It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Public Schools Can’t Suspend Students For Disobeying Teachers

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: ABNARTY

They're talking about 1st graders through 5th graders. Little kids still have melt downs, sit on floor and cry instead of putting away the toys. I'm sure they can still be suspended for kicking a teacher in the shins or destroying school property.

I worry about your health. I feel like you are going to become diabetic from drinking all of that liberal Kool-Aid.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Are you assuming that every time a kid is suspended for "disobedience", it's because he simply looked cross-eyed at the teacher while black?

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 02:54 PM
link   

They're talking about 1st graders through 5th graders. Little kids still have melt downs, sit on floor and cry instead of putting away the toys. I'm sure they can still be suspended for kicking a teacher in the shins or destroying school property.

Considering the age bracket , this ^^^ makes a lot of sense. Children that age should be reasoned with and disciplined in other ways. Losing valuable learning time at that age doesn’t help and there are probably better deterrents to bad behaviour towards teachers than being told to stay home. ( where they will most likely have a great time playing video games )😆.

Also it is probably difficult for some working parents to find last minute child care for their minors.

Not saying there shouldn’t be consequences ...just make them matter to the child more.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
a reply to: muzzleflash

Well, I don't believe they can win.

Good, because the only way they'll win is if You allow it. You essentially defeat yourself.

So always stand up for yourself and your principles. That way it'd be impossible to ever defeat you.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: muzzleflash

This is the argument made at the fall of the Roman Republic and the rise of the Empire.

Yes I know, I'm glad you caught my wry sarcasm.

I was thinking specifically of the political situation that led to Julius rise to power and subsequent assassination as I wrote out that post.

If it was shockingly relevant in a historic sense than I made my point. Hehehe

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Maybe.

'cause that happens all the time, I'm sure.

suspension only works if the parents give a flyin' whatever. Otherwise, it's just a long weekend.

Now, suspension in school?? That's something that might, did in my case, work. You show up, just like everyone else, but you spend the day in one little ol' room, with your books. Nothing else.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Can't wait to see this implemented...

California is only good for comedic value at this point.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Are you assuming that every time a kid is suspended for "disobedience", it's because he simply looked cross-eyed at the teacher while black?

Why do you keep making this about race? Disobedience alone isn't reason enough, in my opinion, to suspend a 1st through 5th grader.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 04:22 PM
link   

There's disobedience, then there's disobedience.

If the behavior is disruptive to the classroom, the child needs to be disciplined. Which could involve, as a last resort, removal from the classroom, or even the school.

It's up to the school admin. to figure that out.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 04:24 PM
link   

That's a special kind of idiocy to me. When I was in sixth grade back in the 80's, I was living in OKC and racial tensions were seriously high. The school I was in was majority kids of color and native, white being the minority. It wasn't fun for us. Fights, bullying, just general nastiness. You didn't dare go outside of the building at lunch unless you liked being roughed up, and you booked it for the bus after school. I used to beg and plead and feign sickness to try and get out of school. Not that it ever worked.

The students flat out ignored the teachers and it often led to assault against the teachers by some students. These kids pretty much ran that school.

That's the kind of BS you can expect from the sort of law they're planning on passing. Sounds great.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
a reply to: Boadicea

I'd never suspend a kid, I almost never even discipline them. It's unnecessary for the most part.

It does require me to have a brain and positive Spirit - but I've never met a kid I can't immediately reach - and convince them to behave. I just know how to talk to them.

It's complex tho so of course I don't expect California grade school teachers to be capable of this basic instinct.

They'd need a brain to know how to handle kids. That's asking too much.

Teachers like you are worth your weight in gold

Back when I was in school -- no, not a one room schoolhouse! -- I had a friend who could be quite the hellion... if the teacher couldn't handle him. Especially substitute teachers. But other teachers had no problem. He really knew how to push some buttons. But just observing how some of those teachers interacted with him -- and let him push their buttons -- was enlightening for me. Even then, I didn't understand how they could let anyone (much less a kid!) get to them like that. I didn't understand how my friend could pick up on it so instinctively either. But he was a smart guy too.

I did understand one thing though, and that was that respect and humor went a looooooong way!

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
a reply to: Boadicea

I'd never suspend a kid, I almost never even discipline them. It's unnecessary for the most part.

It does require me to have a brain and positive Spirit - but I've never met a kid I can't immediately reach - and convince them to behave. I just know how to talk to them.

It's complex tho so of course I don't expect California grade school teachers to be capable of this basic instinct.

They'd need a brain to know how to handle kids. That's asking too much.

Very uplifting to read ^^^ and it reminds me of teachers I’ve had the great pleasure of working with.
The truth of the matter is kids at that age group can be reasoned with quite effectively if you don’t come across as too much of an authoritarian jerk. From my experience they respond very well to teachers who are fair and show compassion and respect for them.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Why do you keep making this about race? Disobedience alone isn't reason enough, in my opinion, to suspend a 1st through 5th grader.

The law in question makes it about race.

What do you tell a teacher who has the kid who will not sit down, will not stop talking and/or yelling? Both of those things are "simple disobedience" and if the child simply will not comply, then no other child can learn in that room. Of course, there is no violence or destruction involved. So I guess no one gets anything done, right?

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Our junior high had ISS. I never needed it though. I knew that my parents would kill me if I ever did. I feared the discipline of my parents far more than anything the schools would ever do.

And that's how it should be.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   

The law in question makes it about race.

How so? I'm not seeing it. Please explain.

So I guess no one gets anything done, right?

Suspension is the only thing that comes to mind, when we're talking about a 1st through 5th grader acting out?
edit on 29-12-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 07:31 PM
link   

And the only thing you can think of is leaving them in the general ed classroom?

I guess that's fair. If one kid won't learn, none of the rest of them should be able to either. That way, it's all equal.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   

And the only thing you can think of is leaving them in the general ed classroom?

No. There's time out. There's the principal's office and detention. There's public punishment, like writing an apology to the class on the board 100 times, sitting on the bench during recess, having to take out the teachers trash everyday for a month...a meeting with the parents?

Again, these are little kids, 5 to 10 year olds.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Clearly, you haven't dealt with some of the 5 and 10 year olds that are out there these days. Remember, the little darlings are old enough to know their gender identity, but they are now absolutely innocent of malicious wrong-doing and being willfully defiant in their disobedience?

You can't have it two ways.

You do know that a child who has no respect for his teacher generally can also show nothing but contempt for disciplinary measures like the ones you propose, right?

Look ... I've spent time in the classroom, and I've had one or two kids like that. Oh yeah, they had issues, but those were issues that nothing a school could touch were dealing with, and leaving them in the classroom was a disservice to everyone. They weren't learning and neither was anyone else because all the time and attention of the teacher was sucked into dealing with them and their disobedience.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I have a friend that is a teacher for the LAUSD(Los Angels Unified School District) He has been put on leave for stopping a kid by his backpack as he was leaving the class room, to talk to him about his disruptive attitude in class. The kid turned him in and the board placed him on leave. He’s now being paid(very well) to stay at home. Come to find out there are a lot of teachers that the LAUSD is doing this to. They’re trying to get him fired before his retirement which is soon. He said the district is a joke and an absolute mess that’s become more about politics than teaching. Sad

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Did "Kindergarten Cop" scare you?

Remember, the little darlings are old enough to know their gender identity, but they are now absolutely innocent of malicious wrong-doing and being willfully defiant in their disobedience?

Jeeze! Jump the shark much? First it was about racism, quotas and affirmative action, now it's about gender identity.

You do know that a child who has no respect for his teacher generally can also show nothing but contempt for disciplinary measures like the ones you propose, right?

So now it's about "respect"?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join