It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major earthquake strikes in Caribbean between Jamaica and Cuba

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Seems this is getting kind of close to home. I don't remember ever having an earthquake in this area but I really haven't been keeping up with this to know for sure.

We have a confirmed 7.7 earthquake followed up with a tsunami warning for the Caribbean. I'd post only the important info but it was rather short so here you go.

Jan 28 (Reuters) - A powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck in the sea south of Cuba on Tuesday, triggering a tsunami warning for Cuba, Jamaica and the Cayman Islands, the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the International Tsunami Information Center said.

The epicenter of the quake, initially reported as magnitude 7.3 before being upgraded, was between Jamaica, the Cayman Islands and Cuba, at a shallow depth of 6.2 miles (10 km).

The quake was not strongly felt in the Cuban capital of Havana or in Kingston, Jamaica, according to Reuters witnesses.

Meanwhile, Mikhail Campbell, a police media relations officer in the Cayman Islands, said he was not immediately aware of any reports of serious damage.

Tsunami warnings were quickly issued.

"Hazardous tsunami waves from this earthquake are possible within 300 km (186 miles) of the epicenter along the coasts of Jamaica... Cayman Islands and Cuba," the International Tsunami Information Center said.

The disaster management agency for the Cayman Islands government on Twitter urged people to move away from coastal areas and said that those in low-lying areas should "evacuate vertically" in strong multi-story buildings. (Reporting by Mekhla Raina in Bengaluru and Dave Graham in Mexico City; Editing by Bernadette Baum, Sandra Maler and Nick Zieminski)
Source

So great... Let's just throw a good old 7.7 on top of all of the other crazy going on today...
edit on 28-1-2020 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Yikes! I'm in a couple "Cruise" groups on facebook and they are posting they felt the quake down there. Be amazing to see a Tsunami hit a 16 deck super cruise liner.

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

jamaicans.com...

Almost 113 years ago to the day Jamaica had their last major quake. It was considerably smaller than the one today. Not good.

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 03:03 PM
link   
That is a pretty big quake. I wonder what effect the energy in the water will have on the oil wells in the gulf.

I just looked at the earthquake map and the gulf is pretty shielded there because of the way Cuba and Mexico are situated. You would think that Mexico could be effected by a tsunami too to a certain extent.

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 03:04 PM
link   

7.7 Holy smokes...

I'm listening for updates but not hearing any - so I'll follow the thread here for more (I hope)...

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Trump’s fault.

🤣

Looks like it was just a rumbler, in the water.

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

That would be bad!

Would it affect the ship if the ship is already in deep water? I was under the impression that the wave will only gain height once it travels over the shallows - as in the wave rises with the land.

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Don't forget about the Cayman Islands. They're in that area as well.

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Looks like some sinks holes as a result in the Cayman islands and some boats sunk, and some car damage.

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Jabba the Jihadi must have had a slip & fall in Git-mo...

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Another quake just hit... 6.3 in the area..

Earthquakes Tsunamis
@NewEarthquake
·
1m
6.3 earthquake, 49km SE of East End, Cayman Islands. 2020-01-28 16:55:16 at epicenter (6m ago, depth 21km). earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Jabba the Jihadi must have had a slip & fall in Git-mo...

Dude, those guys are people of the desert not people of the sea. I'm calling it. "Release the Kraken"
The unbelievers shall face punishment.

edit on 28-1-2020 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

Damn, area really has woken up

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 05:18 PM
link   
In the past couple of hours there's been a lot of aftershocks.

USGS

The first one was so big that buildings in Miami and Kendall shook for a good while. Many tall buildings were evacuated just in case.

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 06:06 PM
link   

VolcANO'S, eARTHQUAKES, Plagues... whatever next?

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: CrazeeWorld777

Betelgeuse Supernova blast hit earth... who knows

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Last week it was millions of locusts in Africa!

www.foxnews.com...

WOQ

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 06:52 PM
link   
To get a better understanding of the area........

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Didnt feel anything in Key West. I'm surprised folks 100 more miles away felt something.

Fortunately it did not trigger a significant tsunami. However I think Jamaica maybe harder hit than initially reported.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: wasobservingquietly

Last week it was millions of locusts in Africa!

www.foxnews.com...

WOQ

oh yeah, forgot that one.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join