It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Workers can't be fired for being gay or transgender, Supreme Court rules

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Indiana is the same.
No fault state.
But like you said.
Not if it's a civil rights violation.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: Bluntone22

So we shouldn't have any protections in place at all?

Where I live, employment is "at will"- which means they can fire you for any reason, or no reason.
Maybe they don't like your face... They probably can't give that as the reason, but they can still fire you.

From an employer stand point anything else is insane.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: a325nt

I've managed a small company with about 10 employees for 27 years.

I can tell you that what's insane would be wasting the thousands of dollars of training and experience invested in one of my employees for any reason whatsoever that was not related to serious disruption of my business.

Besides that, an employer benefits from the laws of the United States, and should be limited by them. Anything other than that is insanity.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Indiana is the same.
No fault state.
But like you said.
Not if it's a civil rights violation.

It's a separate matter in GA, probably in IN. And I think it should be. I don't think the government should interfere in my business, and I don't think my business should interfere in an employee's life.

And I still say that "mind your own business" would solve 90% of our issues in life.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Pretty much

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Human resource personnel take classes to avoid lawsuits.

Especially when you consider that you cant ask someone their sexual orientation or religion of choice.

Yet they still happen. Why? Because people can't help themselves and do dumb s***. I see it all the time. We take compliance training and then someone is making lewd jokes in a meeting a week later.

I know what you mean. Everyone enjoys my "what do you call a guy with no arms and no leggs" jokes, until you try it with a room full of paraplegics.

BTW- in a hole=phil
hanging on the wall=art
laying in front of the door=mat

The only reason to be fired is for doing a poor job. If you were hired, your other traits should have been sorted out already. If you change something and it affects your ability to do your job correctly, then you need to adapt or find a new job. it's not personal, it's business.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: Fools

You have the same protection as a gay person. You can't be fired for being straight and they can't be fired for being gay.

Why are you acting like they're getting some special privilege you don't get?

You can talk to my lawyer. That's all I am sayin.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder

originally posted by: Fools
Guess its time for me to come out of the closet? If I pretend to be gay will I have to prove that I am gay? What if I am a gay man who is straight? I mean isn't that acceptable since a guy can think he is a woman and be classified as a woman? Can't I be straight and classify myself as gay therefore protecting me a little more if anyone ever wants to fire me? ANd believe me, I have been fired and had people want to fire me in my lifetime. But now that I am gay (even though I am straight) I can go to HR --- I can go to a lawyer! Shoot, I may never have to work again if I get the right lawyer.

THIS IS F'ing AWESOME!

Gaypride festivals here I come!

You can still be fired if you are gay and violate company policies, like not showing up to work, missing too many days, being late too often, coming to work under the influence, putting co-workers at risk, etc... It's not like gay people are getting special protections, they still have to be a good employee. Am I wrong?

Just saying I could find a lawyer who says otherwise. Maybe win a lawsuit. CHA-ching baby.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:45 AM
link   
It’s pretty sad and petty that people still judge others for their sexual preference, it doesn’t make anyone less of a person than who they would be anyways. Employment should be based solely on performance and attitude.

This is a topic Trump needs to back off of because I don’t think the majority of Americans gives a hoot who someone else is sleeping with (unless it’s their spouse or partner) Some don’t agree with the lifestyle, sure, but who are we to judge what others do in their own privacy. Do whatever makes you happy as long as you’re not causing harm to me or anyone else, who cares. It’s become a silly argument on both sides, time to move on, we have much greater priorities in life to deal with.

link   

originally posted by: network dude
I know what you mean. Everyone enjoys my "what do you call a guy with no arms and no leggs" jokes, until you try it with a room full of paraplegics.

BTW- in a hole=phil
hanging on the wall=art
laying in front of the door=mat

In the water: Bob.

The only reason to be fired is for doing a poor job. If you were hired, your other traits should have been sorted out already. If you change something and it affects your ability to do your job correctly, then you need to adapt or find a new job. it's not personal, it's business.

Totally agree, Bro.

link   
a reply to: network dude

I have two employees that work at my front desk in reception.

Both are professionally-dressed women.

If one came in tomorrow appearing as a professionally-dressed man ... why would I care as an employer?

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Wrong.

Self-ID is insanity.

Trans people don't get more rights than me because they whine more.
edit on 6 15 2020 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

I think most jobs it won't matter.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Is self id hurting anything?

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

Sadly, for many fundamentalist Christians, LGBT issues usually rank right behind abortion-choice issues in importance.

It's a losing proposition in the long-run, and there's a heckuva lot better things we all need to be worried about.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: network dude

I have two employees that work at my front desk in reception.

Both are professionally-dressed women.

If one came in tomorrow appearing as a professionally-dressed man ... why would I care as an employer?

As long as they could still do the job in the same way they were hired for, you shouldn't. Did you misread my post?

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Wrong.

Self-ID is insanity.

Trans people don't get more rights than me because they whine more.

No, they don't. They get the same rights as you, regardless of your whining.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: projectvxn

Is self id hurting anything?

as long as it doesn't, then it's fine. You can self ID as a normal person, and all will be well. See, we can all get along.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: Jonjonj

I think most jobs it won't matter.

I agree it won't matter in most jobs but that is why I asked. When dealing with edge cases I just wondered if there were provisions for that. I couldn't see a Dennis changing to Denise and continuing to teach highschool American football or rugby for boys (locker room talks with the coach are a thing), or certain security related jobs dealing with the public, a transgender would literally attract all the wrong kinds of people causing trouble.

Hence the question that no one has answered for me yet, never mind.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: Xcalibur254

"This isn't the right fit for us. Here's a letter of recommendation and good luck."

This is what employers will do, regardless of law and sometimes I can't blame them. Happened to me several times because I have severe ADHD and some learning disabilities (I wasn't diagnosed at the time) even though I should be protected by law. I was mad as hell at the times it happened but, truth is, the jobs were too high stress and I was disorganized, forgetful, chaotic due to having these disabilities. There were better people for the job and that is the bottom line in business. Gender, sex, and sexual orientation should never be an issue though but some employers are not that evolved. Times are changing, albeit a bit slow.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join