It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer crashes only when gaming.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Cheaper PSU's generally are not very good when you get more to the edge of their tolerances and as time goes by can becomes crappier at power output which while at normal desktop loads are still fine when you suddenly start to need the extra power the unit is at its very limit and may not be able to supply the required voltage as and when needed.

Had a look inside the unit and seen if its full of crap as if it is then it'll be getting toasty and probably thermal throttling down to stay in safe ranges so if so then clean it out and only crack it open for a deeper clean if you know what you're doing as you could easy get a Don King hairdo for free.

With the side off the case check all the fans are running and see if they are shifting air properly as well and see if anything changes when you fire up the games such as the fans may be on their last legs and not ramp up when needed.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

Just to add.

We know these days many problems are created with someone using old-older software and games on new OS's. And older p.c.'s that haven't the ability to read new files as well...(I've got 4,000 plus audio/video files, both studio/home like that, tho I've eventually saved all older files by converting).

Once and awhile, I get a "file cannot be read" from some ext from Windows 95 days. Gets to a point you know?! Good luck...*

*A lot of my music and video studio software from 2000 can no longer be read/installed...nor opened even...due to some way-old extensions I saved back then within some software...
edit on 1-12-2019 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Ive done CPU stress tests, everything is in tolerance on that end. Several memtest86 passes so the RAM checks out. The bios is version 1.60 which is the latest on the Asus website. OC has never been turned on but I still checked the bios to verify. The code I get in the event viewer is 41 kernel-power. Which tells me that its probably power fluctuations to certain components.

After taking out the PSU and looking at it, its actually a 480w with a maximum of 500w. Its some off brand Chinese name that I've never heard of.

I ordered a 650w ThermalTake that should be here in a few days. I'm willing to bet that solves the issue. Thanks for the advice everyone.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I wouldn't buy a rebrand psu but there not inherently bad but you have no idea what your getting unless you do the research

whirlpool.net.au...

Old list but gives you a idea of how few psu manufacturers there are compared to rebrands

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 12:36 PM
link   
It's either the PSU or GPU.

Reseat the power cables, and try that too.

If you have another GPU try it.

Does the same thing.

GPU.

If you have another PSU try it.

Does the same thing ?

Buy a new PC.

edit on 1-12-2019 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   
If your video card has more than a single connection from the power supply each should come from a separate voltage rail.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Possibly a driver issue.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Good point.

Direct X versions can make a difference too depending on the GPU. Some games may crash in one version of Direct X and not another.

Does this happen on ALL games or just some of the bigger, resource hungry games?

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Hopefully that solves it though depending on what you have, you may still need a bit more.

I like ThermalTake products. They're pretty solid.

The rest of my stuff is made up of Intel and Asus.

I just built an 8K $ rig. I did throw a lot of cosmetics in it but the case itself may as well be a friggin refrigerator. It's half as heavy as one. It's a 'The Tower 900' by ThermalTake.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Good point.

Direct X versions can make a difference too depending on the GPU. Some games may crash in one version of Direct X and not another.

Does this happen on ALL games or just some of the bigger, resource hungry games?

What I notice is folks build their stuff, amp up, increase, quadruple things...and some older stuff just doesn't work. Put a new game on an old Safari or Windows 95 say...and the old o.s.'s just can read or open them.

Have fun! MS

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 08:21 PM
link   

It is most certainly your PSU. A 500W psu is not enough for your rig.

Go modular at 850 or above and this will fix your problem.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior
So I've been getting the BSOD for about a month now. Everything was working fine the first month or two I had this build. It seems to do it only in the middle of playing games I get WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR. Sometimes I will not get the bluescreen and my PC will just restart by itself.

I've done everything I have read to do online.

I've updated windows 10.
I've done a fresh install of windows 10 and updated all drivers to the current version.
made sure OC was disabled in BIOS.
reseated my GPU and memory sticks, cleaned out all dust etc.
My CPU is not overheating, stays around 55C.

At this point I'm thinking maybe a faulty power supply or something, but I have a 500w PSU that should be enough to run what I have.

AMD FX-6300 6-Core 3.5 GHz (4.1 GHz Turbo)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti
Asrock 970M Pro3
32GB DDR3 RAM
1TB 7200RPM HDD
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64-bit

I'm really at a loss of what to do here, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'd suspect an overheat. If it's not in your CPU, then in your video, or support chips or PSU.

The restarts at random times when the system is under load sound like PSU issues.

Can you hear if the PSU is making a faint noise near to the times it does the reset/BSOD? That can indicate that it's output is oscillating and it is going faulty.

(Normally switch mode supplies do oscillate at above human hearing @ 21 KHz but sometimes that gets unstable and you can hear it).

edit on 1/12/2019 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Older generation AMD chips were notorious for running hot - so double checking CPU temps under load would be a good start, though I'd think that throttling would be more of an issue than BSOD.

Since it's happening during gaming:

1) Run a CPU stress test like Prime 95 for awhile to see if that replicates the BSOD.

if not:

1) Have you changed the clocks or timings on your RAM? I ask because last month I got repeated BSOD's in just one game ( Overwatch ) and loosening my RAM timings fixed the problem.

2) If you've overclocked anything - the CPU / GPU or RAM set them back to stock and see if that rectifies the issue. If that works then slowly move the OC's back, one at a time, until the BSOD happens again.

Also as others have stated, it could be your PSU failing to provide clean power.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 01:20 PM
link   
PSU is the problem. When mine started to crap out it did the same thing. Listen to it when not gaming then get close when you've got it under load. If there's a minor buzzing noise get a new one, though it may not make any unusual noise and still faulty.
edit on fMondayAmerica/Chicago4101699 by Flesh699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   
does eventvwr give you any more details on the BSOD?

have you installed something like Speccy to check power supply watts, temps etc?

how about procmon while playing the game to see if something triggers it?

do you have dual memory sticks? try removing one and seeing what happens etc..

you said it worked fine for the first few months, any new installs after? ie VPN, Antivirus, Drivers?

Download a stress test utility and see what results the PC brings up

or... explain to the wifey it isnt working, sell it and build a new rig
edit on 2/12/19 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Hey Early!

Let us know what you find out. Curious as to the result.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join