It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBA Finals viewership down 68%

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I watched online. Does that go into the final count I wonder?

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

No idea how they figure the ratings now.

I always wondered how they figured out antenna tv numbers
edit on 5-10-2020 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

Did you hear about the Ohio State University professor who wrote a piece about how people needed college football to help them get over their COVID anxieties? It was a positive piece in support of the game coming back and being played this fall. And the players themselves all pretty well wanted to come back and play too.

However, he got significant blowback from other academics about how he was wanting people to ease their fears and take entertainment off of "black men's bodies", so he was forced to apologize for his white supremacist viewpoints.

I was so insulted by that. As if the people writing are unaware that there are still a decent number of people of other ethnicities who do play football at the college level. They'd be closer to right if the man had written about college basketball.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 01:20 PM
link   
They have pretty much ruined professional sports, for this year and likely for a long time. So many reasons to not watch. Especially the pro leagues 80,000 seat stadiums and they couldn't social distance 20,000 fans its ridiculous. Did you see SMU threw out it's student section because they weren't social distancing LOL if thats not a load I dont know what is.

Hell I miss the crowds atleast on some NCAA games they got real people even if it's limited. Absolutely when they throw into the political rhetoric it just completely turns me off, Im watching to get away from the real world for a few hours. Used to watch religiously and now I don't,I may grab a book and have it on in the background

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 01:24 PM
link   
LOL

Poor Lebaron.

edit on 5-10-2020 by SKEPTEK because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: SKEPTEK

Mao Lebrong

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Free country. NBA/NFL can choose to support China and BLM. I can choose not to support any of them.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
Sure.. all this racial tension is obvious after the Nuggets made history by winning 6 elimination games in a row.

Man, I think if you don't like basketball you don't have to spend your time worrying about it.

Just a recommendation from a brainwashed reprobate.

Snooooooze!!!!

Love basketball used to have seats at the Hawks games and was absolutely rabid. Now meh I tried too watch the playoffs and still play daily fantasy sports but it sucked, they absolutely sucked the life out of it. We will see with college BB but even it doesn't ramp up until March and that was BC.

Between apathy being pissed at them and not being able to afford seats the Post COVID sports scene looks bleak in person atleast. Likely on tv viewership as well.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: SKEPTEK

Mao Lebrong

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

I don't know how a person could love the sport and watch that vid w/o feeling something.

I showed it to my kid without an explanation and he got a huge smile on his face just seeing that kind of energy, which is a big part of the beauty of sports, imo.

But that just shows we all have different tastes. Fine by me

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 01:49 PM
link   
That’s pretty sad.

Trumps second message concerning his health and wellbeing as well as his thanks to a number of individuals, little over a minute long pulled over 10 million views.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
That’s pretty sad.

Trumps second message concerning his health and wellbeing as well as his thanks to a number of individuals, little over a minute long pulled over 10 million views.

...and that's just regular season numbers... we still have 4 more years until the Finals, imagine the buy rate then!

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I tuned out of the NBA when Jordan retired. From there it was all downhill, with lackluster talent propped up by comparisons to the greats (Jordan, Johnson, Bird, Malone, Ewing, etc).

Very few measure up. All are prima donna's it seems. I tried to cheer for Hardin for awhile. Jesus if he isn't among the worst.

Lebron's hubris ensures I will not watch the NBA anymore.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 02:15 PM
link   
It's going to go seven games cuz I need the money. They need LeBron to win to complete the story.

I've been watching NBA on replay TV for a decade and it seems very rigged.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: randomthoughts12

Say it ain't so

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I tuned out of the NBA when Jordan retired. From there it was all downhill, with lackluster talent propped up by comparisons to the greats (Jordan, Johnson, Bird, Malone, Ewing, etc).

I lingered for awhile longer, as I really enjoyed the Spurs era of quiet, fundamental domination alongside the Shaq/Kobe soap opera show... but since Duncan retired, it's been boring to the point of unwatchable. Duncan belonged in the GOAT discussion (the discussion, though certainly not the front runner like Jordan or Kareem) and he somehow managed to be a GOAT through painfully boring consistency and pure, unadulterated fundamentals. Every championship won was like that 96 Princeton NCAA run, with a team that was technically superior and played basketball the way Belichick coaches football.

Lebron wouldn't have survived as a PF in the 90s, as guys like Malone, Barkley, and Rodman would have physically dominated him by that era's rules. As a small forward, he'd have made the All-Star first line, beating out Pippen and (maybe) Wilkins and Grant Hill, perhaps Chris Mullins... but the NBA had to change the rules to build "King James" into the statistical icon he is. The real greats didn't benefit from rule changes, they commanded rule changes to prevent the game from being utterly dominated by one or two players alone. Reggie Miller forced the league to change interference calls as he was drawing too many of them on 3 point shots, Wilt forced the league to adopt offensive goaltending, widen the lanes, and made the free throw shooter jumping from the free throw line to dunk off the board illegal. Shaq was the reason for the 3 second defense rule, as the dude camped out in the paint and crushed everything.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: The2Billies

My husband who played BBall in college and is a rabid BBall fan
hasn't watched a single game in full since they came back

He has some recorded on the DVR but hasn't touched them.
Normally, a game won't sit on the DVR for more than 24 hours.

But since the games have become so politicized he has become disgusted
and he has lost interest since he watches to see a game
not to be lectured at.

Football is even worse, he won't even record them now
since they have become one long political lecture by commentators
and players alike.

I'm going to say something here that will upset a lot of people
because it is horribly politically incorrect to even hint at:

NBA/NFL used to be nearly all white,
which people rightly complained about,
now they are nearly all black,
which subliminally says to white men,
this is not a game for you.

Just like it used to say to black people it was not a game for them,
when the players were mostly white.

The same with football.

With all the BLM talk at the NBA and NFL games,
they are accidentally subliminally saying these are
now games only for black people,
doubling down on the accidental message that only
black people can play the sport.

Just as horrid a message as the previous
mostly all white teams.

I've watched parts of them all and have only noticed basketball being played.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Very few measure up. All are prima donna's it seems. I tried to cheer for Hardin for awhile. Jesus if he isn't among the worst.

Lebron's hubris ensures I will not watch the NBA anymore.

Brings up another point about basketball, that was real basketball you could tell they cared not just about the game but that one game they were playing right then.

Watch a few games and then go to sportrac and see how much these clowns are making. LOL in the NFL recently it said within 2 years of retirement 68% of the players are bankrupt.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

I imagine if you give most people the majority of their lifetime income before the are 28 that they would lose it in a few years.

Especially people that have never had much to begin with.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 02:59 PM
link   

That effect will be more pronounced if you stop requiring the kids to go to college. Lift poor kids straight out of the 'hood, many from functionally inept schools, although a lot of top prep schools will search on scholarship now, and then don't give them any kind of financial education ... then drop them into a millionaire situation, and what do you expect?

They aren't going to think long term beyond the days when they can play.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join