “Y” sound as we pronounce Y in English in the word “yoke” or “yellow”. There likewise is no J sound in Greek, the Yod in Hebrew becomes the iota letter in Greek. Iota in Greek is still pronounced somewhat like the y in English.

The “J” phonetic sound we have in English comes from German.

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Tell me why you have to learn it in Hebrew? Tenakh is an English Transliteration not a Translation. We call it in English, the Holy Bible. Why don't you just call it the Holy Bible, are you Jewish?

For starters Jews and Christians have maintained for a few thousand years now that the Bible is the inerrant word of the living God in its autographs. Autographs means the original language texts, Hebrew for the Tenakh and Koine Greek for the New Testament.

You can get very close to the original meanings with translations, but to study God’s word exactly as it was inspired to be written that must be done in Hebrew and Koine Greek.

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 09:03 AM
link   
My oh my, look at all this drama I started by bringing up the fact the Name YHWH is used more than 8,000 times in the Tenakh for the name of God. (Old Testament for ChesterJohn)

I suppose I will really make folks mad if I make mention of Romans 10:9-13 where Paul says that “if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is LORD” in verse 9 then you shall be saved, and down in verse 13 Paul has in quotation marks “Everyone who calls upon the name of the LORD shall be saved.”

Those quotes are funny, what was Paul quoting from the Tenakh? (Old Testament) I’ll give you a hint, and be mindful what we have discussed previously about the Hebrew that underlays the English text where we see the all caps “LORD”. Hint it’s Joel 2:32. 😉

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Rememinder: let's keep it civil and discuss these calmly. Let's not look bad to the non-believers, come on. Also, anyone posting scripture with your points, thank you, that goes a long way.

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: GolgothaBridge
Rememinder: let's keep it civil and discuss these calmly. Let's not look bad to the non-believers, come on. Also, anyone posting scripture with your points, thank you, that goes a long way.

Certainly, but no one here has attacked another member personally. We’ve “played the ball” as it’s said and refrained from an ad hom arguments. It’s all in good debate.

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I tell my students, "if you can't learn it in English, you will never learn it in Greek or Hebrew".

Can I ask you why you would say that to students? For centuries now Christians who want to embark on a rigorous and precise study of God’s Word have done so with a concordance and Greek/Hebrew dictionaries and Greek and Hebrew lexicons on their desk. Many words and figures of speech don’t have a direct word for word translation into English. English is a very lazy language, whereas Greek is absurdly precise and rigid, verbs must meet 5 different conditions to be used in a sentence. For example the English word “love”, in Greek there are 4 different words the NT writers used and all 4 have a different meaning. (Agape, Philia, Storge, and Eros)

The KJV is great (my favorite along with the MEV), but at the end of the day it’s still a translation and runs into problems that all translations of original texts have.

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Right. I'm just trying to keep it civil. And in regards to learning a text. I get where Muslims are coming from, it's important to read in the language it was written in. Just applied to our Bible.

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 12:31 PM
link   

We are all good man. Gets me a little fired up when someone says YHWH is some pagan tribal god of the Greeks when that Name appears over 8,000 times in the Hebrew Scriptures for the Living God.

Now, people have argued that it’s pronounced “Yehovah” or “Yahveh”instead of “Yahweh”, but it’s guesswork since we have no vowels to work with and they are inferred. Concluding, the text most certainly says His Name is יהוה, and from right to left that is Yodh He WaW He.

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I never cited John MacArthur or Charles Stanley. 🤷‍♂️ I also said Adam and Eve were literally naked. But God did not kill animals and make clothes to cover them because they were naked, their nakedness was already covered by the fig leaves they made for themselves.

The text says they covered themselves, correct? Gif killing the animals and making them skins was not to hide their nudity so what was it for? Why did God do this? A: it was a practical lesson that only by innocent blood being shed would they be covered.

This theme is LITTERED throughout the Bible. Never example using the Cain and Abel sacrifices. Why was Abel’s sacrifice accepted and Cain’s rejected? That’s the first mention of a sacrifice in the Bible. Again God is teaching vicarious atonement, Cain’s sacrifice was the fruit of his own labor, representing works. Abel’s sacrifice was the shedding of innocent blood, vicarious atonement for Abel’s sins.

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Absolutely. Even modern native Hebrew speakers are not fully sure of how ancient Hebrew was pronounced.

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Now I will fully concede if you can FIND ONE, Just One verse in the AV1611 where nakedness is shown as a SPIRITUAL CONDITION (private interpretation).

But I already did that in the post you are replying to, Jesus uses “naked” in Revelation 3:17 as a metaphor for the spiritual condition of the Laodicean church members. They were not clothed with God’s righteousness.

posted on Aug, 27 2021 @ 08:06 AM
link   

That does not mean that all cases of Nakedness are symbolic though. While revelation may have spiritual condition Gen 2 did not.

posted on Aug, 27 2021 @ 08:07 AM
link   

That does not mean that all cases of Nakedness are symbolic though. While revelation may have spiritual condition Gen 2 did not.

Actually you have been all over with it.
edit on 8/27/2021 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2021 @ 08:08 AM
link   

You need to research who teaches these false teachings.

posted on Aug, 28 2021 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Did you lie to me then? That doesn’t appear to be a full concession. 🤔

Secondly, what do these Hebrew words mean to you: “Parshat, Remez, D’rash and Sod”.

posted on Aug, 28 2021 @ 03:32 PM
link   
No I didn't lie.

That one would be the rare example.

But 99% of the time Nakedness is nakedness. And you will be naked both spiritually and physically when you stand before the Lord at the Great White Thrown Judgement.

edit on 8/28/2021 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join