It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Author of Infamous Nigerian Bank Scam Email Get 8 Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   
A Northern California man of Nigerian decent was sentenced today to 8 years in jail for running an email scam. The International scam netted Roland Adams, 38, and the rest of his group more than 2.1 million dollars. Adams and others would pose as Nigerian officials seeking assistance in retrieving money from bogus trusts or accounts. The unsuspecting recipient would then send money in the form of "bank fee" for a percentage of the take.

sfgate.com
A Sacramento man of Nigerian descent was sentenced to more than eight years in federal prison Friday for running an international investment scam that defrauded investors of more than $2.1 million through a Nigerian advance fee scheme.

Roland Adams, 38, admitted that he conspired with others in Nigeria, South Africa and Canada to run the scheme. Potential investors were mailed letters supposedly from African government officials who wanted help in diverting millions of dollars held in bogus trusts or accounts.

In exchange for a future share of the fictitious money, the victims were persuaded to send in fees of several thousand to several hundred thousand dollars to individuals or accounts around the world.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

A sucker is born every minute. How many of us got this email or one of its forms. How could anybody fall for such a bogus scheme. If it sound too good to be true then it is!

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 01:19 AM
link   
When ever I got copies of those emails I always forwarded them to the FBI SEC and the local law enforcement agency in the areas of thier IP addresses. That slowed it down pretty good.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Do their victims life in the darkages??? One would have thought that 419 had enough internet/newpaper coverage to make people wary ???

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Lots of scams out there-

New Scam
The new scheme starts with an e-mail from a phony bank, claiming that a large amount of money has been placed into a new account opened in the recipient's name. A link to the bogus bank is included, along with an account number and a PIN.

While I have seen a few of these by far the Nigerian scheme has loaded my mailbox the most.

The two I recollect (although vaguely) the most are these:
The Nigerian, as above, but a U.S. lawyer got sucked in for somewhere around $5k
(maybe bogus in itself)

There was an Internet bank that operated for years then disappeared. Supposedly million$ were lost.

I've searched Google for both with no results, so maybe these are creative memory.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 02:45 AM
link   

REQUEST FOR URGENT BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP

FIRST, I MUST SOLICIT YOUR STRICTEST CONFIDENCE IN THIS TRANSACTION. THIS IS BY VIRTUE OF ITS NATURE AS BEING UTTERLY CONFIDENTIAL AND 'TOP SECRET'. I AM SURE AND HAVE CONFIDENCE OF YOUR ABILITY AND RELIABILITY TO PROSECUTE (me) A TRANSACTION OF THIS GREAT MAGNITUDE INVOLVING A PENDING TRANSACTION REQUIRING MAXIIMUM (Sentancing) CONFIDENCE.

WE ARE TOP OFFICIAL OF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT CONTRACT REVIEW PANEL WHO ARE INTERESTED IN IMPORATION OF GOODS INTO OUR COUNTRY WITH FUNDS WHICH ARE PRESENTLY TRAPPED IN NIGERIA. IN ORDER TO COMMENCE THIS BUSINESS WE SOLICIT YOUR ASSISTANCE TO ENABLE US TRANSFER INTO YOUR ACCOUNT THE SAID TRAPPED FUNDS. (Ackbar: Its a trap)

Prison's too good for them, siezing all their assets would be better

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I have been scambaiting for a couple of months and that also pretty fun to do, those lads really dont have much to do there over in Nigeria, also pretty funny to read someone else's posts

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I'm glad they got this guy. I had two e-mails this past year form a Nigeran woman who was doing this same thing and they may be one and the same. This is another example of stupid people trying to take advantage of the innocent. LOUD APPLAUSE!

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I'm glad they got THIS guy too, but by now do you really think there is only one guy/group doing this? It has been going on for years and can't all be coming from the same source at this point. I hope they are onto more of them too, I have been seeing these since the mid-eighties.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Don't expect this scam to go away any time soon, the blueprint for this scam dates back to the 1920's Spanish prisoner con, which IMO was probably based on some other older scam. People have been playing on the greed of other people for a very long time (thousands of years) and aren't likely to stop now.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Not only are the victims greedy but so is the perpetrator. Had he stopped at a million he might have got away with it. With that amount of money involved is it any wonder new scams are appearing.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
well thats one down how many more to go.
i have recieved a few of these as well. i can understand how people can get sucked in as it preys upon peoples greed. now most "law abideing" people would never even think about helping someone circumvent the law, but alas we all have a weak spot for "free" money. in all honesty i found it to be a unique scam in the fact that most scams are preying upon people's kind hearts with some sob story of some sort. i am actualy torn between feeling sorry for the ripped of people and laughing at the fact that they were being corrupt just to try it.
i will be honest enough to admit that my kneejerk reaction the first time i saw it was cool free money. but wait since when is money free? it would have been nice tho (sigh)

new topics

top topics

join