It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girl Scouts: Don't make your daughter hug people this holiday

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Yes i know this an article from CNN but apparently the message is coming from Girl Scouts of America. Basically saying to girls in the scouts not to hug people during the holiday in fears of sexual assaults.

Apparently hugging is now demanded as a sexual assault.

Girl Scouts: Don't make your daughter hug people this holiday

The GSUSA tweeted out a reminder, which is also posted on their website, telling parents, "She doesn't owe anyone a hug. Not even at the holidays." The "hugs" here are obviously of a non-sexual nature: Doting aunts and grandparents who are inclined to big embraces and cheek pinches at holiday gathering

At a time when issues of sexual harassment and consent are in the news, and with the holidays just around the corner, the Girl Scouts have resurfaced a recommendation about how parents can help young girls handle affection.

"Think of it this way, telling your child that she owes someone a hug either just because she hasn't seen this person in a while or because they gave her a gift can set the stage for her questioning whether she 'owes' another person any type of physical affection when they've bought her dinner or done something else seemingly nice for her later in life," the piece reads. It also offers insight from Girl Scouts' developmental psychologist Dr. Andrea Bastiani Archibald, who says letting girls decide when and how to show affection, even to family members, can help with "setting physical boundaries and expecting them to be respected" even as they get older.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ChefFox

So are you for or against that? My spouse and I have always been against making a child hug anyone, family or not. Physical contact and personal space should be respected across all ages.

I wouldn't go as far to say hugs are inherently sexual.... But if one party feels that way, then it's their choice.

ETA: I'm male and definitely a hugger of all people. Not sexual in my eyes. But I won't do it if you're visibly uncomfortable with that.
edit on 6-12-2019 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 05:09 PM
link   

If you let your daughter hug a relative, next she'll be "massaging" a Prince or Jeffery Epstein.

Watch out people...........

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I know this will get chalked up to pc nonsense but for once I kind of agree.

If my son didn’t want to hug someone I wouldn’t force him to, we do encourage him to say please and thank you and for a 2 year old he is very polite. We taught him about personal space and privacy and that he needs to respect others so that they will respect him. Besides if your forcing affection isn’t the whole meaning behind it tainted?

The thing is, these are personal choices me and my wife have made about raising our children, and I really don’t think any organization should be telling parents how to raise their children. I get where there coming from but who’s mind is this really going to change?

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 05:28 PM
link   
There were a few extended family members that I was never comfortable hugging, though I was never made to, you’re just conditioned to think it’s the polite thing to do.

I sorta wish the whole hug thing would just go away.. never been much on them.. except for immediate family. They feel awkward and forced to me, unless something really warrants them.

I don’t think any child should be forced to hug .. and those who are more affectionate will do so or find other ways to show their affection.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Imagine unironically authoring a faux outrage thread about faux outrage over a group suggesting people not make their children touch people they don’t want to touch.

Eesh.
edit on 6-12-2019 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Joe Biden is going to hate this news.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Strangely, there are people who actually get paid to Hug people.....hug therapists.

There are people who are paid professionals, who have "Relations" (mainly hugging and touching), with disabled people, because the disabled are humans too, and want to be touched...if only for a moment.

Im sure there are millions of old people in old folks homes who sit there all day dribbling, who would probably come alive if only someone would give them a hug, or touch them in a kind manner.

Human touch is one of the most human things humans can do to one another......other than kill each other.

This is just another move from the PC group to destroy the family unit and reduce population....so it seems.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mark08
Joe Biden is going to hate this news.

Eh, to be fair, I've seen that creepy bastard steal a whiff without even the courtesy hug...

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

If you let your daughter hug a relative, next she'll be "massaging" a Prince or Jeffery Epstein.

And for God's sakes NEVER let her go out on a date. That is just so obviously a step towards infamy.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: gort51

Im sure there are millions of old people in old folks homes who sit there all day dribbling, who would probably come alive if only someone would give them a hug, or touch them in a kind manner.

I’ve worked with the elderly for a short while , and yes , a gentle touch to the hand or patting of the head if they are laying down, does a great deal to comfort and assure them. I will say I have seen some grow uncomfortable with hugs, so like all humans , they have individual preferences.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 06:18 PM
link   
My friends and family members all love hugs. No one forces their kids or Grandkids to hug anyone.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Wouldn't want them to experience a dopamine rush from human contact.
These people are weird and should probably have their harddrives searched.
On another note, it's definitely cool to use them for child labor in exchange for a patch as you use their cuteness for financial gain selling cookies.
Stick to advice on campfires and camping stuff you freaking weirdos.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Wasn't this all ready posted and then discussed at length? Forcing children to hug people is creepy. It's super creepy. 99% agree.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 09:11 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 09:27 PM
link   

a reply to: pavil

Watch out people...........

First they came for the drugs and nobody said anything....

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   

I don't have an issue with warning girls about doing anything that makes them uncomfortable.

My grandfather was a creep and a pervert. I was subjected to involuntary kisses until I got old enough to learn to say no.

IT'S OKAY TO SAY NO.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 12:27 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Creep Thumper

I don't have an issue with warning girls about doing anything that makes them uncomfortable.

My grandfather was a creep and a pervert. I was subjected to involuntary kisses until I got old enough to learn to say no.

Too right ....... People seem to think 'perverts' just happened, they forget

that every'pervert' is someone's son, brother, husband, father, nephew,

grandfatrher, or indeed a favorite uncle. (or even female versions of said)

IT'S OKAY TO SAY NO.

it certainly is!!

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   

I a reply to: ChefFox

Sounds like preparation for Solarian as in the "Naked Sun".

We have Face Time, they now just have to make all walls projectors.

When are people going to stop acting like rats following the Pied Piper.

I am no longer angry with the insanity. I am angry with all excuses as we keep making as we keep walking into our gilded cages and locking the door.

We bitch about the 1% controlling everything and don't give one thought to how stupid that really sounds.

Imagine one mouse beating the hell out of 100 lions. Only stuff of the imagination and the movies. I think it is time that we start being honest with ourselves and place the blame on the who really is to blame. Just check the mirror.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join