It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boris has me confused

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
a reply to: Grenade
Why has Fauci said 'a second wave is inevitable'?

Because once they reach a limit to the restrictions people will accept they need to ease up, let people adapt then hit them with more restrictions than would have previously been tolerated.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

"the prison-house is the world of sight, the light of the fire is the sun, and you will not misapprehend me if you interpret the journey upwards to be the ascent of the soul into the intellectual world according to my poor belief, which, at your desire, I have expressed whether rightly or wrongly God knows. But, whether true or false, my opinion is that in the world of knowledge the idea of good appears last of all, and is seen only with an effort; and, when seen, is also inferred to be the universal author of all things beautiful and right, parent of light and of the lord of light in this visible world, and the immediate source of reason and truth in the intellectual; and that this is the power upon which he who would act rationally, either in public or private life must have his eye fixed."

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grenade
a reply to: Itisnowagain

If you trust Fauci then there’s no hope for you.

How many times does he and his uk counterpart Ferguson have to get the models completely wrong before we stop trusting them.

I don't trust Fauci.....but I believe there will be a 2nd wave......because they want people to be begging for the vaccine.

Fauci said in 2017 'there is definitely going to be a surprise virus'!!!

How can anyone know about a surprise virus? Unless they have control over it?

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 08:00 AM
link   

You lost me a God mate, he canny fix COVID nether.

Good and evil are very human constructs, nature entertains no such delusions, aka the likes of covid 19 for instance.

I've got some gardening to do today, so any further replies may be a bit sporadic.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 08:00 AM
link   

I hear you mate, also nobody is curious as to why one of the only places in the world experimenting on the corona virus happened to be the place the virus started.

Nothing to see here lads, move along, bats, blame the bats quick.
Nothing to do with our virology lab working on this very concept of a new covid strain. Nothing at all.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 08:01 AM
link   

It was a quote from The Republic by Plato in reference to knowledge.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grenade

I hear you mate, also nobody is curious as to why one of the only places in the world experimenting on the corona virus happened to be the place the virus started.

Nothing to see here lads, move along, bats, blame the bats quick.
Nothing to do with our virology lab working on this very concept of a new covid strain. Nothing at all.

MERS Corona was used in the middle east.
Have you seen anything about the Funvax?

edit on 12-5-2020 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 08:06 AM
link   
On the statistics point:

It captures the deaths missed by lab testing, the misdiagnosed deaths, and the deaths caused by the strain the virus puts on our society: people not seeking or getting care for other conditions, or people suffering under the lockdown.

So we now count anyone with suspected corona and anyone who died as a result of lockdown even if they didn’t have the virus.

You can’t make this up.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 08:41 AM
link   
The government experts track record of predicting viral outbreaks:

Ferguson was behind the disputed research that sparked the mass culling of eleven million sheep and cattle during the 2001 outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease. He also predicted that up to 150,000 people could die. There were fewer than 200 deaths. . . .

In 2002, Ferguson predicted that between 50 and 50,000 people would likely die from exposure to BSE (mad cow disease) in beef. He also predicted that number could rise to 150,000 if there was a sheep epidemic as well. In the UK, there have only been 177 deaths from BSE.

In 2005, Ferguson predicted that up to 200 million people could be killed from bird flu. In the end, only 282 people died worldwide from the disease between 2003 and 2009. He told the Guardian that ‘around 40 million people died in 1918 Spanish flu outbreak… There are six times more people on the planet now so you could scale it up to around 200 million people probably.’

In 2009, Ferguson and his Imperial team predicted that swine flu had a case fatality rate 0.3 per cent to 1.5 per cent. His most likely estimate was that the mortality rate was 0.4 per cent. A government estimate, based on Ferguson’s advice, said a ‘reasonable worst-case scenario’ was that the disease would lead to 65,000 UK deaths.
In the end swine flu killed 457 people in the UK and had a death rate of just 0.026 per cent in those infected.

In March, Ferguson admitted that his Imperial College model of the COVID-19 disease was based on undocumented, 13-year-old computer code that was intended to be used for a feared influenza pandemic, rather than a coronavirus. Ferguson declined to release his original code so other scientists could check his results. He only released a heavily revised set of code last week, after a six-week delay.

Trust this mans expertise at your peril.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Yet this is a Monarchy and not a Republic.

I always a bit partial to the analogy of a cave myself.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I don’t understand your OP. You said it’s left answered if people can go outside? Ok so what is your question? Folks “to” can’t work from home can go back to work?

Im not one to be picky about grammar or spelling (bane of my existence) but come on. If your complaining about not understanding someone else, be a bit more clear... a reply to: Mysterychic88

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 09:12 AM
link   

It's an allegory but kudos for trying

Plato, Socrates and Aristotle should be on the curriculum imo, logic and reason are the foundations of learning.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Yes, i must have viewed the allegory instead of reading it just, because. LoL

Logic and reason suggest waiting to see what transpires first before venturing back outside given the current circumstance, it's pretty boolean as it comes, so there is that.

As to the Greek classics being part of the curriculum, i think some of them were when i was in school, seem to remember writing endless essays on the poems and plays, Willy Shakespeare was another hot topic if memory serves.
edit on 12-5-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 09:21 AM
link   

"Sense is fallacious, reason defective. We spend our lives in doubting of those things which other men evidently know and believing those things which they laugh at and despise."

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Berkeley’s renovation of the philosophy.

Reflections from Arendt per-chance?

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 09:35 AM
link   

I recognised your quote so thought it apt to our conversation.

My only experience of his works are those on vision and the philosophy of physics. Contrary to what you might think this whole pandemic nonsense leaves a sour taste in my mouth and is far from my real hobbies or interests.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 09:41 AM
link   

You could argue logic and reason to see what transpires before locking us up.

Double edged sword.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Well at least you seem to have some noble hobbies and interests, ile give you that.

This hole pandemic nonsense leaves a sour taste in everyone's mouth nevermind quite the hole in the pocket ta boot.

Life is precious all the same, but we need that Sun to come back up before we can all make hay again.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Nobody has been locked up Grenade.

As has been plainly pointed out to you a few times now, you are perfectly free to leave your home for exercise, supplies, and work if its a must, COVID 19 is a public health concern that somewhat supersedes any unfortunate breach of liberty.

Can't have our cake, and eat it.

It is how it is for better or worse, at least for the time being.

Lockdown cannot last forever, but it needs to last for as long as it must to be effective, which is another double-edged sword also.

Now i must tend to these Tomato plants, they are doing my box in. LoL

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Many people throughout the world have had their ability to provide for their families removed at the behest of governments acting upon models based on incomplete and flawed data sets.

Ask the poor Indian man queuing round the block for a bowl of rice if he would rather work and risk covid or risk watching his children starve to death.

The first world economies can support lockdown, i'm not so sure about the more impoverished within society.

news.sky.com...

"It comes as World Food Programme analysis suggests an additional 130 million people around the world "could be pushed to the brink of starvation by the end of 2020" as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic."

The same scientists you trust on Covid are predicting 130 million people could starve this year! More than any projection of mortality for the virus!

The measures you support will likely kill more people than the virus ever could. Which is the source of my opposition.

Not some selfish desire to go out drinking with my friends as some would lead you to believe.

Hand sanitizer, social distancing and sheltering in place isn't an option when you live in a tin shed with 20 other people and need to work to eat.

India isn't even an extreme example, have a look at the humanitarian crisis in Yemen, where aid has all but dried up since lockdown.
edit on 12/5/20 by Grenade because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join