It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please stop trying to hack me...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
Get Zone Alarm at www.freewarefiles.com... its free and very good.

Just installed and could not believe how many ping attempts its blocked already. thanks a boatload, JediMaster. I guess they will have to find a new hobby now.

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Hey, guys, could one of you post a script on how to check on these attempts and get the IPs?

Thanks.

Valhall,it's no complicate. If you have a good firewall, normally it has to have a security log. This log will tell you what kind of attack it was ( minor or major ), what was the attacking IP, and wich port has been targeted and wich protocols have been used ( TCP/IP...etc... ).

Also, if your firewall has a backtrace function, you'll be able to track down the IP.And don't be afraid, you don't have to be a genius in computer science to use these functions.

[Edited on 14-7-2003 by ultra_phoenix]

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 12:06 PM
link   
if you're on a cable modem, hits like that on your firewall aren't terribly uncommon. could be the neighbors futzing around with their connections, the cable company messing around, or skript kiddies port-scanning IP blocks for open ports. generally nothing big to worry about, but make sure all services like file sharing and web servers, stuff like that, are disabled. the vast majority of people will never use those things on their home computer, yet they're enabled by default on most operating systems.

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MorningtonCrescent
generally nothing big to worry about, but make sure all services like file sharing and web servers, stuff like that, are disabled.

Well said Mornington.

I forgot to speak about these Windows " options ".

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MorningtonCrescent
the vast majority of people will never use those things on their home computer, yet they're enabled by default on most operating systems.

Actually, those sharing features are enabled by default on most Windows operating systems. All Unix-based operating systems I have installed have sharing turned off by default. If you really want to avoid the majority of hacker types, switch to Linux, OS X, FreeBSD, or some other Unix variant.

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Zone alarm is a "must have" program. But many of the hits can be just a site checking if you are still connected to them.

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I can do the difference between a hacking attempt and a website just checking if I'm still on-line. I'm not so idiot. After all, I went to school 1 complete year.

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by chebob
I downloaded it.......and have had 9 hacking attempts in 10 minutes. I don't understand much of the information Zonealarm gives you, but surely I shouldn't be getting these many alerts!!??!! What is happening???

ok, in 5 minutes it went from 9 attempts to 14 attempts........WTF!!!

[Edited on 14-7-2003 by chebob]

You have to fine tune it. Your "hacking attempts" are probably your anti-virus software or whatnot attempting to connect.

Ok, I just checked my logs. I have a cable connection running 24/7 and I know I have two ports open that I never bothered to close. Nothing funny on this box. Seriously, if you are concerned about this, get a hardware firewall in addition to Zone Alarm.

Another free program you can get is Ad-Aware, which scans and deletes spyware you may have picked up.

[Edited on 15-7-2003 by Freddie]

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I donloaded spybot instead of AdAware, but the hacking attempts have slowed down a bit now......

top topics

<< 1   >>

join