It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gettysburg officials ‘aware of threat to burn American flag on July 4

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Gettysburg officials said they are aware of an online event circulating on social media that encourages the burning of flags.

The event, which organizers described as a “peaceful flag burning to resist police,” allegedly sponsored by Antifa, is scheduled for July 4 in the National Cemetery.

In a press release, Gettysburg Borough and regional public safety officials said they know about the threat.

Robert Glenny, Gettysburg Borough police chief; Donald Boehs, Cumberland Township police chief; and Joseph Lachowski, Gettysburg National Military Park chief ranger, said their organizations will continue to monitor the situation and will collectively work together to ensure a safe Fourth of July.

Gettysburg officials ‘aware of the threats and social media posts’ threatening to burn American flag on July 4

Don't know what to make of this one . There is some speculation that it is a social media hoax and no one is coming to burn flags at Gettysburg. Nevertheless we will have to keep our eyes on the area to see what happens.

if there are groups that seriously want to do this given the political climate and tension in the US right now It seems like a bad decision and a move like this could easily escalate into something much worse but perhaps that is the whole goal in the first place.

I suppose the best thing to do now is keep an eye on Gettysburg until further information becomes available

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I saw the initial "digital poster" or post online that first publicized this event and it appeared to be satirical. If you call the phone number that's listed(can't remember it off the top of my head) it takes you to a voice recording simply stating the date & time and invites the caller. Interestingly, it was a Des Moines number...

I don't believe this is a real event.
edit on 30-6-2020 by bigsnowman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 30-6-2020 by bigsnowman because: double post

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: SolAquarius
There is some speculation that it is a social media hoax...

In that case send in the Mongols and Hell's Angels who specialize in dealing with hoaxes. They've just finished cleaning up the CHOP, now they can haul ass to Pennsylvania and straighten this out next.

Stop lending credence to unsourced news items you read online, particularly if it gets you riled up.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigsnowman
I saw the initial "digital poster" or post online that first publicized this incident and it appeared to be satirical. If you call the phone number that's listed(can't remember it off the top of my head) it takes you to a voice recording simply stating the date & time and invites the caller. Interestingly, it was a Des Moines number...

Ok so from what you can tell its likely a social media hoax?

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

There is some speculation that it is a social media hoax...

Stop lending credence to unsourced news items you read online, particularly if it gets you riled up.

Thanks for the editorial advice I will take it into consideration.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigsnowman
I saw the initial "digital poster" or post online that first publicized this incident and it appeared to be satirical. If you call the phone number that's listed(can't remember it off the top of my head) it takes you to a voice recording simply stating the date & time and invites the caller. Interestingly, it was a Des Moines number...

Ok so from what you can tell its likely a social media hoax?

It's just my opinion, but yes. That being said, if people actually show up is it actually a hoax? I believe that whoever initiated the word of this "event" is doing so with the intent of just riling people up but if enough people take it seriously and go anyway I guess it doesn't matter what the intent behind it was

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

It's more a lifestyle choice than solely an editorial one.

These 'articles' aren't meant to convey information, they're meant to illicit an emotional and visceral response. Basically it's button pushing and people let it happen to themselves constantly with this kind of trash.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

It's more a lifestyle choice than solely an editorial one.

These 'articles' aren't meant to convey information, they're meant to illicit an emotional and visceral response. Basically it's button pushing and people let it happen to themselves constantly with this kind of trash.

Hmm perhaps your right maybe I have fallen under the spell of emotional propaganda.
Could use a break from ATS and some meditation to clear my head.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and caldron bubble.
Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the caldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt and toe of frog,
Wool of bat and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg and howlet's wing,
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and caldron bubble.
Cool it with a baboon's blood,
Then the charm is firm and good.
edit on 30-6-2020 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 03:41 PM
link   

If everyone just shrugged and let them burn as many flags as they want it would take the power away from their action.

Burning the flag only matters to them because it matters to the people they don't like.

Reads the replies*

Or it could just be a hoax.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 04:14 PM
link   
It’s a shame that America has to depend on a motorcycle gang to enforce the law.
Many of us feel like, “Burn a flag in front of me and see what happens.” I’m not a violent man, but don’t push to hard.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
It’s a shame that America has to depend on a motorcycle gang to enforce the law.

Except we don't, they are too busy being criminals themselves.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Most of antifa and BLM are planning on being at Mount Rushmore to protest America and President Trump on the 3rd.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Most of antifa and BLM are planning on being at Mount Rushmore to protest America and President Trump on the 3rd.

Maybe Gettysburg was misinformation put out as diversion? I mean if it is largely a hoax anyone could be behind it. The far left the far right bogaloo or just 4 chan trolls in it for LULZ of spreading chaos in a time of chaos.

But yeah it seems like Mt Rush more is going to draw all sorts of folks from all over the political spectrum .
edit on 30-6-2020 by SolAquarius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 06:02 PM
link   
A little untimely reference here, and I think burning the flag of the country you reside in is abhorrent, but:

"The most vile speech must be defended,
To burn a flag,
Or draw Muhammad"

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 06:50 PM
link   

I wonder how peaceful the flag burning included a gay, BLM, and a antifa flag? Two can play this game.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

If everyone just shrugged and let them burn as many flags as they want it would take the power away from their action.

Burning the flag only matters to them because it matters to the people they don't like.

You hit the nail right on the head. When kids throw a temper tantrum, ignoring it works every time.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: PhilbertDezineck

Or act like adults and view it for what it is. Tit for tat is not productive and it's foolish in the extreme.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

You hit the nail right on the head. When kids throw a temper tantrum, ignoring it works every time.

Until they burn the house down, with us in it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join