It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress is raising the minimum smoking and vaping age to 21

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Every been to the South? Lol. Shoot I say we get rid of the child labor laws, make everything legal at 13, and that way by the time they hit 18 or 21 they may actually act like adults.

Face it if you have a young person thirteen or older and they still act like a child then they're behind on the maturity thing.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

Unless fighting for their country, voting age should be 25.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   

If you are old enough to pay Income Tax you are old enough to make other a decision to smoke or not.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
"You do understand that the age restrictions here are for purchasing and drinking publicly? There is nothing illegal about 16 yr olds drinking at home under parental supervision."

First, not all states permit minors to drink at home.

Good thing we all have the Right to Privacy, so they generally wouldn't know about it...

Second, you can buy alcohol in most European countries at 18.

Fantastic. I'm talking about here in the USA.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

I'm ok with that, but there isn't really precedent for it...

But I just checked, and we'd have to amend the Constitution, as the 26th amendment sets the age at 18.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
If you are old enough to pay Income Tax you are old enough to make other a decision to smoke or not.

Opinions are like... ?

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Maybe we should better regulate the industries, instead of the people.

They claim ingredients are what is causing the deaths, so the solution would seem to be in keeping the product pure, not allowing any additives.

Perhaps.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

originally posted by: LSU2018

I'm ok with that, but there isn't really precedent for it...

But I just checked, and we'd have to amend the Constitution, as the 26th amendment sets the age at 18.

I wouldn't mind it being amended to read that the voting age has been increased to 25, unless you are serving your country. State laws can follow suit with smoking and drinking, too, if they wanna.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Good thing we all have the Right to Privacy, so they generally wouldn't know about it...

That's nice, but still not legal as you claimed.

Fantastic. I'm talking about here in the USA.

Which is why I said earlier I want European-style laws where it's legal to serve your kids or buy booze at 18 regardless of where you reside in our overly puritanical nation.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
Maybe we should better regulate the industries, instead of the people.

I'm fine with both, but yes, absolutely, the ingredients should be tested and proven safe.

Too bad the FDA has never fulfilled its stated purpose, but instead, has absolutely fulfilled its true purpose, to limit competition for the pharmaceutical industry.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
That's nice, but still not legal as you claimed.

It is in many states.

"Fantastic. I'm talking about here in the USA."

Which is why I said earlier I want European-style laws where it's legal to serve your kids or buy booze at 18 regardless of where you reside in our overly puritanical nation.

Nah, it should be legal for any age, leave it to the parents.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Agree opening up the booze part but anything else if you are old enough to serve your country then it should be legal to do everything else.

It is absolutely stupid in my opinion that you can work for the government and its people and be given a gun and tons of money worth of equipment to maintain and operate but you cant buy a beer or smokes.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Charliebrowndog
It is absolutely stupid in my opinion that you can work for the government and its people and be given a gun and tons of money worth of equipment to maintain and operate but you cant buy a beer or smokes.

I disagree it is 'absolutely stupid'. Debatable? Sure... I disagree that simply serving should change the official 'age of majority'.

That said, I'd be more inclined to limit the age of serving to 21, than allowing 18 yr olds to vote.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I would be fine with the serving age change as well. I just don't think it is morally right to have kids able to serve but then have no voice to be able to vote for politicians or policy that may affect that service, in my opinion it is a slippery slope and in my thoughts needs to be revisited with some serious discussion

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Charliebrowndog
I would be fine with the serving age change as well. I just don't think it is morally right to have kids able to serve but then have no voice to be able to vote for politicians or policy that may affect that service, in my opinion it is a slippery slope and in my thoughts needs to be revisited with some serious discussion

Ok, that is a legitimate discussion worth having...

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I would see this more as a State's Rights issue, not something with which the US Federal Congress should be involved.

When the Feds touch this sort of law, I am generally against it. I would rather my own state decide this sort of thing. Different states may have different opinions on the so-called 'age of majority'.

States' rights are getting over-trampled far too often these days, IMHO.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fowlerstoad

I would see this more as a State's Rights issue, not something with which the US Federal Congress should be involved.

When the Feds touch this sort of law, I am generally against it. I would rather my own state decide this sort of thing. Different states may have different opinions on the so-called 'age of majority'.

States' rights are getting over-trampled far too often these days, IMHO.

I actually don't disagree in principle, but, many problems arise with different states having different ages of majority.

I think this is something that falls under the 'necessary and proper' clause, and should be uniform across all states, but acknowledge there is room for legitimate debate.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 11:57 AM
link   
kids are dumb. they do grow smarter, but they start out pretty dumb. And they think the know everything starting out, which hampers them in learning to an extent. But they are going to do what they want, and if you make it "taboo", they will want it even more. If you can die for your country at 18, you should be able to do the same as others. And I think 18 is a fantastic age to start serving your country.

So I guess I am for making it 18 for everything. And we should have the same cigarette warnings as Mexico. They put right on the pack "this product will kill you". Might as well tell the truth. That way, when you are wheezing for your last breath at 45 after years of a 3 pack a day habit, you can't say, "nobody told me".

And free beer.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I have a real problem with this. The idea of an "age of majority" was to draw the line between being a Juvenile and being an Adult.

The statement is being made that people are not responsible enough to drink or smoke until the age of 21. If that is so, why are we charging people as young as age 12 as adults? If they are not responsible enough to make smart decisions, why are we holding them accountable in other areas? It should be all or nothing.

By the way, I was a Second Class Petty Officer in the Navy and responsible for the eight other guys in the shop that I supervised as well as being responsible for six helicopters, three months before my twenty-first birthday.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Article linked here...

I have been maintaining for a long time that there should be one 'age of majority', where all things 'adult' come into play.

Drinking, smoking, drugs... and yes... voting...

I'm fine with driving be allowed at 16, but I do also agree with serious restrictions that are no in place by many States (my state of Georgia being one).

I have mixed feelings on guns. I'd be inclined to group it with driving - serious restrictions, like always being under adult supervision, etc...

But really... we need to raise the minimum voting age to 21.

We should raise the age to join the military to 25 then as well.
That can be detrimental to ones health as well.
Also, they need a few years to see what they would be fighting for.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join