It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Covid: clean your groceries from the supermarket ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

originally posted by: maskim
I'm already doing this with every object that enters my home, but i haven't been able to figure out a good way
to disinfect unpackaged products like vegetables and bread.

Things without a peel like carrots, lettuce, cabbage, etc.
Won't spraying them with 70% alcohol make them taste bad?
For bread i figure i can just put it in the oven for a minute or two on max temperature, that should be enough.

seriously...soap is alkaline. It will do the job. wow

Yes, we are fortunate that Covid19's fat membrane is easily dissolved with simple soap.

This is Why Soap is So Effective Against Coronavirus

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ahamarlin

I've been doing a lysol spray and letting them sit for a few minutes before I put them up. I'm trying to preserve the disinfectant wipes because they are easy to use and convenient. I like having them on hand.

Anything pulled from shelves at eye level is in direct line for those coughing as they shop.

Probably overkill, but, whatever I can do to VOLUNTARILY help prevent the spread I am doing. I've even prohibited my kids from play that might result in injury...trying to avoid any potential ER trips.

Meanwhile, one of my more irrational friends is vehemently in disagreement with my doubt in certain government measures infringing on our Constitutional protections. His argument is always about hospital capacity for patients. Has it kept him from spending his time in self-isolation drunk? Nope. Liver failure hospitalization is a major healthcare burden but he insists it's unreasonable to expect people to not drink when they are so scared, right now.

No, I don't really think he should have to put the liquor away, but I am disgusted that he wants to others to leap to draconian measures when he knows he's not willing to do things that could conceivably help.

I'll do all I can to help...but I won't agree to give up my protections from government overreach.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: CraftyArrow
a reply to: recrisp

That's right, the strong survive, the weak live in a bubble.... enjoy your bubble!

right now the "strong" are selfish carriers

and killers

NO

premeditated murderers of the weak

using your own "cutsie" analogy

and your by default, suggested behavior pattern for others to follow

That is how brilliant your quip is.

edit on 3/21/20 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

Tend to agree with that as not everyone is invincible, the old and immunocompromised for one.

And let's face facts the invincibility is all in their heeds.

This is a danger to everyone, just like the Spanish Flu 100 years ago.

No immunity equates to caution, else you are simply being stupid.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: maskim

I'll throw this up for debate.
If you fill a 1 gallon jar of regular chlorinated tap water and leave it setting uncapped the chlorine will eventually evaporate away leaving a gallon of water. If you rinse your vegetables with chlorinated water and leave it out to dry, the chlorine will evaporate.
What do you think , folks?

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ahamarlin

There are some produce items that should always be sanitized before use.

Household bleach works for this and it doesn’t contain other chemicals.

waterandhealth.org...

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: BlueJacket

You're not going to contract Wuflu from vegetables, you contact it from human contact. You don't know who your family came in contact with or if they are even infected.... There's your problem. If you have kids, your exposure rate went up 100%

The wuflu is very sneeky, don't open your doors. It floats on the wind!!!

Be careful with your mail...you don't know who's been touching it!!!

Fomite transmission of coronavirus is a real danger.. Ask any doctor, nurse.. You know what. I give up. enjoy your ignorance..

Now I understand how flat earthers are a thing.
edit on 3/21/2020 by clay2 baraka because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesTthe chlorine will evaporate.

A gallon jar, assuming it's plastic, can't absorb any water.
I think a vegetable would be able to absorb some of the chlorine before it evaporates.
Probably the same with soap or alcohol, unless you wash it off quickly.
Would depend on the outer layer of the vegetable as well.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Can the coronavirus really live for 3 days on plastic? Yes, but it's complicated.

When the scientists placed virus-laden droplets on plastic, they found that half of the virus was gone after about seven hours. Half of what remained was gone after another seven hours, and so on. By the end of Day Two, there was less than 1/100 of the original amount, and after three days the remnants were barely detectable.

For stainless steel, the half-life for the virus was five or six hours, and for cardboard it was even shorter: less than four hours.

The surface on which the virus had the shortest duration was copper, which has long been known for its antimicrobial properties. When droplets were placed on the reddish metal, half of the virus died off within 45 minutes.

Generally, the smaller the exposure to a virus, the less likely it will develop into a full-blown infection, Poland told Minnesota Public Radio on a call-in show broadcast nationally Wednesday. And when a virus is exposed to sunlight and warmer temperatures, as might be likely with mail, it is likely to decay even faster than what the scientists found in their indoor experiment, he said.
"The fact that you could identify a virus on a surface does not mean it is necessarily infectious," he said.
Still, it can't hurt to wash your hands after taking groceries out of the bag, opening a newly delivered envelope, or retrieving the newspaper. Soap and water does the job.

edit on 21-3-2020 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-3-2020 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   
The rule is the less porous it is, the more it needs disinfecting.

It lives longer on non-porous surfaces like stainless steel.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: recrisp
There is not ONE person here that knows what is going to happen, has happened, or might happen.
There may be things that we see on here (and elsewhere) that sounds crazy, if someone does that, DON'T mock them, they are trying to do what they think is best.

What I see on this site is enough to make me sick.
People that THINK they KNOW what is best for everyone, or they act like they have the answers, either way, we do not have any answers.
There are people here that after reading what they type must be doctors or virologists, I can only assume that they are not because we can't [prove it either way.

ALL of us need to step back and 'think' about what this 'could me', and is doing to thousands of people around the world, and, what 'could' happen to a LOT of people.

I apologize to REAL doctors that might be on here, but if you are NOT a real doctor, please don't act like you have ALL of the answers, you do not have anything except an opinion, just like we all have.

You say, "It's only the flu!", "It's nothing more than a cold!", "Stop panicking!", etc. Who are you to tell any of us that?

Others that do panic are only doing that (mostly) because of what they read or see, we don't know what they read or see. So, how can YOU tell them what is the right thing?

EVERYONE here needs to get off of their high horse and think about the seriousness of this entire thing, maybe we need to consider what you say, but not believe what you say, because you have a past here, we know the crazy ones, and the sane ones.
I will say this, I am really, REALLY disappointed in a LOT of people here that I used to respect, they are as crazy sounding as the ones that they say are crazy. There are people that are VERY intelligent here, but, I am seeing more and more of them turn into complete jerks that THEY are right, because THEY said so.

It's talked about coming together, and doing this, and that, nobody here is coming together, at all. It's sickening.

I said in my last thread that I was "going to do me", and I got raked over the coals, just for looking out for myself, well, screw all of you that don't give a crap about anyone but yourselves, 'you do you', but don't try and 'do me'.

There are more trouble makers here than there is on any place on Earth, I feel, and smart-mouthed funny guys that always interrupt others and disrupt what could be a serious thing. Yes, I understand why, but that is not needed by the 'same people' and in every post or thread.

Let people have their own opinions if they want, there is nothing at all wrong with voicing your own opinion, but don't be a COMPLETE DUMBASS about it all!

I am SURE that the idiot know-it-alls are going to come to gut me, I won't answer any of you, not unless you can talk like a regular, everyday, nice person, you know, they way I bet that you ALL talk to others in person.

Try being a responsible adult for a change, most of the idiots here act like they are teenagers, but I am shocked to find out all of the time that they are in fact, around retirement ages.

ADDED: I do want to say that this is not directed at the OP or any particular individual on this thread... I am just sick of the craziness...

Why are you shocked they're retirement age? When I worked retail older people were BY FAR the most nasty and entitled people I had to deal with, also the most stupid.

2nd: Retail workers need hazard pay right now. Hospitals may turn you away, but retail is keeping society going. Not the heros you want, the ones you need.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Thank you intergalactic fire and Creep Thumper, that's very valuable information.

But then there's this part:

Had researchers used bigger or more droplets, they would have detected some viruses remaining on plastic after more than three days, in theory

Either way, good to know.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Flesh699
I guess, "shocked" because I assumed the way they acted they were young, that's all.

Still, there are some VERY intelligent people here, even if they are older, just because they are old doesn't mean that they are jerks, but a lot of the times, it does mean exactly that.

I guess all I have been saying for a while is... Why can't people just be nicer to each other? (I ain't one to sing 'kumbaya' either!)
Why can't we 'talk' and help each other, why we some feel the need to jab others all day long, every day?
I just don't get it, I really don't.
What is REALLY surprising is, I have noticed that a lot of the people that I usually disagree with are now acting what I feel is 'smart'. That doesn't mean I am right, but I am agreeing with the way they are talking about the virus.
That just goes to show you, sometimes people just need to pull together and let the past be the past and work on what we need to get through this.

All we can do on all of this is do the best we can, and if they, the people that want to poke fun of people trying to make the best life of what we have going now, want to be the way they are, let 'em.
If they are right, I will come back and gladly say what an idiot I was/am. It's not about me being right, it's about what we need to do that is right, and if they don't believe, I am not going to make fun of them, actively hunting them out and saying how crazy I think they are.

If, for some reason, we don't have a major catastrophe in the recent weeks, it might be that those in charge/decision makers did possibly make the right decisions, or some other reason. The NEXT time though, there will be no getting away from these people because, yet again, they are right and there is nothing to worry about because it's only a 'name your disease/war/famine' here, they've all seen it before.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: The2Billies

That's right, the strong survive, the weak live in a bubble.... enjoy your bubble!

and killers

NO

All I said, is most of you have OCD... and only responding to an idiotic comment on the previous page.

Just remember this....

The Native Americans Indians died out by stealing infested blankets.... Millennials will die out by Hand Sanitizer and Lysol....

can I get a MEME on how to weaken your immune system? : P

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: maskim
Thank you intergalactic fire and Creep Thumper, that's very valuable information.

But then there's this part:

Had researchers used bigger or more droplets, they would have detected some viruses remaining on plastic after more than three days, in theory

Either way, good to know.

Of course, you have to consider environmental conditions as well.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: conspiracytheoristIAM

Some forms of Lysol are not effective against it. Check the back. It needs to say it's effective against SARS.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   

and killers

NO

All I said, is most of you have OCD... and only responding to an idiotic comment on the previous page.

Just remember this....

The Native Americans Indians died out by stealing infested blankets. ... Millennials will die out by Hand Sanitizer and Lysol....

They didn't steal them. The blankets were deliberately given to them to kill them.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 07:42 PM
link   

and killers

NO

Just remember this....

The Native Americans Indians died out by stealing infested blankets.... Millennials will die out by Hand Sanitizer and Lysol....

Memes spread like viruses

Didn't you know that? Duh! (sigh and roll my eyes hands on hips)

Memes that spread, oh who gives a #%^ if old people die, like yours. Well they spread faster.

Congrats on your little cutie meme that spreads ignorance and malice like a virus!

You are so darling, sweetie. Smooch from Grandma! Oops, you want Grandma on a ventilator, sorry ... no smooch from Grandma - go and give your Grandma a big kiss after you party hard with your "strong" friends darlin. I"m sure she is so proud of you, hope you share your avatar and all your posts with her!

Read this if you dare: legalinsurrection.com...-312473

I write this, Italy has 47,021 active cases of the Wuhan Coronavirus. 5,129 have recovered. 4,032 have died. That’s 800 more than China (assuming their numbers are correct), and the number is certain to grow.
Who cares? Right, the strong live the weak die, meh, according to you.
Also, did you know a Democrat Congressman is now in critical condition with the virus. No big deal huh!

edit on 3/21/20 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Creep Thumper

and killers

NO

Just remember this....

The Native Americans Indians died out by stealing infested blankets. ... Millennials will die out by Hand Sanitizer and Lysol....

They didn't steal them. The blankets were deliberately given to them to kill them.

They did steal them, the gifted blanket story is true, but it didn't work.... because the Indians had already caught smallpox from stealing colonist supplies.

So your saying you have an OCD problem?

Just stating facts: sanitizers can weaken the immune system, disrupt your hormones, cause alcohol poisoning if swallowed, or cause resistance to antibiotics. And probably cause cancer....

edit on 21-3-2020 by CraftyArrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Let's play nice....

All rules for polite debate will be enforced.

Community Announcement re: Decorum

Is There Civilization Without Civility

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join