It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Secretive Company That Might End Privacy as We Know It

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 03:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: KiwiNite
I'm not concerned with privacy. I'm more concerned that flawed AI will start giving people life sentences for something they didn't do. It will be really plausible...just like AI cars that can cause a fatal "accident".

your combining two similar but different issues.

AI cars that "can cause fatal accidents" is a situation that has (except IF there is a warning and/or realize that a manual override is needed ) no check.. if it goes wonky/fails the results are as they are.

with the AI doing identification of people wanted for crimes there IS a check and balance. You have to be arrested, positively identified though more than the AI, and you have to go to trial and are "presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law".

yes you can be miss identified and arrested.
hell that happens with the "old tech" and techniques we have today...

but so far the sytem used has been MORE ACCURATE than typical systems and even caught people in crimes where they had no name to go with face.

unless this system is used in countries without the legal protections we enjoy here in USA it is (with guidelines) promising and good

but again those wanting to do evil are gonna use whatever is effective in their plans.
your banning it for good isnt gonna stop that and (sadly) the tech is well out of the bottle.
you ARE NOT gonna ban its use (be good but especially evil) no matter what you want.

scrounger

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

I'm bumping your thread as we just met with this company at Connect:ID and I was astounded by how efficiently their software aggregated and processed images yet how stupid people are for posting incriminating photos on social media.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I'm bumping your thread as we just met with this company at Connect:ID and I was astounded by how efficiently their software aggregated and processed images yet how stupid people are for posting incriminating photos on social media.

Let me fix that for you:

"yet how stupid people are for posting photos on social media."

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

I said something similar on the first page but what I saw today in the private demonstration was straight up criminals posting criminal behavior on Facebook. Like literally harvesting, processing and transporting narcotics.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I got to about page 3 of this thread before I realized it was nearly 20 months old. Oh well, interesting read anyway...even if it is way off base.

The focus of the article in the OP, and much of the theme of the conversation on this thread, is about harvested images from social media. Okay, maybe that's the thing, but that doesn't worry me nearly as much as the 50,000+ other ways your photo gets taken and matched up with your identity! I mean, it's pretty funny that people have a complete spaz-freakout attack, screaming about their rights being violated and whatever...and then walk out of their house and go right to an ATM machine and withdraw money. LOL! BOOM...right there, they've got your photo, your ID, your bank account info, your address, your social security number, your DOB...everything! Or a gas station, or the grocery store, or at the airport, or, or, or...x 50 bazillion!

FB, and Insta-whatever and all the other social media sites where people post their narcissistic self-love photos are frequented by idiots, no doubt. But if people think even for one moment that these websites are the only source for identification photos and personal info they would be SORELY mistaken!!

Don't think it's real? Heh, I could sit here and probably cite 75-100 examples that I have personally been involved with (not willingly mind you)! They all start off innocent enough, but they turn very sinister and creepy in very short order. Everyone has heard the term "Nothing is free", right? Well, at the same time everybody wants "Something for nothing". Add those two phrases together and you've got a recipe for disaster, and that's exactly where we are right now...and it's only going to get worse, MUCH worse!

I'll give you just one example. A certain marketing firm wanted to do some targeted advertising at a facility I 'might' be familiar with. The 'facility' wasn't too keen on the idea...UNTIL, said marketing firm volunteered to procure and install that facility's WiFi system...for FREE. (When you hear the word "Free" you should immediately be on-guard for the anal probe at any second). Well, no one was going to turn down a multi-million dollar WiFi system for "Free", right? So the system went in as planned. (Note: we're still on the "innocent" part here!).

Then, a short while later, another firm showed up and wanted to install this elaborate wide angle CCTV system. They said it was to "monitor metrics and demographics". This system was also a multi-million dollar system, and guess what? It was "Free" too. Even better than free! In return for allowing them to place the system they would gladly share the images being taken. Hmmmmm. Too good to be true, right?

Well, turns out that company 'A' was actually partnered up with company 'B'. Company 'A' knew exactly where you were by your bluetooth and WiFi registration number on your phone. This was relayed to company 'B' used analytics to quickly sort you out and isolate your image in a crowd of people. And they do this for millions of people every single hour! They don't just know that you're standing in front of Quiznos debating getting a sandwich...oh no. They know your name, your phone number, they have your picture, your height, weight, travel habits, methods of payment, frequency of travel, your destination, and just about everything else you can imagine.

AND...they didn't get...one...single...bit...of that information off of FB or Insta-!

These guys don't want doctored and posed photos from FB and Insta-whatever, they want real-time information about the REAL you...and they get it.

Think about that for a moment.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Facebook and other social media sites help create the profile, as they add a layer of information that is missing from most of the other sources: connections between people.

So now, instead of knowing that person X was in a specific place at a specific time, maybe buying something specific, they may even know that what they bought was a gift for a friend, as friend Z has their birthday on that day and likes to shop on that same store.

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Yes, I understand.

I was just pointing out that FB and other social media is not the only place where a person's likeness can be matched up with personal information about the individual. The article in the OP and much of the discussion focused on social media like it was the only source for such intrusive actions.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join