It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is a biblical concept that you (as a christian) believe, but wish you understood better?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2021 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: glend
Those words are not addresssed to believers.
They are addressed to people who are faking belief. That is the whole point.
Those words were in fact spoken to ISRAEL, NOT BELIEVERS. he is not addressing any saved Gentiles and Jews in the church age today. It is about being the people of God, Israel, not a member of the church in Christ. Only Israel will be divided the sheep from the goats.

Jesus can and will never tell a believer to be cast into the lake of fire saying, "he knew them not". Because the believer is not saved upon his own merit. He is saved because of what Jesus Did and that alone.

edit on 8/23/2021 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2021 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: GolgothaBridge

WRONG!

Go back to the pure milk of the word. You are not ready for strong meat.

There is no holding down. That would be a private interpretation. You would do better to study to show thyself approved unto God, . . . Rightly Dividing the word of truth.

posted on Aug, 23 2021 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
Those words were in fact spoken to ISRAEL, NOT BELIEVERS.

Matthew ch7 v22 follows on from v21. It refers to those who don't come into the category "He who does the will of my Father who is in heaven". It is about such people not entering the kingdom of heaven.
This silly dogmatic quibbling about "Israel or the church" is not relevant.

posted on Aug, 23 2021 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Israel was created from random people, and non related people were added in some time later. We the followers are the church, not that any one "Church" building/group/denomination/etc is what is being spoken of.

posted on Aug, 23 2021 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I have my own thread on the church, All one in Christ Jesus, part of my thread series on "New Testament Salvation".
As time passes, you may realise that I've probably got an existing thread on most Biblical topics.

edit on 23-8-2021 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2021 @ 12:01 PM
link   

I have my own thread on the church, All one in Christ Jesus, part of my thread series on "New Testament Salvation".
As time passes, you may realise that I've probably got an existing thread on most Biblical topics.

Awesome. Keep doing God's work. I've actually got a website and just launched a YouTube channel explaining various biblical topics.
edit on 23.8.2021 by GolgothaBridge because: Yep

posted on Aug, 23 2021 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Belief is defined as "mental attitude of acceptance or assent toward a proposition without the full intellectual knowledge required to guarantee its truth". Those that do "mighty deeds in the name of Jesus" must certaintly abide to the true definition of "belief". What is not defined is "those that does (present sense) the will of my Father in heaven". The "will of my Father" cannot be defined as "belief" because the paragraph is written to negate such understanding.

We certainly know the "will of our own mind" but how can we know Gods will in the present sense unless we are in full commune with God. I strongly suggest to you that the "will of the Father" is moreso real, than our own will. With the help of Gods grace we have the word to surrender our mind for God if its really our choice to do so (parable of pearl applies).

posted on Aug, 23 2021 @ 12:46 PM
link   

He was not dead yet so no salvation by faith alone, and he was speaking of Israel not the church. It does not apply to the church at all. No application to the church because the believer is eternally saved by the work of Christ.

You still keep making the same mistake of making Israel and the Church one and the same and it is not. Paul taught that in the church there is no Israel or Gentiles only one in Christ.

posted on Aug, 23 2021 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

You would certainly agree that you have lots of faith in Jesus yes. But all that faith just negates you from being able to move mountains (Matthew 17:20), Does that not suggest that its not our beliefs that will allow us to find God? But only an empty mind, like little children, that can only be filled with Gods grace.

Clearly such talk would be lost on uneducated masses back then. Even considered madness today. But perhaps the spiritual nature of God is something very foreign to our material understanding. What did Paul say... "he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.".

posted on Aug, 23 2021 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Animal sacrifice is a reference to an animal (possibly a lamb) which was slaughtered by God to cover the shame of Adam and Eve. I'm not sure why they were ashamed of being the way they were createded, but ok. They covered with leaves, and that did not work. God then covered them through blood sacrifice to remind them that sin causes death. These sacrifices were a placeholder for the ultimate sacrifice, a perfect man.

posted on Aug, 23 2021 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Their nakedness symbolises the fact that they felt "naked" and vulnerable in front of the judgement of God, which is why they tried to hide from him.

See Revelation ch16 v15, where Jesus advises us to be clothed and not "exposed" when the time of judgement comes. Our nakedness is covered by the forgiveness of sin.

posted on Aug, 23 2021 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Ok, that makes sense.

posted on Aug, 23 2021 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Those words were in fact spoken to ISRAEL, NOT BELIEVERS.

Matthew ch7 v22 follows on from v21. It refers to those who don't come into the category "He who does the will of my Father who is in heaven". It is about such people not entering the kingdom of heaven.
This silly dogmatic quibbling about "Israel or the church" is not relevant.

I don’t think it’s a silly quibble, it’s sound hermeneutics. The church didn’t exist when Jesus uttered those words, it was born at Pentecost. We also know that on Judgment Day every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus is Lord (YHWH) - Isaiah 45:23

We can also see from the text that the people arguing or trying to defend their right to entry into heaven are only listing off their “many marvelous works”, so that is where they had their personal trust in, their works for righteousness. Those people were never believers in Jesus as their Messiah, because Ephesians 1:13 says the promised Holy Spirit seals a believer at the moment of belief. A doctrine cannot nullify other parts of God word, specifically John 6:37 which says:

“ All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.”

These people never came to Jesus as their Messiah, they never called on His Name, and they were never believers. They were faithful followers of their works.
edit on 8 23 2021 by NOTurTypical because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 23 2021 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend

You would certainly agree that you have lots of faith in Jesus yes. But all that faith just negates you from being able to move mountains (Matthew 17:20), Does that not suggest that its not our beliefs that will allow us to find God? But only an empty mind, like little children, that can only be filled with Gods grace.

Clearly such talk would be lost on uneducated masses back then. Even considered madness today. But perhaps the spiritual nature of God is something very foreign to our material understanding. What did Paul say... "he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.".

Using the “Law of Expositional Constancy”, a mountain is an idiom for a kingdom in scripture.

posted on Aug, 23 2021 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend

Belief is defined as "mental attitude of acceptance or assent toward a proposition without the full intellectual knowledge required to guarantee its truth". Those that do "mighty deeds in the name of Jesus" must certaintly abide to the true definition of "belief".

You just defined belief in English, not Koine Greek the NT was written in. The word in Greek is “pisteuo”, an intransitive verb meaning “to think to be true; to be persuaded of; to credit and place confidence in” according to Thayer’s Greek Lexicon.

This carries a different meaning to us English readers than our definition of belief today, it’s more akin to how we understand the word “trust”.

What is not defined is "those that does (present sense) the will of my Father in heaven". The "will of my Father" cannot be defined as "belief" because the paragraph is written to negate such understanding.

That’s false bro, Jesus plainly states what the will of His Father in heaven is:

“Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe in whom He hath sent.” - John 6:29

edit on 8 23 2021 by NOTurTypical because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 23 2021 @ 04:15 PM
link   

The Bible does not teach that about nakedness. That is a private interpretation, which we are warned about.

Nakedness does not symbolizes "they felt vulnerable" in front of Judgement of God.

They were naked before they ate and they did not feel vulnerable before God.

Gen 2:25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.
. Nope that meaning Disraelishared is false teaching/fake news not all good news is the gospel.

Nakedness is, get this, wait for it, wait for it, Nakedness is NAKEDNESS! No clothing.

posted on Aug, 23 2021 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Search the scriptures there are more than one church. Rightly divide. The church in the wilderness is the church at the time of Christ until Acts 7, it is in context Israel.

There today is no longer any difference between Jew/Israel and Gentiles in Christ Jesus he made one man from the twain in the church age. So two different Churches.

posted on Aug, 23 2021 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Mountains are mountains unless it need interpretation. In that case the base meaning of mountain that is not earth is POWER.

posted on Aug, 23 2021 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT
Yeah, the Trinity. When one prays & talks to God---who does one address? Serious question.

Like Water Steam and Ice, same stuff, different forms.

God had divested himself of his godhood to be able to walk the earth. Evil cannot be in the presence of God(and vice versa).

God knows who you are talking to, doesnt need to be so legalistic.

Thats a big start.
edit on 8232021 by Butterfinger because: Epstien did not kill himself

posted on Aug, 23 2021 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Mountains are mountains unless it need interpretation. In that case the base meaning of mountain that is not earth is POWER.

Oh, well do you know anyone who ordered a literal mountain to move?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join