It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zombie cicadas infected with mind-controlling fungus return to West Virginia

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Are rabies bacteria intelligent too?

"When you're infected with rabies, you become aggressive, you become afraid of water and you don't swallow," Lovett said. "The virus is passed through saliva and all of those symptoms essentially turn you into a rabies-spreading machine where you're more likely to bite people.

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Shrooms are a sponge and can concentrate nutrients out of the soil or poisons like “hallucinogenic substances”. The blue in blue cheese is not hallucinogenic but is another substance, penicillin.

The ones that eat wood are really potent! Like organic LDS if you know what I am saying!

But they can also concentrate things that will kill your liver, so don’t go around eating every shroom in the forest that you find!!

What was I talking about...???

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage
Do bacteria exhibit other higher level behaviours shown by fungi? Are bacteria multicellular? Are bacteria formed of complex multicellular structures?

Fungi have their own phylogenetic classification under eukarea outside both plants and animals. They're the only other one. That's how different they are to all other complex.multicellular life on earth.

edit on 2/8/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Do bacteria exhibit other higher level behaviours shown by fungi?

I'm not sure to what you are referring.

Are bacteria multicellular? Are bacteria formed of complex multicellular structures?
No. But they induce behaviors in animals. Behaviors which encourage their spread.

edit on 8/2/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 06:29 PM
link   

"Zombie cicadas infected with mind-controlling fungus return to West Virginia"

Is this thread title 2020 or what?

Nothing surprises me anymore. Well, maybe if i read that "a grandma took her 2 grandchildren to the ice cream place, they all had big and beautiful sundaes. All three had a very pleasant time. Then they returned home." what?
Stuff like this actually still happens?

Mushrooms are a strange bunch. I studied their biology a little bit, just wiki and some other sources. I did not even understand much, maybe no human does, after all.
edit on 2-8-2020 by MapOfNowhere because: very bad mistake with his/her

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   
You asked if rabies bacteria were intelligent because of these traits, I pointed out, fungi show behaviour alongside these traits that bacteria do not share that correlates more towards intelligence than that example alone.

Your comments lately Phage have been exceedingly low quality compared to years past...you were one of the few people I used to respect here.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   

What behaviors do fungi demonstrate?

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Social isolation and distancing...

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Well to start with you could check out a couple links you may have missed in the op, then I suggest checking out some research by Paul Stamets and his work on electrical communication within fungual mycelium networks and work other mycologists have carried on based on his work.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Bacteria communicate. Are they intelligent?
www.sciencedirect.com...

I'm somewhat familiar with Stamets. His work on using fungi to cleanup the messes we make is good stuff.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 06:47 PM
link   

They could be. Don't discount it. Up until 20 years ago, people would think you were crazy if you said plants were intelligent. Or a little over 50 or so years ago if you said animals, especially sea creatures had any kind of higher level intelligence.

Humans have a shockingly scarce amount of knowledge about most life, ecosystems and the general functioning of the Earth. For all we do know, there's mountains of knowledge we don't know. I spent years gathering a tiny amount of information about a small segment of life in a very tiny area of the world. We started with basically nothing, a bunch of books and reports with data collected in the 60's and by the end and after a few tens of thousands of dollars, we added a drop of data to that.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Like Stamets said, it depends on how you define intelligence. I guess.

If you want to think that fungi plan to turn bugs gay on purpose, so be it.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Not that they intelligently decide to turn bugs gay, that was the other dude saying that....but that there's coordinated behaviour behind their actions to propagate their species. Much like the fungi that infect ants and make them climb to the tops of trees before violently rupturing from their body and spreading their spores throughout the area.

No gay stuff there, but, same idea.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Evolution is amazing.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 06:56 PM
link   
It sure is.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

The ones that eat wood are really potent! Like organic LDS if you know what I am saying!

I know exactly where your coming from amigo. Every "Latter Day Saint" I've ever seen was more organic than most Mormons I've met.

What's the question?

Oh yeah, I'm leaving for the South pasture if it rains tonite. Good fortuitous vibes collecting by the light of the moon and listening to the cicadas dance will leave your ears ringing for days to come.

edit on 2-8-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Wow, dudes and dudettes, it's like amaaaaazing!

I wonder what effect leptospirosis from those ultra cute kittens has upon humans?

Leptospirosis presenting with mania and psychosis: four consecutive cases seen in a military hospital in Turkey.

Schizophreniform psychosis associated with leptospirosis.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: olaru12

Weed is legal in Oregon. That must be it.

They likely call it zombie weed now.

It's like deja Vu all over again. "Reefer Madness"

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Nivhk

Hahaha

I was going make an Alex Jones joke about the cicadas turning gay.

You know what's interesting. I've noticed that a lot of dudes who mess around with '___', and shrooms end up losing a lot of their masculine mannerisms and acting more effeminate. Hell, I've know a few of them who after their whole ego death they start questioning everything about reality, and end up crossdressing, and saying that they are both genders and all that.

I wonder if there could be any correlation.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 09:43 PM
link   
well actuallly I saw a story they found the killer hornets in washinton state..the race is on to find the nest before they have a chance to mate..........so if they don't find it in time.....we will have killer hornets at some point

originally posted by: Bigburgh

originally posted by: IAMTAT
First Murder Hornets...Now Zombie Cicadas.
Looks like the apocalypse is definitely upon us.

Murder hornets never really took off, there was a need for a backup plan. I hear sodomy geese are coming soon.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join