It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lower Rates Of Infection Found Among Smokers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
There seems to be a relationship between smokers not being hit by this virus as bad. But they have not yet discovered why. It could be a lot of things. Smoking releases carbon dioxide, it also releases nitrous oxide and nitrous oxide kills viruses. The burning of tobacco turns some of the nicotine to nitrous oxide. When we consume nicotinic acid, the plant version of niacin, it also boosts nitrous oxide, nitrates in lettuce also get turned into nitrates quickly and turn into nitrous oxide and will espand the blood vessels effectively lowering blood pressure. I think that works by the ace1 activation which is similar to how taurine works. Taurine inhibits ace1 and increases ACE2 which should protect against this virus too, taurine is an amino acid similar to N-acetylcysteine which might be able to protect the body against this and not increase blood pressure. Taurine is a highly bioactive form of niacine tied to a type of sulfonamide side kick which can raise sulfide action too..

I cannot tell you if taurine will work in real life, only that evidence shows it could possibly help. I discovered this while researching if the taurine supplement I was taking will increase risk, it appears it will not.

Taurine...So smoking, steak and red bull...hmm...I switched to vaping 4 years ago, and while I don't eat steak daily, I'd be willing to! Red Bull, morning staple.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

On purpose though, right? I've always found that if I need ten minutes to myself the best way to get it is to wander off somewhere away from the herd and light up a smoke.

It's an instant people remover. Thank god.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s

On purpose though, right?

Good question. Perspective based I guess. I smoked like a chimney for 25 years, but it was sort of fashionable back then. I remember coming back from Korea and a cop telling me as I walked through the terminal that I couldn't have a lit cigarette.

I started smoking because it was easier than finding a place to spit from chewing tobacco. Maybe they oughta see if people that chew or dip seem to be more immune. I'm betting people who make use of tobacco are no more 'immune' than anyone else. I recall seeing some British woman who had barely just recovered telling everyone who smoked they better quit. Eye-opener ... without a doubt.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 09:13 AM
link   

I have... doubts. Especially about a random woman in the UK, but that's neither here nor there.

I doubt smoking is good for me or anyone else, to be honest. But damn if it ain't a terrific excuse to get away from 300 morons in a workplace or at a party for ten minutes or so.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

Also, also...outside getting some sun today and had a smoke and wondered if the HEAT from smoke into the lungs would aid in resisting an infection.

Thinking cap well and truly fixed on.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Ha, well this explains the hazy 'vision' of sorts I had 35ish years ago as I stored my newly bought " Winnie Blues-25s " up the sleeve of my t-shirt. Who'd of thunk back then that the eventual half mill $s spent would buy me some advantage over fellow citizens.
I say lift all pesky inside smoking bans at once for National security reasons !! Lol !!

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Oh TOBACCO...NVM

Perhaps a coating of resin on the lungs prevents the virus from taking hold?

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

Perhaps you know that nicotine has been used in the past as a pesticide on plants. Nicotine is toxic and it can kill bugs. Likely it would kill the virus also.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Salander

Perhaps you know that nicotine has been used in the past as a pesticide on plants. Nicotine is toxic and it can kill bugs. Likely it would kill the virus also.

Yes, I do know that.

I also have some Virginia tobacco seeds ready to sow this year.

If the weather stays dry enough and my back holds up long enough to dig some more space in my field out back. Pretty plant and quite quick growing apparently. Drying is the key and I hope I have the patience.

Can't wait to finally smoke JUST what I grow.

Anyone have a good idea for home made filters. I have rolled my own for decades but still use "roaches" made from paper or cardboard so time for something slightly more sensible. I know you can buy all natural ones these days rather than the traditional acetone ones in most ready-mades but seems silly to pay when I can make. Anyone?

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: fotsyfots
Ha, well this explains the hazy 'vision' of sorts I had 35ish years ago as I stored my newly bought " Winnie Blues-25s " up the sleeve of my t-shirt. Who'd of thunk back then that the eventual half mill $s spent would buy me some advantage over fellow citizens.
I say lift all pesky inside smoking bans at once for National security reasons !! Lol !!

Ahh, memories, pack of Winnie Blues under the sleeve. Lighter in the hip pocket of my jeans. Freedom.

Kind regards,

Bally

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO
a reply to: infolurker

I knew there had to be a plus side to this pesky habit. 🚬 🍻

I'm thinking there are probably a lot of things that will kill us that will also kill the virus.... not sure what that buys us though

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Wonder what that means to people who have been inhaling dirty exhaust from military aircraft for 20 years.

posted on Apr, 25 2020 @ 05:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: bally001

originally posted by: fotsyfots

Ahh, memories, pack of Winnie Blues under the sleeve. Lighter in the hip pocket of my jeans. Freedom.

Kind regards,

Bally

down the chippy for 20c min. chips with sauce , play some sit down "burnin' rubber " & slay the pinnies & crank out some lame smoko rings. Fark times were a ship load simpler back then & our pollies were more akin to gooberism & blow waved nancy hairstyles than widespread disinfo. ops. Ahh early 80's.

posted on Apr, 25 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   

I used to smoke pipes, so I love the smell of tobacco. I'm sure it is an artform bringing it to market.

posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   
This wouldn’t shock me if there’s a logical and legitimate reason smokers or tobacco users have a lower incidence of severe infection.

I chewed fresh Cope for 10 years. Pouches. Daily. I quit a couple of years ago and subsequently gained 30 lbs. got active (which I’ve always been, but more so now) and cant shed the weight. Giving it another go on that front now...

I say this as I have wondered at times which was the greater evil - chewing cope pouches and practicing good oral hygiene otherwise (dentist says I’m in good shape) or gain 30 lbs and potentially deal with other weight related health complications and also suffer more lower body related athletic injuries - which leaves me more open to weight gain and being sedentary.

I had a doctor that I used to go to - but he moved - tell me straight up that the data on chewing tobacco when consumed via a pouch is basically a non-issue health wise if you routinely brush your teeth and aren’t just sitting there with a half a can in 24/7. He said he has a chew anytime he’s doing yard work and he has zero worries about it.

So, I say all of this not to tell people to start using tobacco products but rather to say there’s a case to be made that tobacco isn’t as harmful as is propagated.

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaChaserwww.korea4expats.com...

Funny how south Korea is doing so well in the battle against the virus, but no wonder have you seen their smoking rates.www.korea4expats.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join