It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer crashes only when gaming.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 12:48 AM
link   
So I've been getting the BSOD for about a month now. Everything was working fine the first month or two I had this build. It seems to do it only in the middle of playing games I get WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR. Sometimes I will not get the bluescreen and my PC will just restart by itself.

I've done everything I have read to do online.

I've updated windows 10.
I've done a fresh install of windows 10 and updated all drivers to the current version.
made sure OC was disabled in BIOS.
reseated my GPU and memory sticks, cleaned out all dust etc.
My CPU is not overheating, stays around 55C.

At this point I'm thinking maybe a faulty power supply or something, but I have a 500w PSU that should be enough to run what I have.

AMD FX-6300 6-Core 3.5 GHz (4.1 GHz Turbo)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti
Asrock 970M Pro3
32GB DDR3 RAM
1TB 7200RPM HDD
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64-bit

I'm really at a loss of what to do here, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

Since you seem to be computer savvy and I apologize if you've already done this...

Have you in safe mode run chkdsk and mdsched.exe to check for hardware issues?

Because so far you've done everything I would have done...

The only time I've run into that error while gaming was when I was overclocked.

Oh! and probably run devmgmt.msc and see if you have any device flags.

Just spitballing here.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I had almost exactly the same system your running (fx-6350 instead of 6300) and had almost the exact same problem, and in the end it was the PSU. Upgraded to a better PSU although the power rating was basically the same and never had the problem again.

ETA. Maybe I went up 50w or so on the PSU...can't remember now....got a new system...
edit on 1-12-2019 by Flatcoat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I don't think your PSU is supporting enough. 500w seems a bit low. Most "gamer" rigs run a 650watt minimum. GPU's and the CPU both require a lot of power when running a fairly modern game.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 01:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Since you seem to be computer savvy and I apologize if you've already done this...

Just spitballing here.

Yes I’ve done chkdsk and mesched. No errors repaired or anything.

I’ve run device manager and there were no red or yellow flags.

The PSU is something I’ve never messed with. I don’t know what brand it is, but I’m fairly certain it’s a cheap Chinese one. I’m starting to think that’s the problem like flatcoat stated.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Do you monitor gpu temps? Fans working? Updated nvidia drivers from official site? Removed and reseated gpu?
edit on 1-12-2019 by Jason79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 01:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: IrateCanadian
I don't think your PSU is supporting enough. 500w seems a bit low. Most "gamer" rigs run a 650watt minimum. GPU's and the CPU both require a lot of power when running a fairly modern game.

Yeah, it looks like I'm going to have to look at some black friday deals.

What are some good brands?

edit on 1-12-2019 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Jason79

Did all of those. GPU drivers are up to date. Reseated it just to make sure it had not mysteriouslt come loose.

CPU temp never gets above 55C so its not overheating.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior

originally posted by: Lumenari

Just spitballing here.

Yes I’ve done chkdsk and mesched. No errors repaired or anything.

I’ve run device manager and there were no red or yellow flags.

The PSU is something I’ve never messed with. I don’t know what brand it is, but I’m fairly certain it’s a cheap Chinese one. I’m starting to think that’s the problem like flatcoat stated.

I'm thinking that's where I would go next if I were you.

Your error is the computer shutting down to prevent a data loss... an under-rated PSU could certainly do that.

If it only happens when gaming and chkdsk was OK then it would just make sense.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: IrateCanadian

Depending on what GPU he has, 500w is fine. I mean, unless he's running something that will max it all out, I don't think a bigger PSU will matter.

-- Oh we do know a 1050ti.. I have a 1060 6gb and a 500w psu, no bsods... but I don't game hardcore. I do a lot of rendering though..

-- back to my usual ramblings..

Anyway, like I once heard "Doc, it hurts when I do this!"

"Well stop doing that, then."

edit on 1-12-2019 by gallop because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Windows ten is performance meter take a quick look to see if your topping out. Are you over clocking?
edit on 1-12-2019 by Veryolduser because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Is your game set to use DirectX12? If so, try setting it to 11.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Have you looked in Windows System Event log?
Check each device in Device Manager for splats or unknown devices
Bring up an elevated command prompt (admin)
Run chkdsk c: /f /r

edit on 12/1/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 02:49 AM
link   
If it's a cheap PSU and you have the money you might as well replace it with a slightly more powerful (and better name brand) anyway (a cheap PSU can do a lot of damage when it dies so it's not worth the risk when you can buy an excellent PSU from a reputable manufacturer for not that much more).

My guess would be the PSU just can't handle the sustained load.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Get Prime95 and stress test the crap outta it outside of a game
And HWMonitor to monitor the voltage , clocks , temps....

edit on 12/1/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 05:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior
The PSU is something I’ve never messed with. I don’t know what brand it is, but I’m fairly certain it’s a cheap Chinese one.

The PSU is absolutely the LAST thing you want to cheap out on in a computer. Buy one from a good brand asap - Corsair, Thermaltake, EVGA, Cooler Master, etc... And get one with more than 500w. Go for 650 or 750 to be safe.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 05:42 AM
link   
What error code are you getting?

Here are the common ones:

0x0000009F (power setting issue)
0×00000050, 0×40000080 (commonly a overheating/dust issue)
0x000000FE, 0×000000124 (memory and graphics card issue)
0×0000007E, 0×0000008E, 0x00000073, 0×000000116 (driver issue)
0×0000000A, 0x0000001A, 0×000000EA, 0×000000BE, 0×000000D1,0×000000FC (driver issue)

Start there.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 06:14 AM
link   

I think IrateCanadian is probably right that the problem is your power supply , 500 watt is fine for your system but PSUs do go bad and when they do cause blue screens under load , they tend to be the most forgotten part of a PC but probably one of the most important.

Most people cut corners on the PSU they get , my advice is get an 80 plus Bronze rated PSU as a minimum.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Psu is probably right ... even if it's wrong if you brought it to a shop it be the first thing they test ... hears why

Even if your psu says it puts out 500w it probably dosent it did the first 6 months you owned it but now it can only do 495 watts now let's move to 5 years later your 500w psu is now down To 380 watts this happens faster the lower quality the part is

Now with that in consideration realize that a psu rating includes your 5v and 3.3v rails your main power draw is on the 12v rails its normaly a 80/20 split with 80 going to the 12v so that 500w psu you bought was really abit less than that in real usable power

So for a general rule if my psu is older than 5 years I make shure it has 1.5x the power rating required

I would link to the hardocp article explaining this and there 10year test but hardocp got bought bye intell

Buy seasonic all I can say yes it cost more and yes there not as flashy but they make most ome psu along with most other brands there the ones who actually build the psu not some rebrand company like corshair

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   
In the order in which comes to mind - Since it only happens when you're gaming:

- Check GPU temps. Is your Video Card getting too hot?

- Revert to older video card drivers. Recent patch changes could have an effect on your specific brand/type card.

- See if you have the latest drivers for your video card.

- Your power supply may be just enough to keep your PC running. 500W isn't a whole lot on today's rigs. A graphic intensive game could be pulling more power for various components (Memory, CPU, GPU) that it can not keep up with.

- Bad memory - Run burn in tests on your physical memory on both your motherboard and your graphics card.

You can write down the code you're getting from your BSoD and compare it to what Microsoft lists as the issue. Also note, you can get free software that can read the blue screen information logs. It's a small process involved.

Check your system logs and see what errors came up (event viewer).

If all of the above fails... Change out the parts you may have a backup of, one by one. This will let you rule out where the problem isn't and find out which component is giving you beef.

Good luck!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join