It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

.9 repeating = 1? Is our numerical system flawed?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALLis0NE
No, I know 0ne simple fact. Infinity is the faith in continuation.

That it is but I believe faith is no more than being confident in one's logic in view of 0.

So when you people say .9... is equal to 0ne you are putting faith in a belief that is not provable.

1 is only a matter of faith as well, faith through the senses. One apple is only called one apple because you see a red fruit that you have arithematically, visually, or by touch associated yourself with as an apple. There are many more things to the apple, including the stem. In fact the apple is interconnected to everything at any one instant in time. You put faith in ignoring all other aspects of what the apple could potentially be termed or actually DOES consist of... and you call it an apple... and everyone else around you calls it an apple. So you call it one apple. It's a matter of faithful agreeance. Salt is called salt under faithful agreeance and ignorance, but we know it's really NaCl among other things. We could call salt one thing but we know many things make it up and it is the makes of many things.

Saying that .999... = 1 is only saying "I could never know the true one", which is both true and untrue. As said: there is only room in space for one eternity, as eternity is endless and beginningless and is not expanding but rather is an eternal expanse that is already everywhere and has been forever. Now here is the only place that I do not need faith, here is where I am certain beyond any reason of dubiosity that I know at least one thing... the infinite one. All I am saying here is that I know the 0=1. That's all mathematics is and that's also all it takes to prove and understand the universe... 0, and 1. The infinite and the finite.

0 is the immeasurable singularity, 0 is the unstoppable force, 0 is the immovable object, 0 is the presence of absence, of 0 is 1, of eternity are you.

It's just a fact that all things come from 0NE so, .9... will always be less than 0ne.

It's a fact that all things come from 0 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 just as much as it is that all things come from 1. It's more accurate an understanding, I think, to say that all things come from 0 and are measured by 1's. (although saying that all things come from 1 and are measured by 0 is also correct!)

[edit on 3-4-2008 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Let's put this to rest, once and for all:

.99999~ being equal to 1 is no more faith than 1 is equal to 1. It has been proven through proofs (go figure).

Here are some easy and then some more in depth examples. While they are from Wikipedia, they seem to fit okay:

Wikipedia Proofs

And there are more. Both limits and infinites have been proven to either go to an integer, 0, or infinity.

Edited to add:

Sometimes it helps to list it out step by step.

.3333~ = 1 / 3 (right?)

3 x (1/3) = 1 (right?)

3 x (1/3) = 3/3 (right?)

3/3 = 1 (right)?

Agree with everything above?

If so, continue on:

.3333~ x 3 = (1/3) x 3 (right?)

Because we proved that (1/3) x 3 = 1 earlier one, we end up with the result of:

.3333~ x 3 = 1

And we all know that:

.3333~ x 3 = .9999~

Easier to understand or worse?

[edit on 3-4-2008 by Sublime620]

[edit on 3-4-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
You STILL didn't put it to rest.

EVERYTHING ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE DECIMAL IS NOT A WHOLE.

It's just that simple..

You are over here doing calculations with "infinity" and you are rounding the answer off into a finite answer.

The fact is .9... will NEVER reach 1. EVER.

Case Closed.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   

You STILL didn't put it to rest.

EVERYTHING ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE DECIMAL IS NOT A WHOLE.

It's just that simple..

You are over here doing calculations with "infinity" and you are rounding the answer off into a finite answer.

Case Closed.

All right, I give up on this poor fool. In fact, I pity him. Yes, one might say that I pity the fool. Listen ALLisONE, you keep saying the same thing over and over, but never have any argument for it. You simply deny the truth. This tactic only angers others. It's as if you present me with a pure silver ring and say "This is pure silver." I don't believe you, so you go through many extensive tests, both logical and scientific, and prove that it is pure silver. I still deny what you say. That doesn't make what I say any more true, as much as it makes what you say any less true. Simple denying of truth is the tactic of ignorance, and you, good sir, are surely not ignorant. I repect your logical abilities, but now is a time where you must accept some loss in pride and admit defeat.

[edit on 4/3/08 by 00Einstein]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Case Closed.

If you are saying that we have an apple in front of us and that we only have .999... % of that apple and somehow we know this even though we can not see the infinitely missing piece of the apple. Then sure, case closed. But I hope you see how illogical that is... to say that you can measure an infinitely small or infinitely large thing and know that it is not a piece of a thing that is finite. You'd simply be measuring forever the absence of that apple, that absence which is undefined. As said above... when you continue to disagree and don't pay attention to the basic logic that is laid out for you to see... you only incite anger and impatience in those trying to teach you, and you yourself lose out on what you could have gained.

"EVERYTHING ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE DECIMAL IS NOT A WHOLE. "

Again, to the apple. If you are saying that we have 1 apple and that .999...% of that apple is missing and that it is not whole, then how could you ever measure the absence of that apple in a finite time, in YOUR life time?

That's right, it is infinite... and 1 will never reach .999...

But I ask you this - what if I have a piece, but I am unaware that it is a piece, thus I call it a whole? Do I then have a whole piece and does everything on the right side of the decimal become infinitely whole?

Afterall, you ARE saying that .999... is infinitely whole since it can never reach 1 and we can measure its absence or shortcomings to 1. Therefore you are contradicting yourself, because a whole is a one and to say that infinity is not its own one means that you have yet to see rudamentary layout of the mathematical universe.

Do you understand any of this?

[edit on 4-4-2008 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
If I was infinitly small, I'm pretty sure .0...1 would be HUGE!

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
The truth is in this simple fact.

en.wikipedia.org...

These digits are often used with a decimal separator which indicates the start of a fractional part

I pitty all who think anything on the right side of decimal can ever equal one. How can a FRACTION of a WHOLE be a WHOLE? Your logic is so totaly flawed. STOP ROUNDING OFF THE NUMBERS.

Why don't you all learn some REAL math, so that you can descover that "infinity" has an epicenter.

On this thread, one person who claims .9... = 1 said himself that he does not have the capability of caluclating infinity, yet he still believes his nonsense.

I pitty all of you that think anything less than 1 can equal 1.

Your man made explaination that is making you and others believe, is the main cause of your confusion. INFINITY DOES END. You just never reach the end. It's that simple.

[edit on 4-4-2008 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   

If I was infinitly small, I'm pretty sure .0...1 would be HUGE!

As said above, again you must have missed it or blightly ignored it.

.0...1 does not exist because "..." implies infinity and to stop it at 1 means you have just contradicted yourself and made the "..." irrelevent to the expression. Maybe you mean to use powers and superscripts.

If you were infinitely small you'd also be infinitely large because now you're making infinity a relative state when in actuality it is a non local entity.

Because to say that you are infinitely small would be to say that there are things infinitely larger than you, thus there must also be things infinitely smaller than you even when you're infinitely small. Infinity does not stop and infinity does not start.

If you were infinitely small .1 would be infinity. It would, in fact, be a fraction of yourself but I doubt you'd ever understand any of this. Every "whole" is a fraction/piece of infinity.

"Your man made explaination that is making you and others believe, is the main cause of your confusion. INFINITY DOES END. You just never reach the end. It's that simple."

Nope, infinity simply never ends. Infinity = 0. 0 never ends and 0 never begins. Good luck in whatever it is you are aspiring to be though I don't perceive you getting far thinking like this.

---------------------- Infinite ------------------------------
5. Mathematics. a. not finite.
b. (of a set) having elements that can be put into one-to-one correspondence with a subset that is not the given set.

Infinity DOES NOT end, rather its components mutate and are synergetically polymorphic.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I don't think any of you understand what a fraction is. It's just so sad.

The thing that is confusing all of you, is you keep thinking "physical".

You think "oh how can you cut and apple into a infinitly small piece?". This is your flaw in your logic. Please explain to me when, if ever, you are you going to even chop and apple into 1000ths? When will you ever have 1/1000th of an apple in your lifetime? Most likly never...

The fact is, in reality, we may never be able to ever cut an apple that small, but we can still mathematiclay DIVIDE it into imaginary pieces. Basicaly thats what you are doing.

If you have a WHOLE, you can ALWAYS DIVIDE IT, NO MATTER HOW SMALL. Because math is a non-physical form of measurment.

If you do happen to have a "infinitly small" piece of apple, you can call that a whole in itself, yes, and you can even divide THAT infinitly.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
*Jumps off the nearest roofs and is eaten by wolves in an agonizing, yet uneventful death cared by no one."

Let 'er sink matey, let 'er sink.

If you have a WHOLE, you can ALWAYS DIVIDE IT, NO MATTER HOW SMALL. Because math is a non-physical form of measurment.

The ones dealing with reality and the physical existence, THE EXISTENCE, are not the ones confused... you are because you choose to deny reality. Math isn't the non-physical form of measurement, INFINITY IS, because it can not be physically measured! Math physically measures fractions of infinity! Do YOU UNDERSTAND THAT? All wholes and all pieces are parts of INFINiTY. Look AROUND. See that keyobard in front of you? It's "1" keyboard! See the screen in front of you?! It's "1" screen! But look at everything else around you and outside, then look up and see the stars and the endless space! All you're doing is measuring fractals of infinity! GEESH. I'm not trying anymore with you until you snap out of it.

*kkkkssshhhhhhhkkk* over and out.

*bows gracefully and walks backwards into the shadows*

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ALLis0NE

All I can say is quit thinking about your "rounding off" theory because it's wrong (when I use the ~ symbol I am referring to infinity).

Just go back to my post, look at my example. Wherever I put "right?", look at the equation and ask yourself, "Is that right?".

If it is, move on. If it's not, call me out on it.

For instance:

Does "1/3 x 3 = 1" ?

If so, move on. (Hint, the answer is yes.)

You may want to use a calculator.

I pitty all who think anything on the right side of decimal can ever equal one. How can a FRACTION of a WHOLE be a WHOLE? Your logic is so totaly flawed. STOP ROUNDING OFF THE NUMBERS.

I hate to call you out on it, but you are thinking on a pre-algebra level. There is no rounding off of numbers.

Does 1/3 * 3 = 1?

Is 1/3 * 3 = 3/3?

Is 3/3 = 1?

Is .333333333333333333 (forever, not rounded) * 3 = .99999999999999 (forever, not round)?

Yes. All of those are true.

That means .333333333 (forever, not round) * 3 = 1/3 * 3

WHICH

.9999999999 (forever, not rounded) = 1

It is not rounded. It's theoretical. It is ALWAYS moving towards one, and in essence, becomes one.

I'm sure you'll get to this one day in high school.

You think "oh how can you cut and apple into a infinitly small piece?". This is your flaw in your logic. Please explain to me when, if ever, you are you going to even chop and apple into 1000ths? When will you ever have 1/1000th of an apple in your lifetime? Most likly never...

While chopping an apple into 1000ths may seem dumb to you, these kind of formulas are ever important to our world.

For instance, because of this very theory of limits, I can tell you the slope at ANY point on a curve, or I can tell you the area below it.

That's basic calculus, which luckily, I never had to go past (because that's the easy part).

This is what helps engineers design buildings, bridges, and the likes. You don't have to believe what I'm telling you, just appreciate it.

[edit on 4-4-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
When you guys awaken to realize that everything can be divided by infinity, then maybe just maybe you will understand.

Right now you are all just kids, still learning.

Do this in the mean time...

Create a triangle in a paint program. Zoom in, and create another triangle within that triangle. Then zoom in again, and create another triangle within that triangle. Keep zooming in, and you can infinitly divide that triangle into more smaller triangles. It will never end, you can just keep zooming, and zooming and zooming. (unless of course the paint program has its own limits).

The point is, you can imaginarly divide something as many times as you want. That is why .9... exists in the first place, because you can infinitly divide something as small as you want.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Actually, anything divided by infinity will eventually equal 0 (except infinity).

As far as the rest of it... it really makes no sense and is completely irrelevant.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   

In lead of....

Because math is a non-physical form of measurment.

INFINITY DOES END

I don't even have to do sit ups tonight, this is pure abdominal stimulation.

By the way, I'm just wondering about the following statement

Create a triangle in a paint program. Zoom in, and create another triangle within that triangle. Then zoom in again, and create another triangle within that triangle. Keep zooming in, and you can infinitly divide that triangle into more smaller triangles. It will never end, you can just keep zooming, and zooming and zooming. (unless of course the paint program has its own limits).

Would you consider that paint program non-physical? How about those triangles being photovoltaically exhibited and expounded through polychromatic pixelation? Are my eyes and their optic receptors non-physical? Just what about this existence and mathematics is non-physical? Ah, I got it! My brain! My brain is just make believe, right? The cerebrum, the cerebelum, the medulla oblongata, the frontal cortex, all of that... just make believe. Maybe it's the electromagnetic impulses by my brain that don't exist?

You know... it'd be really amazing to watch you try and prove something that is "non-physical" and then apply it to mathematics, and after you have done so then show us why mathematics do not apply to physical reality. Tell that to my landlord! Money should become pretty irrelevent once we don't have to count in the physical reality anymore.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal

In lead of....

Because math is a non-physical form of measurment.

INFINITY DOES END

I don't even have to do sit ups tonight, this is pure abdominal stimulation.

I highly suggest you read more about your physical existance. Are you going to argue with Herms the Thrice-Great when he says these words, "Ininfitys End"?

Do you know ANYTHING about this Universe?

Do you know anything about the cycle? You know infinity is a cycle of 64? It is a loop, just like my circle anology.

Actually the true infinity sign is a figure 8. This is because of the physical composition of the entire universe.

Maybe you should catch up the with rest of the world and learn Vortex Mathematics.

www.rense.com...

Untill then, you are all nothing more than clueless bacteria in a finite world.

How can anyone have the ignorance to say .9... equals one. That is like saying infinity doesn't exist. It does.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Gawd...

Don't talk science and math and then quote rense.

Look, if you don't believe the theory of limits, then live in the woods. Don't go in buildings, don't go over bridges, ride trains, or use any technology.

This world is based around the theory of limits right now.

*Edited to add:

You do realize that you are then calling every genius mathematician "ignorant" right? That includes Einstein.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620
Actually, anything divided by infinity will eventually equal 0 (except infinity).

You are wrong, because you are jumping to conclusions. You instantly think when I "divide" that something is lost.

Is it not possible to divide a pizza into 12 slices, and still have the whole pizza? No body ate any of the 12 slices.....

Get a pizza and divide it into .99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

As long as nobody ate a piece you still have 1 whole. Now divide the pizza into infinity pieces .9...

As long as you don't eat any of those pieces, you STILL have the whole. You see, you can divide infinity.

You can even take .000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 of a piece of pizza, and divide THAT by .99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 999999999999999

Untill you understand that everything can be divided smaller, then you will never understand DECIMAL SYSTEMS.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Don't talk science and math and then quote rense.

I didn't quote rence you close minded idiot. You didn't even read the damn website did you..

What a clueless monkey.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   

You do realize that you are then calling every genius mathematician "ignorant" right? That includes Einstein.

Yup you are all ignornat. You actually proved it by even mentioning Einstein that you are "ignorant". You think Einstein had all the answers??? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Actually the true infinity sign is a figure 8. This is because of the physical composition of the entire universe.

There's much more to my reply above. I added more to it while you were replying.

Really? Did the aliens tell you this? Have you been to all of the other planets too? And do they all use the figure 8 for infinity? Do all the nations on the planet Earth use the symbol of the figure 8 for infinity? We seem to use many different symbols for the concept of infinity. 0 is one of them, the figure 8 is one of them, "..." is one of them (yes it has a name!).

The universe is unentire, I'm sorry to break it to you. And catch up with the rest of the world? Pft, please. There's no race being ran, open your eyes.

All you are doing here is blurting regurgitated retardation from sites such as rense.com (very reliable source
) and denying the VERY definitions of infinity itself!

I ask you, if the universe is "entire", then tell me what is outside of it?

Caution:! Please take time to think about your reply before you begin typing foundationless donkey fur again.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join