It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lower Rates Of Infection Found Among Smokers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Back in February we were discussing data out of China about the low infection rate of smokers compared the the ratio of smokers found in the general population. Why were smokers getting infected less often and could we trust the Chinese data? Well, It appears The US CDC and the French have found the same thing. Smokers as % of the population are at very low rates of infection. Now the French want to start passing out nicotine patches to patients and healthcare workers.

Here is the previous February thread for reference.

Covid 19 Percentages Of Patients With Smoking History Are Very Low
www.abovetopsecret.com...

French researchers to give nicotine patches to coronavirus patients and frontline workers after lower rates of infection were found among smokers

www.dailymail.co.uk...

A French study found that only 4.4% of 350 coronavirus patients hospitalized were regular smokers and 5.3% of 130 homebound patients smoked

This pales in comparison with at least 25% of the French population that smokes

Researchers theorized nicotine could prevent the virus from infecting cells or that nicotine was preventing the immune system from overreacting to the virus

To test this theory, hospitalized coronavirus patients, intensive care patients and frontline workers nicotine patches

Another study, by the Centers for Disease Control in the US, found just 1.3 per cent of hospitalized patients were smokers - compared to 14 per cent of America.

The researchers determined that far fewer smokers appear to have contracted the virus or, if they have, their symptoms are less serious.

edit on 23-4-2020 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Maybe it's not about nicotine but about how many smokers have a habit of inhaling less deeply.

They've been advocating it on packets for decades.

Not the chemistry but the biology perhaps.
edit on 23/4/2020 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

In the article it talks about nicotine may alter the ACE-2 receptors, which the coronavirus relies on as its gateway into the body.

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I knew there had to be a plus side to this pesky habit. 🚬 🍻

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
a reply to: nerbot

In the article it talks about nicotine may alter the ACE-2 receptors, which the coronavirus relies on as its gateway into the body.

The article also has the usual grammatical errors and deliberately confusing and incomplete statistics which is why my adblock still works great on "The Dail Fail".

Sorry, that is in no way a reflection on you bringing this story here. Thanks for posting, I'm going to read the other thread you started and linked above for information instead.

I also wonder what connections there are for those who "vape" and if there are any benefits or drawerbacks or statistics there. And of course, the big taboo would be those who smoke cannabis.

A friend of mine says it helps him breath much easier after he has had a J.

Cheers.

Edit To Add...Important...Has anyone considered the effects of some of the cigarette paper additives too like Salt Peter that keeps them burning or Gum Arabic for the glue etc? Also, Acetone in some filters.

Why should this just be about Nicotine? Just a thought. Hey, scientists...you readin' this?

edit on 23/4/2020 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Why are they only looking at nicotine, could CBD or THC not be involved here?

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Not bragging or nuthin' but some of us were well ahead of the curve.

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 11:43 PM
link   
There seems to be a relationship between smokers not being hit by this virus as bad. But they have not yet discovered why. It could be a lot of things. Smoking releases carbon dioxide, it also releases nitrous oxide and nitrous oxide kills viruses. The burning of tobacco turns some of the nicotine to nitrous oxide. When we consume nicotinic acid, the plant version of niacin, it also boosts nitrous oxide, nitrates in lettuce also get turned into nitrates quickly and turn into nitrous oxide and will espand the blood vessels effectively lowering blood pressure. I think that works by the ace1 activation which is similar to how taurine works. Taurine inhibits ace1 and increases ACE2 which should protect against this virus too, taurine is an amino acid similar to N-acetylcysteine which might be able to protect the body against this and not increase blood pressure. Taurine is a highly bioactive form of niacine tied to a type of sulfonamide side kick which can raise sulfide action too..

I cannot tell you if taurine will work in real life, only that evidence shows it could possibly help. I discovered this while researching if the taurine supplement I was taking will increase risk, it appears it will not.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Bubububut just a month ago we were told by all the experts here...nevermind, I'm tired of being right and bagging on people who just a month and a half ago told us all this was the end.

Time to just sit back with a GIANT crap eating grin on my face.

Anyone wanna buy some antibodies for research?

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: BoscoMoney
a reply to: rickymouse

Bubububut just a month ago we were told by all the experts here...nevermind, I'm tired of being right and bagging on people who just a month and a half ago told us all this was the end.

Time to just sit back with a GIANT crap eating grin on my face.

Anyone wanna buy some antibodies for research?

Bacon cures covid rumors could go viral.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Surely this is fake news. Seriously when Nixon wanted smoking banned he thought it was obviously bad for you, but his first study said it protected against lung cancer. We all know what happened from then on.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 01:26 AM
link   
This has happened before.

People with Sarcoidosis that smoke have almost no lung envolment

They also tried nicotine patches.

There are over 200 chemicals in cigarette smoke and it could be anyone of them.

As it is many smokers find nicotine patches are worthless in trying to quit.
There are a number of adicive chemicals in cigarette smoke

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 01:56 AM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

But the fact still remains that smoking gives a greater protection against Covid 19 despite the FDA trying to ban it in the general population, than anything else so far used how ironic.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I knew smoking my lungs out on some good Oregano would come in handy

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 03:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: ANNED
This has happened before.

People with Sarcoidosis that smoke have almost no lung envolment

They also tried nicotine patches.

There are over 200 chemicals in cigarette smoke and it could be anyone of them.

As it is many smokers find nicotine patches are worthless in trying to quit.
There are a number of adicive chemicals in cigarette smoke

You are right that this has been seen before. The answer is given many hundreds of years ago, actually. Native American shamans knew the properties of the plant to boost the spiritual defence against evil spirits, a.k.a in 2020 - disease, moreover they used it heavily for all ailment treatment. Yes, excessive smoking has terrible effect on the body, but excessive drink of water can harm you as well. If you get my point...

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: DarkestConspiracyMoon
I knew smoking my lungs out on some good Oregano would come in handy

And a sprinkle of Turmeric powder perhaps.

Kind regards,

Bally

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: DarkestConspiracyMoon

It gets more bizarre as one thinks about it, like if the population of smokers was at the level it was before the tax increases and the anti smoking propaganda, assuming the new data is true. Then the virus would not have been noticed and would have just passed as the flue. because the RO number would have been to low to turn into an epidemic.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity
a reply to: DarkestConspiracyMoon

It gets more bizarre as one thinks about it, like if the population of smokers was at the level it was before the tax increases and the anti smoking propaganda, assuming the new data is true. Then the virus would not have been noticed and would have just passed as the flue. because the RO number would have been to low to turn into an epidemic.

Or cancer?

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Well, if it is the nicotine, I picked a really crappy time to quit vaping.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
There seems to be a relationship between smokers not being hit by this virus as bad. But they have not yet discovered why.

I'm betting it's because smokers have become today's social pariah.

<<   2 >>

join