It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Covid: clean your groceries from the supermarket ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Hi,
I've told some friends that I am cleaning my groceries (disinfect the packaging) and they all started laughing.
Now I don't know who touched my groceries before they ended in my home: production/packaging/store owner staff/delivery people etc.
No way to know what there hygienic and health situation was right?
So I am cleaning my supermarket stuff before I put them in my pantry or fridge.

I read articles about how long the covid virus survives on different surfaces and conditions. Not sure what to believe but it varies between a few hours to several days. Why would you do your best to isolate yourself to ""flatten the curve" if you get the virus inside your family home from contaminated groceries?
So yes I feel a little stupid wiping my freshly bought groceries with a soap or alcohol wipe but still I keep doing it.

What do you think ATS?

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Better safe than sorry, I'll support any behavior aimed at reducing the severity of what is happening to us all.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I went shopping Monday and the clerk touches every single package to scan, she was rubbing her eyes and mouth a lot. After seeing this I did the same thing when I got home. Clorox wiped every single item. My county has no reported infections but still you never know.

a reply to: ahamarlin

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ahamarlin.

I don't care what anyone thinks....yup..... i just came back from the local grocery and I'm wiping down all with lysol and paper towels ....a fact I just learned....cold doesn't help kill any virus, cold actually causes a virus to form a protective shield around the virus....according to what I googled

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 10:01 AM
link   

sorry, Im going to say its ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Picking up groceries this moment.

My 86 yer old mother in Georgia told me this am to be sure and wipe all my groceries with Lysol.

I always mind my mother. You should, too.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 10:09 AM
link   
We did Walmart pick up.

We did what our friend who is doing chemo is doing.

We had the Walmart employee put the groceries in a laundry basket.

We put on plastic disposable gloves I bought long ago for crafting.

At home we took out the groceries and laid them on the garage floor and threw away the plastic bags in the outside garbage. (the virus lives 1 week on plastic)

Then we put aside items we won't touch for a week, some canned goods, some beverages, they will stay put and next week we'll put them away.

The items that go in the fridge got wiped down with sanitizing wipes, as did EVERYTHING we will be using within a week.

Then we wiped down the laundry baskets and have left them wiped down in another part of the garage for the past few days, probably won't touch them for a week as they held the plastic bags and getting into the openings that air the laundry is not easy.

Next we WASHED our hands. They have found that soap for 30 sec does a better job than sanitizers. Then we sanitized our hands.

We are in our 60's and I am recovering from major surgery.

We wipe down mail and ALL amazon/etc. deliveries with sanitizing wipes.

We went to the bank drive-in to get lots of $5 for tips for delivery people, we'll tape the bills on the front door.
We are letting the money sit in an open ziplock bag for 3 days before touching it. Then we'll sanitize after touching the bills.

Are we nutty. I don't think so. I am early 60's but recovering from surgery so am at exponentially higher risk of death from the virus. My husband is late 60's and a male, and recent research shows elderly males are more likely to die from the virus than females. We also care for my 86 year old healthy and active mother.

Our children/grandchildren need us when this is all over. My daughter is an executive as is her husband and we drive the kids to activities they would not be able to do without us. We also do after school pickup. We do lots of volunteering in the community. Even my 86 year old Mom volunteers teaching computing at a center. We, like many seniors are important to the smooth functioning of our little society. Even though most 20's etc., see us as parasites that do nothing, which is a gross misunderstanding of the function of the retired within society.

edit on 3/21/20 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Actually a very sensible decision, think about it you go into a supermarket with no knowledge of whom has handled the product before you (always remember all supermarkets put the older stock to the front of the shelf and the stock with the longer expiry date to the back of it and bring it forward when they restock the shelf putting fresher always to the back).

From staff to other customers that packaging may have been touched by anyone and while most bug's are probably not going to harm you at time's like this it is always better to be safe than sorry.

I have been known in the past well before this outbreak to use a Detol disinfectant wipe to give two liter bottles of milk etc a wipe down on the outside before I put them into our household refrigerator so you are not alone.

Now there is something to be said about being TOO clean, your immune system need's to know bug's are still out there or you can lose immunity but in this case at this time what you are doing is actually very sensible good practice, good on you.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Yes, and the cardboard from all the online orders. It can survive on cardboard for 24-hours. I put them in the garage, spray Lysol, leave them for a day.

link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

You're not going to contract Wuflu from vegetables, you contact it from human contact. You don't know who your family came in contact with or if they are even infected.... There's your problem. If you have kids, your exposure rate went up 100%

The wuflu is very sneeky, don't open your doors. It floats on the wind!!!

Be careful with your mail...you don't know who's been touching it!!!

edit on 21-3-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

link   

I don’t think it’s crazy, a little overboard but not crazy. I use self checkouts and stocked up a month ago. Dairy and produce tho are something you’ll need on a regular basis. Not that big of a deal to wash produce, should anyway. Milk it’s not hard to just wipe it down.

For dry goods just leave it qurentined in the bags, in a spare room, garage, ect for 10 days. Don’t waste those precious wipes/sprays!

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 10:14 AM
link   
We don't clean them now, but maybe if the disease comes around here we might start. I may be older, but I do not have much risk for this disease. People at higher risk can just let their groceries stay in the bag for a while, except stuff that needs to be refrigerated or put in the freezer.

I am not going to fear this disease, but there may be other viruses in the near future that we need to fear. I am glad we are boosting the way our country responds, we will be prepared for the big one.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 10:25 AM
link   
When one of your relatives contracts the China flu, what are you going to do? Not take care of them because of your chance of getting it as well.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 10:47 AM
link   
My wife is a bit of a germaphobe and she tends to wipe down/disinfect our groceries. She has been doing it the past several years.

I was reading an article about the unintended consequences of a lot of stores and cities going green by banning single use plastic bags is that reusable bags are dirty and harbor germs. The reason is that customer rarely wash the bags and bring them back to the store to reuse spreading germs.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

You're not going to contract Wuflu from vegetables, you contact it from human contact.

Really? So if someone that was infected touched a tomato and the virus was on the outside of the tomato now and still active, and you picked it up before washing it you can't get infected? Right. You may want to go back and read up on how this is spread and why people are protecting themselves from touching things others have touched.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 11:22 AM
link   
There is not ONE person here that knows what is going to happen, has happened, or might happen.
There may be things that we see on here (and elsewhere) that sounds crazy, if someone does that, DON'T mock them, they are trying to do what they think is best.

What I see on this site is enough to make me sick.
People that THINK they KNOW what is best for everyone, or they act like they have the answers, either way, we do not have any answers.
There are people here that after reading what they type must be doctors or virologists, I can only assume that they are not because we can't [prove it either way.

ALL of us need to step back and 'think' about what this 'could me', and is doing to thousands of people around the world, and, what 'could' happen to a LOT of people.

I apologize to REAL doctors that might be on here, but if you are NOT a real doctor, please don't act like you have ALL of the answers, you do not have anything except an opinion, just like we all have.

You say, "It's only the flu!", "It's nothing more than a cold!", "Stop panicking!", etc. Who are you to tell any of us that?

Others that do panic are only doing that (mostly) because of what they read or see, we don't know what they read or see. So, how can YOU tell them what is the right thing?

EVERYONE here needs to get off of their high horse and think about the seriousness of this entire thing, maybe we need to consider what you say, but not believe what you say, because you have a past here, we know the crazy ones, and the sane ones.
I will say this, I am really, REALLY disappointed in a LOT of people here that I used to respect, they are as crazy sounding as the ones that they say are crazy. There are people that are VERY intelligent here, but, I am seeing more and more of them turn into complete jerks that THEY are right, because THEY said so.

It's talked about coming together, and doing this, and that, nobody here is coming together, at all. It's sickening.

I said in my last thread that I was "going to do me", and I got raked over the coals, just for looking out for myself, well, screw all of you that don't give a crap about anyone but yourselves, 'you do you', but don't try and 'do me'.

There are more trouble makers here than there is on any place on Earth, I feel, and smart-mouthed funny guys that always interrupt others and disrupt what could be a serious thing. Yes, I understand why, but that is not needed by the 'same people' and in every post or thread.

Let people have their own opinions if they want, there is nothing at all wrong with voicing your own opinion, but don't be a COMPLETE DUMBASS about it all!

I am SURE that the idiot know-it-alls are going to come to gut me, I won't answer any of you, not unless you can talk like a regular, everyday, nice person, you know, they way I bet that you ALL talk to others in person.

Try being a responsible adult for a change, most of the idiots here act like they are teenagers, but I am shocked to find out all of the time that they are in fact, around retirement ages.

ADDED: I do want to say that this is not directed at the OP or any particular individual on this thread... I am just sick of the craziness...
edit on 21-3-2020 by recrisp because: ADDED: I do want to say that this is not directed at the OP or any particular individual on this thread... I am just sick of the craziness...

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten

You're not going to contract Wuflu from vegetables, you contact it from human contact.

Really? So if someone that was infected touched a tomato and the virus was on the outside of the tomato now and still active, and you picked it up before washing it you can't get infected? Right. You may want to go back and read up on how this is spread and why people are protecting themselves from touching things others have touched.

I understand...be sure and wash your mail!!! And wash your family if they went out in the world, you have no idea who they may have contacted.

Better safe than sorry!!

I find it ironic that those that claim to hate the media have now latched on to and believe every doom and gloom, scare tactic story on TV.
edit on 21-3-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Want some fun read the Nuclear Regulatory Commission Rules for Pandemics. We have lots of people around here starting lockdown today. No family contact stay in your motel or camper. People will bring you food and you will have safe food at work. 12 hr days for 30 days. Then group 3 & 4 take over and 1 & 2 Relax but are still lockdowned for the foreseeable future.They are bringing more people in for groups 5 & 6.

Medical checks every day on your way in and out.

Eat and drink whatever you want but it will be delivered to you after sanitizing.

Paid 24-7 and most will make over $20,000 a month and get a normal paid month off for everyone they work when this is over. Retires are being requested if they want to return.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten

I understand...be sure and wash your mail!!! And wash your family if they went out in the world, you have no idea who they may have contacted.

Better safe than sorry!!

Making fun of the others here that are trying to stay safe is ridiculous. If someone goes a little overboard what does it matter to you?

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Use peroxide in a spray bottle.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join