It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China has quarantined the city of Wuhan.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:13 AM
link   
nationalpost.com...

BEIJING — China’s capital city Beijing canceled major public events including two well-known Lunar New Year temple fairs, the state-run Beijing News said on Thursday, as authorities try to curb the spread of a deadly coronavirus outbreak.

Separately, the country’s railway operator, China State Railway Group, said passengers would be able to receive full refunds on tickets nationwide starting on Friday. (Reporting by Tony Munroe; editing by John Stonestreet)

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:16 AM
link   

BREAKING: Chinese officials say a 3rd city, Chibi with a population of nearly half a million, will be put on lockdown to prevent the spread of coronavirus

twitter.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
nationalpost.com...

BEIJING — China’s capital city Beijing canceled major public events including two well-known Lunar New Year temple fairs, the state-run Beijing News said on Thursday, as authorities try to curb the spread of a deadly coronavirus outbreak.

Separately, the country’s railway operator, China State Railway Group, said passengers would be able to receive full refunds on tickets nationwide starting on Friday. (Reporting by Tony Munroe; editing by John Stonestreet)

Wow! Beijing is cancelling festivities for Chinese New Year. That's like if we cancelled Christmas!

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: EndtheMadnessNow

With the busiest travel season for them coming on, if they think they have even a minor magnitude problem, it makes sense to try to cut travel.

Think US during Christmas or Thanksgiving only days more and with many more people.

China being authoritarian can get away with it too.

Doesn't mean they don't have a problem. I think they do, but it also doesn't mean this is exclusively because of the disease, but more a combo of the disease added into the fact of the season. Would they be this quick to shut down regular traffic during a normal time of year?

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Things are alot worse than they appear......

The virus is likely to mutate...

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:37 AM
link   
first case reported in Singapore with a probable 2nd incoming

www.straitstimes.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

SINGAPORE - A China national has tested positive for the Wuhan virus in Singapore, with another likely to have the virus.

The 66-year-old man, a Wuhan resident, arrived in Singapore with nine travelling companions on Monday (Jan 20), and stayed at Shangri-La's Rasa Sentosa resort, the Ministry of Health said at a briefing on Thursday night (Jan 23).

Is this a normal rate of spread.. it seems if there's 1 person there's definitely 2... we need authentic numbers on deaths and condition of the patients..

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:40 AM
link   

New coronavirus could be ‘as deadly’ as Spanish flu pandemic Professor Neil Ferguson, Vice-Dean for Academic Development of Imperial College London’s School of Medicine, told London reporters on Jan. 22 that the novel coronavirus (2019-nCov) and the 1918 H1N1 virus have “roughly the same” mortality rate. “This [2019-nCoV’s death rate] could be two percent, similar to Spanish flu,” Ferguson told Yahoo News. A two percent death rate means “one in 50” persons who acquired the virus could die. With the current death toll at 17 out of 555 cases, American news website The Hill said the 2019-nCov’s death rate is now at three percent, “a little more than the estimated 2.5 percent mortality rate caused by the Spanish flu in 1918.”

news.mb.com.ph...

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Well...

This sucks, tagging to continue following, that real time tracker has a lot more color on it than it did last night.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: celltypespecific

While it may be as deadly as the Spanish Flu based off current stats, it's not likely to be as virulent. There were a lot of extenuating circumstances that led to the Spanish Flu's high kill count. Namely World War I.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 08:00 AM
link   
2 cases in Vietnam,

news.zing.vn...

Chinese father and son from Wuhan city, China, infected with coronavirus causing pneumonia, being isolated at Cho Ray Hospital, Ho Chi Minh City.

[exTwo patients reported no contact with a person suspected of being infected with corona virus in the last two weeks.

a fever on January 17, had a fever of unknown temperature, had no cough, no runny nose, no sore throat, no headache, no muscle aches. This person had self-medication with no fever.

On January 17, the patient continued to travel from Hanoi to Nha Trang by plane, residing in Nha Trang until January 19.

Imagine if Nha Trang reports a case in the next 48hrs....

edit on 23/1/20 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Update from the BNO Twitter posted above,

31 out of 34 Chinese regions have now reported at least 1 case of coronavirus. The only ones without confirmed cases are: Inner Mongolia, Qinghai, and Tibet

twitter.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I don't think it will be as bad as many speculate.
This isn't a scenario like 1350 London where everyone was living and sleeping right next to each others filth and infecting each other with no clue as to why. Chinese streets in Wuhan are empty and people are wearing surgical masks and staying inside, washing themselves, and avoiding contact.

Many will still celebrate Lunar new year with their family so the cases may rise up sharply during that time then gradually stop.
I don't think the death count will go over 500.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Finger pointing begins - It must be Worse than advertised !

Wuhan quarantine expands as Chinese fear authorities not telling full story about coronavirus outbreak

"A bigger outbreak is certain," said Guan Yi, a virologist who helped identify Severe acute respiratory syndrome in 2003. He estimated - "conservatively" - that this outbreak could be 10 times bigger than the SARS epidemic because that virus was transmitted by only a few "super spreaders" in a more defined part of the country.

"We have passed through the 'golden period' for prevention and control," he told Caixin magazine from self-imposed quarantine after visiting Wuhan. "What's more, we've got the holiday traffic rush and a dereliction of duty from certain officials."

Think about it ... A native Chinese Expert calling out Derelict Chinese Officials ? Blasphemy !!! Thats big in itself !!!!

edit on 1232020 by MetalThunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Is this a normal rate of spread.. it seems if there's 1 person there's definitely 2... we need authentic numbers on deaths and condition of the patients..

BNO have the data, but how accurate it is, that's another question.
bnonews.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
Based on the symptoms this doesn't appear to be linked to the unknown virus I described here, but I find the timing awfully coincidental. Just a few days ago that student was quarantined in Barbourville with an unknown virus displaying symptoms similar to another mystery virus which forced over 40 schools to close around two months ago. The flu-like symptoms and the cough are tell tale symptoms of the virus affecting students, however another primary symptom was vomiting and diarrhea, but the symptoms of coronaviruses don't seem to include gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting. That's just based on a generic Google search for coronavirus symptoms though, what I'd be more interested in hearing is first hand accounts of the symptoms. I feel this outbreak is probably not related but the timing and the fact they think it's a new virus seems somewhat unusual.

I made that post a couple of days ago but after doing a bit more thinking and digging I realized there are some other connections between these viral outbreaks. One of the main symptoms of the 2011 outbreak was respiratory issues, most students had difficulty breathing and "scratchy throats". There was a few cases where they suspected a gas leak or some other chemical in the air because the onset of symptoms were so rapid and they were also vomiting. Air tests always came back negative though and the blame was pinned on a gastrointestinal virus such a Norovirus despite inconclusive tests.

The exact same thing happened with the mystery virus which caused every Mesa County Valley school to close around two months ago. They suspected it was some highly contagious strain of Norovirus but tests didn't find anything. The rapid propagation of this virus seems to be another commonality between this new Coronavirus and the unknown virus responsible for closing hundreds of schools. The way they're trying to aggressively quarantine the outbreak also seems like overkill unless there's something more going on here, it certainly seems like China knows something they aren't saying.

However, as I mentioned in my previous post, the symptoms don't seem the same. There appears to be a lack of vomiting and diarrhea with the Wuhan virus... or is there? According to some recent articles such as this, this, and this, the Wuhan virus does display symptoms including vomiting and diarrhea. I'm still skeptical that these viruses are related, but if they are it probably means this didn't originate in China and that's why they're having trouble pinning down the source. Also interesting is that Netflix just added a new documentary series called "Pandemic: How to Prevent an Outbreak".

EDIT: another similarity between these viruses is the variance in severity of symptoms. The virus affecting schools sent some students to emergency care but most students just took a few days off school. It seems to affect a small number of people much worse than the majority of people and the same thing applies to the Wuhan virus.
edit on 23/1/2020 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 08:42 AM
link   
There is a Live WHO press conference to announce if outbreak is a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.
It hasn't started yet and I'm not sure what time it will happen.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Apparently still accepting flights from China into London.

Is it here already? That is the question.. because some people have arrived from Wuhan over the last week and gone about their business.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: CrazeeWorld777

Well, just read that it is a possibility up in Glasgow, Scotland as 2 passengers have fallen I'll.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

[B]Coronavirus may have reached the UK as two Chinese travellers have been taken to hospital in Scotland with flu-like symptoms. 

The unidentified patients are thought to be from Wuhan, the city at the heart of the outbreak which has killed 17 people and potentially infected up to 10,000. Nearly 600 cases have been confirmed.

Tests have so far failed to rule out coronavirus. The patients – who are in isolation – are being treated [B]

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Does Travel restrictions even work ?

www.vox.com...

Another point is that wind and birds can be carriers also.

www.sciencedaily.com...

www.nbcnews.com...

But in this case, i think the CCP may want to quarantine also becouse CCP hates anything bad news, and quarantine prevent World getting precise information what all is happening there. Anything bad happening inside China is poison for them. Thought i am not a China expert so take it with a grain of salt.

edit on 23-1-2020 by Kenzo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join