It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Halloween Movies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 09:36 AM
link   
OK, so since t-o-t is going to be sort of lean this year (thank you, COVIDs), we decided that our Halloween plans with our son were going to be a bit different. Instead of taking him house hunting, we plan to do a family slumber party in the living room with a Halloween movie marathon (2 or 3) and some "spooky" food.

Kiddo is 10, and we figure since we're all crashing in the living room, we can watch some movies with a bit more "bite" than we might otherwise let him see, and then finish up with a more kid-oriented or humorous one. He has seen Alien and Jaws and Terminator 2. We've also let him watch Hot Fuzz, so some mild "R" ratings have been reached. This is to give you an idea of where he's at.

Some titles we have around that we're tossing back and forth are: The Lost Boys, Critters, Shaun of the Dead, Blade, Aliens, Pitch Black.

We're also open to ideas that could be found On Demand via cable. We're trying to avoid too much intensely sexual content just yet. Strong language is pretty well covered. Blood and guts is something that we're sort of at Tremors movie level (he's seen all of those) with some occasional more realistic stuff.

So open to suggestions.

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 09:41 AM
link   
There's alot of older Halloween type horror movies that still shine. Check out some old Vincent price movies and things along those lines. Lots of classics.

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Terrifier ! Antrum, and some light reading (subtitles) Baskin.

Ps.-just kidding unless you want them in therapy.

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I found Midnight Hour (1985) and When Good Ghouls Go Bad (2001) on Youtube, and that's what we plan on watching.

They're super fun and just scary enough (imo).

Hope you all have a Happy Halloween!

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 09:59 AM
link   

I would say American werewolf in London....
But not yet...

Army of darkness.
Monster squad..

Fun movies.

Monster house is awesome
Coraline is creepy cool.

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Transylvania 6-5000 was one we really enjoyed this year.

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I just watched the original version of Night of the living dead last night.
Creepy, and a good movie to explain how stuff is done in horror movies, with nothing to graphic.

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Trick r Treat is a decent modern Halloween flick, I'd definitely look at that, though one of the stories has some mild nudity etc it's brief and tame from what I remember.

Anything else I can think of is probably too much for your 10 year old.

The Lost Boys .... been one of my favourite Movies since I was 5, the style of that flick will be a head scratcher for your Boy, but I think it's timeless, it's one every generation seems to enjoy, and rightly so!

Have Fun!

edit on VamMonday20am1031 by valiant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: TexasTruth
Terrifier ! Antrum, and some light reading (subtitles) Baskin.

Ps.-just kidding unless you want them in therapy.

Add A Serbian Film, August Underground (any of them), Rolling Doll of Flesh or the unrated original Martyrs and you have a good list.

Sadly I could list even worse films then those.

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 10:24 AM
link   

To this day the original Poltergeist holds up and is in that age audience.

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Every kid deserves to be traumatized by the original Exorcist

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 10:29 AM
link   

The original Creepshow wasn't too over the top.

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

To this day the original Poltergeist holds up and is in that age audience.

Just watched it the other day and was 12 when I first saw it because at the time it was rated PG...Not sure how after seeing it again!

Sleepy Hollow as good as Army of Darkness

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Beetlguise
Ghostbusters
Hocus Pocus
Bell, Book and Candle
Canterbury Ghost

Hey, K!🤙

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

He's seen Ghostbusters all kinds of times and loves it (the original of course - there is no other in this house).

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   
There are some really good suggestions here.

Poltergeist is one I hadn't though of. The old Vincent Price version of House on Haunted Hill might be good.

There are also some Hitchcock movies that might work like The Birds.

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 11:39 AM
link   

You know, if you really want to frighten that kid into decades of therapy you should just let him spend 10 minutes in the Mud Pit.

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 11:57 AM
link   
How about some of the old gothic horror movies like the original Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman, etc?

The Crow is one of my fav Halloween movies...even if it did take place on mischief night.

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   

The Night Gallery pilot, from 1969, is a really good one.
It's a trilogy. An episode called 'The Cemetery" features a spooky painting which changes. A man looks at the painting, comes back and looks again, and finds something has been added!

To end the evening with something more kid friendly, this animated masterpiece: Sleepy Hollow

'The Others'
'The Thing'
'Eyes Without a Face'
'Rosemary's Baby'

The Hammer Studios produced some good stuff in the 1960s. Lots of Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing old-school gothic.
Hammer Films 'The Gorgon':

'Pumpkinhead' was a low-budget horror film from the 1980s that didn't have good acting or dialogue, but had a good monster and cool, spooky imagery.

edit on 26-10-2020 by ColeYounger because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-10-2020 by ColeYounger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The original Halloween is great.

www.imdb.com...

Minimal violence, mostly atmosphere. There is a titty shot near the end if that concerns you. I think it's on AMC now if you want to record it with the 1-2 questionable scenes edited out. Although again, really mild in relation to what your son has aleady seen.
I cant 2nd the nomination enough for The Lost Boys... revisted it with my 13 year old boy the other day, he loved it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join