It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBA Finals viewership down 68%

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 03:04 PM
link   

NBA who? NFL who? NCAA who?
a reply to: panoz77

I dont know I saw a Georgia vs Auburn game on Saturday night and I had to do a double take as at first I thought this was an old game but it was live game and the stadium was packed. it was like a normal college game. it was cool to see.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Bubble

I've had 9 days off since April tell me about a bubble. Work home, work, home, Been out to dinner twice. At least everythings dropped in Michigan so we're meeting for tacos in a while.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

It's down mainly because, all of the east coast doesn't care right now. And non of Canada is watching either.

When the Raptors were battling it to the top pretty much all of Canada who enjoyed sports were glued to the TV or going to bars.

Doubt it has anything, or little to do with the politics. It's probably more to do with lack of advertising incentives, and just disinterest in the teams playing. I forgot they ever made a political statement.

edit on 5-10-2020 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Wonder what the final numbers were for the NHL, they did a couple things but nothing seemed as over the top as the NBA or NFL.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Good. Let sports die. What will emerge will be much better

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

It's down mainly because, all of the east coast doesn't care right now. And non of Canada is watching either.

en.wikipedia.org...

Miami is an East Coast team which has posted big finals viewership numbers in the past. Also, the Canada issue is real, but even based on US views alone, these finals are the least watched NBA finals since viewer numbers started being tracked. Part of the "problem" is clearly the product.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 04:24 PM
link   

When the Raptors were battling it to the top pretty much all of Canada who enjoyed sports were glued to the TV or going to bars.

Doubt it has anything, or little to do with the politics. It's probably more to do with lack of advertising incentives, and just disinterest in the teams playing. I forgot they ever made a political statement.

Viewership for most American sports are way down across the board. It's more fun to pretend it's due to cancel culture though.

Oh the irony.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

As someone else stated. People are just watching less sports. All of the seasons are out of whack, the regular season for the NBA should be basically ramping up to START, not end by now. The hype is gone, it's not there.

Even sporting events like F1 is down, and it's just a spectator sport!

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

And why might people suddenly be watching less sports? The games haven't changed all that much.

What is it that makes watching sports entertaining? It certainly isn't the announcers telling you all about how horribly racist everything is instead of telling you how and why this or that play just worked or didn't work or what this or that foul or penalty was all about.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I honestly think people are looking way to much into it... And if that's the case it's rather pathetic to be honest, and just goes to show the desperate nature of how broken political discord is in the US.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 04:38 PM
link   
If you want to make sports just for black people your going to have sports for black people.

I watch UFC. If you don’t like political correctness they keep it at a minimum.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Why would you think that? Do you like having political topics brought up everywhere, attached to everything? I don't. It's off-putting.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 04:46 PM
link   

This entire thread is based on the assumption rating are down because of a political statement. Clearly is has rattled the right heads.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 05:33 PM
link   

This entire thread is based on the assumption rating are down because of a political statement. Clearly is has rattled the right heads.

Not an assumption. Ive talked to so many people that are done with pro sports because of all the kneeling and BLM crap, people are sick of it. You can keep pretending its a "myth" but I can tell you first hand that it's not.

I'm a diehard sports fan and I haven't watched a single MLB, NBA or NFL game this year. I don't need or want political rhetoric shoved in my face when I'm trying to relax and watch a game. Yeah, screw em, the lot of them, I'm out.

At least I still have racing, so Im good.

Maybe the new uniforms will spark(le) interest in new viewers.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 05:40 PM
link   
.......I hope they don't come for my racing anyways.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I think a 70% drop makes it a bit more than an assumption. 20%, 30%... Yeah.. I can believe that one but not this much.
The league's political statement has had consequences.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

Lingerie football is a thing.
The game is terrible but who the hell cares?

edit on 5-10-2020 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Watching sports on mute : turns it from a tragedy, into a comedy !

Haven't we all learned : when billionaires are in control, and millions of dollars are being thrown-around ; BS abounds ?

My favorite players are always out-of-bounds !

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

Right... thats why even f1 and European football leagues are also seeing a slump. It has nothing to do with the global pandemic and off regular season match-ups, right?

You guys down there are a mess. Stop making everything a tit for tat political dick showing competition.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Think for a moment... people inherently seek distractions from the real life issues that bring down their vibe. That's why drugs and booze have been so popular since they became a thing. Entertainment, in the form of sports, movies, TV, video games, etc, became entertainment because they gave people a chance to forget their problems for a couple of hours. That stops being the case when the most common sources of the malaise and depression of the people suddenly become points of focus among the entertainment sources. Politics, pandemics, hearing what #ty people the viewers are because they have "privilege," incessant regurgitations of racism allegations and the like, etc. manage to crush the previous distraction from those same headaches that drew people to the entertainment in the first place. While sports and Hollywood figures have added political and social focuses into their platform in ways that cannot be avoided by anyone choosing to watch any degree of the platform, their viewerships have cratered. All during a period in which more eyes, more people, and more potential product consumers have been effectively stuck in their homes with few avenues for outside distractions apart from those generated by electronic screens.

Video games are on the other end of the spectrum... 2020 has seen record breaking game sales, and what games have lead the charge? Call of Duty, GTAV, Animal Crossing, the Resident Evil 3 remake, Final Fantasy 7 remake, and Super Mario 3D All Stars. The only top 10 best selling game of 2020 that could be viewed as being centered on socially conscious themes would be The Last of Us 2, which has LGBT characters...

Bottom line, get woke, go broke is an actual thing. ESPECIALLY when your core audience prior to 2020 was the meat and potatoes of the individuals you've spent 2020 whining and bitching about. (Middle class caucasians who are patriotic and don't spend untold hours navel gazing over new ways to loathe themselves.)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join