It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Public Schools Can’t Suspend Students For Disobeying Teachers

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   
What we really need is a strong... Imperator... that is willing to do what's necessary to protect the Republic and our Constitution.

If he truly wants to uphold all things good, and understands our history and the moral, philosophical, and ethical reasoning of our foundation - than the Republic might be saved.

He will need sweeping powers to root out evil and eradicate it. As dangerous as it is, so long as he shuns power and wealth, we might actually come out on top.

He absolutely must resist the desires for power and wealth lest he become a corrupt tyrant and this situation deteriorates further.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ABNARTY

Hmmmm.... I am not a fan of suspension as a punishment, because it necessarily defeats the purpose of school itself. A kid who's not at school won't learn, a kid not learning gets behind, a kid that gets behind doesn't progress, a kid that doesn't progress becomes an adult that cannot be a productive and responsible member of society, an adult that cannot be a productive and responsible member of society is a parasite on all of society.

If a student is such a problem that they must be removed temporarily, then they are such a problem that they should be removed permanently. In other words, just expel them once and forever, and address their issues in appropriate ways in a different setting.

In-school suspension -- complete with mandatory class assignments and a teacher breathing down their necks -- is a much better and much more practical and productive way of dealing with issues that do not demand permanent expulsion, but curtails behavior that disrupts classes or otherwise impedes the learning of others, etc.

Now, it looks like Cali is just doing this to be oh-so-politically-correct, and it doesn't seem that they are replacing suspension with anything else more practical or productive. So I am not in any way agreeing with Cali in either principle or practice. I'm just saying that suspension in general isn't especially effective.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: ABNARTY

They're talking about 1st graders through 5th graders. Little kids still have melt downs, sit on floor and cry instead of putting away the toys. I'm sure they can still be suspended for kicking a teacher in the shins or destroying school property.

If this is based on the Obama Admin guidelines, then no they can't. It will be based on the stats saying more students of color get suspended so it must be racist and not due to anything else. The guidelines then said they had even up the suspensions by not suspending students of color more than white students ... even in schools that were majority students of color, more or less meaning they couldn't actually suspend students.

It's basically an affirmative action setting quotas for discipline. If your white students aren't that many to begin with and then they aren't misbehaving that often or the ones who do spend all their time suspended, then you can't really deal with the other students very effectively.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I'd never suspend a kid, I almost never even discipline them. It's unnecessary for the most part.

It does require me to have a brain and positive Spirit - but I've never met a kid I can't immediately reach - and convince them to behave. I just know how to talk to them.

It's complex tho so of course I don't expect California grade school teachers to be capable of this basic instinct.

They'd need a brain to know how to handle kids. That's asking too much.

link   
Really, what good is suspension? I used to try to get suspended, that’s an extra 3 days on your weekend. You really want to punish the kids then force them to stay in school.

Some of my fondest childhood memories is the trouble I caused running the streets because I was suspended from school.

link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

This is the argument made at the fall of the Roman Republic and the rise of the Empire.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Really, what good is suspension? I used to try to get suspended, that’s an extra 3 days on your weekend. You really want to punish the kids then force them to stay in school.

Some of my fondest childhood memories is the trouble I caused running the streets because I was suspended from school.

Your parents weren't very effective then.

Our policy with school discipline is what happens at school stays at school until it follows him home, and then he catches it double here. So if he ever got suspended, he'd be in such a world of hurt from us that he'd NEVER. DO. IT. AGAIN.

edit on 29-12-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Hey man, no child left behind... especially the dumb ones.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Ummm. thought that the idea of sending kids to school at that age was to try to socially engineer them so they can fit into society. Kids have to learn to respect those who have authority over them. It is a prerequisite to their life, so they can learn to follow the orders of their future employers and not get fired. No employer is going to put up with a young adult with an attitude.

I suppose that next California is going to implement a law that says employers cannot fire employees if they do not do the job they were hired to do. Employers will not be allowed to send the worker home for disciplinary action for three days to think about their actions, they must just out right fire the employee immediately.

Am I alone in believing that California has turned into a plague against society? Kids must be disciplined somehow for improper behavior and this discipline must involve a little inconvenience to the parents so the parents talk to the kid and explain that they have to follow rules of society.

I am thinking that far left liberalism might need to be banned from our society. We gain our freedom of speech after we are eighteen, before that, going against society is not a right, it is a time to learn how to understand our varying beliefs of different kinds of people in society and learn how to live peacefully and symbiotically together.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Actually, the new rules will be for students up to the 8th grade.

As the law stands now, schools cannot suspend students in kindergarten through third grade for willful defiance, but the new law extends that ban to include students up to eighth grade.

Beginning in 2020, schools will no longer be able to suspend students in grades four and five. However suspensions in grades six, seven and eight would be banned for the next five years

***SNIP***

The bill notes that students can still be suspended for violence, bringing a weapon or illegal drugs to school.

www.nbcsandiego.com...

I see a mass exodus of teachers in CA and much more money paid to teachers they can bribe to stay.

Part of the problem here is teaching kids to ignore authority. And we can all see where that leads.

California just keeps sinking.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

It depends. Were you a distraction to the other kids who actually were trying to learn? If so, then why should they suffer for your inability to control yourself.

Kids unwilling to learn in class will not be forced to learn by forcing them to remain in school or by detention.

And sadly, this world isn't one huge Dangerous Minds movie... Kids today would rather play flappy birds than learn. it reminds me of that movie I cannot remember the name of based in the future where the teacher screen is using cans of pepsi to teach math to primary students. "If I have 5 pepsi's and I add 6 pepsi's, how many pepsi's do I have?" or something along those lines...

I've studied in adult education where they had kids who dropped out of school, and all they did was facebook, talk, ignore the lecturer and fail the course. Not all of them, there are still some good kids out there, who are being distracted by the kids who should be getting suspended.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

If this is based on the Obama Admin guidelines, then no they can't.

Oh please. If they could suspend students before this, simply for disobedience, it makes no sense that they couldn't suspend a student for violence and/or destruction of property. Please cite the law that proves your assertion otherwise.

It will be based on the stats saying more students of color get suspended so it must be racist and not due to anything else.

Doesn't this help the case of black students getting suspended by racist teachers for being "uppity? Under this new rule/law, no student between 1st and 5th grade, black, brown or white. can be suspended simply for disobedience.
edit on 29-12-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I will agree to the new rules only if we put shock collars on all the kids.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Nah, I'd prefer it more like the movie Fortress with Kurt Russell. You know, a facility 30 stories below ground, where there is no escape, and every inmat.. I mean student has a magnetic device implanted in them that can cause severe pain for any disobedience, or explode them for grievous breaches of the rules. Where robots monitor their every move and can inflict pain for detected violations and they can read your dreams for unauthorised thought processes.

That'd separate the productive citizens from the inmates. Oh, they also come out augmented to be a better version of a human, where population control would no longer be needed.. It's a win all around!!

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Let's be honest. This is the Cali Public School System. They aren't ever thinking these kids are going to be employable. They're raising permanent wards of the state who will always and ever vote themselves into our pockets deeper and deeper.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I don't hate kids in California and I realize there are many tools in the tool box when trying to develop a child.

There is no perfect approach but no matter how you go about it, there needs to exist a few essential elements. A resourceful and independent young person needs to possess enough self-discipline and humility to properly posture themselves for success.

When you DGAF about anyone but yourself because that is what was inculcated in you as a young student, there is no mystery what happens then as an "adult".

I do not believe this will remain in grade school and middle school. These bureaucratic, myopic approaches to social engineering never do. Don't share that belief? OK, what happens in high school when this cohort of kids get to that point? Think there are discipline problems now? Just wait.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Explain to me how violence and destruction of property aren't disobedience?

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Oh for F#'s sake.

Are you really that obtuse? Do you really need examples of disobedience that doesn't rise to violence or destruction of property?

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Big suprise from a state full of people whi thrive on petty ridiculousness , and being triggered by every damn thing.

Responsible adults understand structure and order. They also live in a world where they are responsible for their own well being.

California, and many other liberal strongholds know they will lose their voting bases ability to push their bull# if the citizens are actual functioning adults.

Quickest solution is to raise entitled brats who can't comprehend how the real world works.

Participation trophys.
Special treatment for gender swaps.
Entitlement syndrome.

It's all for reason, and these idiots will be paid the dividends of their non-effort.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Especially baby Yoda.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join