It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian military war games , Iran isn't another Iraq

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:12 AM
link   
It's obvious that a war with Iran wouldn't be as easy as it was with Iraq .

www.iribnews.ir...
www.iribnews.ir...
www.iribnews.ir...

What's your evaluations for the Iranian military ?

[edit on 9-3-2005 by XLEGIONS]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 03:21 AM
link   
It's those hilly terrain that gives me the thought of suicide being a better option. If there is a war, many will die on both sides. No one will win.

The US could simply send rockets from a faraway location like they always do and avoid boots on the ground, then again, that would not do anything if the Iranians are prepared as I think they are. Remember, they have been at war with Iraq for awhile. I don't care if you have the most advanced military in the world, that will never replace actual experience.

[edit on 9-3-2005 by Justanotherperson]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
An impressive display, I'll give them that. But all this is is proganda put out by the Iranians in an attempt to intimadate the West. Unfortunately for them, not many people here are paying much attention to it. Iraq likely could have put together just an impressive video prior to the First Gulf War. Remember what happened to them?

I don't think our government is planning for open war with Iran. Not that we don't have the capablility. I think a Western incited and American military backed coup in Tehran is one of the more likely scenarios. But anything could happen.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
all of this show, gone as soon as us strikes them, you see their poor tank copies are nothing without air support or decent AD network..

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
If the US tried to invade, I'd give their military 3 weeks before they dispanded, gave up the country, and resorted to guarilla tactics.

Unless you are Russia, you just can't go head to head with the US military.

EDIT:

The first give away they don't stand a chance is that their soldiers don't have NVG.

The US would come in at night, and just decimate them.

I'm sorry, showing a few Helos and some rockets being fired does not impress me.

[edit on 11-3-2005 by American Mad Man]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
If the US tried to invade, I'd give their military 3 weeks before they dispanded, gave up the country, and resorted to guarilla tactics.

Unless you are Russia, you just can't go head to head with the US military.

EDIT:

The first give away they don't stand a chance is that their soldiers don't have NVG.

The US would come in at night, and just decimate them.

I'm sorry, showing a few Helos and some rockets being fired does not impress me.

[edit on 11-3-2005 by American Mad Man]

of course they have nvg.. my dog has nvg
, it's just that they are poorly trained and rely on mass human waves, it would be way harder to control iran though cause of its population..

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Hellraiser?
Forgotten that Iran has many millions that are pro-US and seek a regime change?

Might not be as hard as you and others are making it to be.
Iran's military might be good for Middle East Standards, but IMHO, wouldn't hold up or out against a military power such as the US, China, India, etc. Silkworm's are only good when they are shooting at ships and thats based on those ships being there. The Iranian Air Force might be decent when placed against smaller Western nations or for the Middle East, but if up against the US, Israel, India, etc., would simply be side-swiped out of the sky in no time. Wars are won on the ground, and as such, Iran knows it would not stand much of a chance and would simply resort to what everyone else is doing: guerrilla styled warfare.

Never forget the people though. There are millions in Iran that hope for a US intervention in Iran. I wonder why?

seekerof

[edit on 12-3-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Hellraiser?
Forgotten that Iran has many millions that are pro-US and seek a regime change?
yea maybe 5 people or less

Might not be as hard as you and others are making it to be.
Iran's military might be good for Middle East Standards, but IMHO, wouldn't hold up or out against a military power such as kuala lumpur
agreed they don't have a chance without nuclear weapons

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
im sure the US military conducts war games that makes this look small and alot more often than iran

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

Never forget the people though. There are millions in Iran that hope for a US intervention in Iran. I winder why?

seekerof

[edit on 11-3-2005 by Seekerof]

While there are progressives in Iran who want reform and democracy, I think they would rather fight us to the death than be "saved" by the US. No matter how noble our intentions, I think any action by the US would be deemed hostile, and even those who want freedom, we'll fight us as invaders. I mean, who would really trust the US?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by XLEGIONS
It's obvious that a war with Iran wouldn't be as easy as it was with Iraq .

www.iribnews.ir...
www.iribnews.ir...
www.iribnews.ir...

What's your evaluations for the Iranian military ?

Those helicopters look like the Island Hopper TC flew on Magnum PI.

[edit on 9-3-2005 by XLEGIONS]

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Good display......but thats all it is.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
good find

nice to know they can take s**t loads of US personale before they fall

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
we could probably take out iran with less casualties than we had in iraq, that is if rumsfeld is no longer around....

Our airforce would probably have like a 90 day bombing campaign at the end of such their infrastructor would be such a mess they could only mount a gurilla style attack but at this point we wouldnt enter their country just help those that want democracy to take over and fight for us

[edit on 12-3-2005 by JackJuice]

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Iraq aaand Iran fought each other in a bloody war that lasted 10+ years. They fought each other to a standstill. Neither side gained enough of an advantage to claim a victory.

At the risk of sounding egotistical, I do not believe that the Irani military has improved that much since then. We, essentially, made mincemeat of the Iraqi military. Ergo sum ... We would make mincemeat of the Irani military.

The civilian populace would, in fact, be a totally different story.

I have, for various reasons, had interface with many Iranians over the years. They are a loving, fun, smart group of folk. I would much rather have gthem on my side then against me.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   

We, essentially, made mincemeat of the Iraqi military. Ergo sum ... We would make mincemeat of the Irani military.

You forget that the Iraqi Army was decimated by years of sanctions and the Generals you bought off and betrayed their men. The Iranians on the other hand have not had such restrictions. They themselves could have rolled over Iraq at any time as well with what they have now.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Iran is FAR more powerful than Iraq. Iraq missiles didn't even have guidance sytems where as Iranians have that of modern accuracy. Iraq's weapons didn't work because he lacked spare parts and he buried many of his fighters. The U.S. doesn't really want to get into it with Iran as Iranian troops are far better fighters. The U.S. has better fighter-craft but depending on the nature of the attack the may or may not have the upper-hand. Iranian fighters have radioed and chased U.S. fighters out of their airspace recently. The Iranians are better ground fightes and the U.S. marines would get whipped!

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Everytime such military action in the Middle East, it is always made out to be a catastrophic adventure beforehand.

Remember the US was going to have a hard time with the "brutal Afghan winter" and "remember how the USSR was bogged down for 10 years?".

Remember when those crack Republican Guards were just waiting to give the US a hard fight around Baghdad?

And now the Iranians are supposed to be so tough. Maybe. It is a larger country with lots more difficult terrain, and lots more soldiers, and a much more competent (as far as we can tell) government. But how commited is its army? Will the populace be happy to see the mullahs go, or will they want to be patriotic and defend against a foreign aggressor? Do the Revolutionary Guards have any skills to go with their guns, or are they only brave against burkhas?

I don't know the answers, but you can bet the Pentagon is figuring it out as part of their war planning scenarios, and it goes into the mix when Bush is making those day to day decisions. At the moment, he's going along with the Europeans, probably not because sanctions will work, but to avoid the Iraq scenario - i.e., the US will not go it alone. I think the deal has been struck behind the scenes (Rice and Bush's recent European trips), and the lines in the sand have been drawn. We're waiting to see it play out.

Meanwhile, other pieces on the Middle East chessboard are being moved. Consolidation in Iraq, freeing up Lebanon, settling the Palestinians, and sidelining Syria (at the least). Iran is alarmed by all this, and is already using their beloved Hezbollah as their counterweight.

We wait to see it played out.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Remember when those crack Republican Guards were just waiting to give the US a hard fight around Baghdad?

It's those exact Generals that where bribed, gave away tactical information on the positioning of their troops, and abandoned them. The Republican Guard had 2 divisions waiting outside Baghdad, but got mullered from the Air. That is where the majority of the Iraqi casualties came from.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Agreed, Stumason. What was apparently formidable, was made to go away, which is partly what I was getting at. But this is the unknown: are such tactics available in Iran, if needs be?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join