It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If a Rogue Star was Heading Our Way what would We Do ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I think we should all hold up a marshmallow on the end of a stick, in defiance.
Burn baby burn.

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: yuppa

Yes, im aware of how expansion functions.

As to there being many versions of our observable universe in other universes.

That's not something we are currently able to measure nor observe and which might always be the case.

The universe may indeed for all intents and purpose be infinite but the observable universe is all we can see, well from here on Earth any road.

I wasn't quite clear...i mean other galaxies/solar systems in our universe as well as other universes. the big bang went of everywhere at once and even beyond our observational range too. we eventually can see those further out places though as our own part of the universe catches up to the further ones out traveling faster than light whose light actually travels backward as it travels foward.(weird eh?)
And its cool that even though space itself is moving faster than light it dont violate the E=mc2. Because space can do what it wants apparently.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Everything in the cosmos is already in motion and the proposed incoming rogue star would be gravitationally attracted to Sol so any unscheduled movement of Sol (by us) would likely be compensated for making our desperate efforts a waste of time. The advantage of that constant non-linear motion makes it most likely that the foreign object would swing around the sun and zip off back out of the solar system. Perhaps we could buy enough time to ensure earth is in the least exposed portion of its orbit but that's about it.

The bourbon and a lawn chair sounds like the way to deal with this crisis if it were to occur.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 07:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Why not move the rogue star instead?

Relative momentum.

In the frame-of-reference system consisting only of our solar system and a rogue star, our solar system's relative momentum could be called "zero." That is, it could be seen as being fixed in the frame of reference that contain just it and the rogue star. The rogue star, on the other hand, would have a greater relative momentum by definition, because it would be the thing coming at us.

To move that rogue star, we would need to battle/overcome that rogue star's momentum. However, in the case of our Sun, there would be no momentum to overcome, since the relative momentum of our sun would be zero in that frame of reference.

edit on 1/20/2020 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Umm.. maybe that rogue star is rogue because some fools living on one of its planets thought it was a great idea to relocate it? It's not that far fetched to wonder it that the galaxy is held together by the same forces that hold our solar system together and moving a solar system around in it might have some negative side effects ts?

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

We need to get there first to change our perspective somewhat which is the ticket, ether via spaceship Earth or some other means.

I have always found the concept expansion to rather weird myself. LoL

It seems like it should be illegal, doesn’t it? Over and over were told the supreme law of the universe, but the key feature is that the expansion is uniform, Space-time or so it seems is stretchy stuff.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

We couldn't even help New Orleans during Katrina, so I doubt if moving the Earth is much of an option. If you have ever messed around with universe sandbox, and flung a star into the solar system, the result is utter chaos and destruction for the entire solar system, planets flung off into interstellar space or into the sun or each other, so no place to run. I think I would go out and buy the most expensive bottle of scotch I could muster and save it for when the earth meets its fate.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 09:02 AM
link   
There is a star currently heading towards our solar system. It is called Gliese 710 which won't directly collide with the sun but will pass through the Oort cloud disturbing the trillions of comets there. Fortunately it is not due to arrive any time soon. 1.35 million years is the time scale.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: midicon

I touched on that one myself.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

I touched on that one myself.

Sorry about that. I did read the thread but managed to miss that post!

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 09:17 AM
link   

No, your ok buddy, as its certainly pertinent to the thread.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011
...If you have ever messed around with universe sandbox, and flung a star into the solar system, the result is utter chaos and destruction for the entire solar system, planets flung off into interstellar space or into the sun or each other, so no place to run...

Yeah, that's why this guy's plan is to move the entire solar system, in tact.

edit on 1/20/2020 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Well really, we don't need some interstellar calamity to put something like this into action..

Just imagine using it simply as a means to "move to a better neighborhood", instead of just sending a few people on some generation ship while the rest of us sit here ant twiddle our thumbs for a few thousand years waiting to see what they find.

We could all be space explorers..!! lol

Ahh, if only the human race could put away all it's differences and work together to achieve such a common goal, we might make it to a type II civilization a little faster...!!
edit on 20-1-2020 by Ironclad1964 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 07:34 PM
link   
We would probably have a decade or more of warning. The collective world governments would do their best to hide the information as long as possible. As soon as the news broke society would fall apart and it would be mad Max style. Everyone saying that people would come together just don't know enough people. Everyone would stop going to work, crime would be rampant. The worst parts of human nature would rear their ugly heads.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Squish it with my fingers from my limited pov, only to be brutally disappointed that it not working.
edit on 20-1-2020 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 11:01 PM
link   
All this is neat But truly roge sun or big rocks no matter sooner or later earth is toast .
Only one solution and If we started now in less then a 100 years we could Grante humans would never go extinct with just the teck we have .
Generation ships are the only sane answer . Go out to the asteroid belts pick 30 biggish ones hollow them out build lvs in side SPIN it leave enough left over for in flight repairs stock each with 30,000 people then send on way . Even if it takesa million years to find a new earth no matter its a minie planet .
And yes we could do it .
problems How do we make sure the people inside remember they are in a ship ?
How do we make sure the Population stays the same ?
how do we keep them from killing each other ?

Its not the teck that is the issue but Human nature .
The best solution of all Is keep working on cryoteck then freeze every one then once to a good planet wake them up .
We could develop cryoteck that could be that good to freeze someone for a million years then wake them up in maybe a 100 years .
Still you may save the human race but doomed the planet you sent them to .

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 11:48 PM
link   
If a rogue star came our way what we'd do is die.

One because we're incapable of leaving the planet in any productive way in this period of human development and more than likely for the foreseeable future.

Two, because from experience nobody on this planet likes saving themselves.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Personally, I think us peons would commence destroying each other while the govt and their brain trust thought of some off the wall idea... like moving our solar system... and destroying the planet. We would destroy ourselves before the star got even close enough to do damage in other words. Then, the first realization in out afterlife would be that the Devine Creator installed a safety mechanism that would have repelled the two objects away from each other.. and, sorry, we failed again, here is a new heaven and earth for yas, go through the memory wipe, start at the beginning again.... till yous pass the test!!

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Somekindofwizard

Short of it being some kind of brown dwarf or the like that we fail to detect headed in our direction, we will probably have somewhat more than decades warning.

Unless Proxima Centauri decides to start heading in our direction around 1/2 the speed of light.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 04:26 PM
link   

If we had the tech to move the planet we would have had the tech to move the people a LONG time prior. Yes, all 10 billion or however many. LOL
edit on 21-1-2020 by ziplock9000 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join