It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MEDIA LANDSLIDE...Over 7200 Jobs Eliminated in the First 3 Quarters of 2019.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Tuesday, October 15, 2019

I think President Donald Trump has empowered average Americans to be more aware of fake and/or misleading media publications and outlets. As a result, the public is "waking up" and scrutinizing what they see or read, more than ever before.

Americans are increasingly realizing that they've been duped/lied-to frequently, and are finding other trusted sources for news. This has caused more media layoffs in the first 9 months of this year, than in the 4 combined years prior to Donald Trump becoming President.

Sept 18, 2019 - In the past month, layoffs have hit Spin, ThinkProgress, Rooster Teeth, and others, bringing the total number of media layoffs in 2019 above 7,200, according to Business Insider's tally.

The latest cuts followed layoff announcements at BuzzFeed, CNN, Verizon, Vice Media, McClatchy, Disney, and Gannett — the largest newspaper publisher in the US.

For comparison, it's estimated that some 5,000 media jobs were cut from the market from 2014 to 2017.
More at: www.businessinsider.com...

Some of the higher-profile media outlets are injecting Political Biases of the owners, into their content.

For example, A "Project Veritas" undercover STING is currently exposing CNN. One of the segments reveals that CNN President Jeff Zucker tells employees several times per week on a 9am conference call, to focus on finding/using content that will help Democrats impeach President Donald Trump.

Constant Updates on the ExposeCNN Sting: twitter.com...

-CareWeMust

edit on 10/15/2019 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Yes!

Celebrate job losses!

MAGA!

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 03:25 AM
link   
To be fair... Gannet, who reads newspapers anymore? The USA Today is $2 and 6 pages of news. Drudge and Huffpo are free.

+18 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

Yes!

Celebrate job losses!

MAGA!

Most of the companies listed made a conscious choice to fail. It's been clear for a while that people want less fabrication and lies by ommission. They could have started making an honest effort to rectify the situation, but they made a discison not to in spite of growing evidence that what they were doing left their consumers feeling alienated.

The people I feel bad for are the ones just doing a regular job at these companies making enough to get by. The talking heads and agenda driven corporate hatemongers certainly aren't the ones missing meals and they should feel ashamed, but by any means necessary was more important.

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Yes!

Celebrate job losses!

MAGA!

Anyone who cares about MAGA, from either aisle, should be happy about fake news getting hurt. I know you aren't saying Democrats should embrace fake news ....

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Newspapers are in their final death throws and I really don't understand their business model. Local paper to get online access you have to get it delivered and they only print 5 days a week and it's delivered by the post office so 2-3 days later. Why not offer an electronic only version??

People are reading lots of different sites.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Yes!

Celebrate job losses!

MAGA!

If you could call lying to people a job?
I suppose it falls into the same category as telemarketer or real-estate agent...

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 06:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
As a result, the public is "waking up" and scrutinizing what they see or read, more than ever before.

Americans are increasingly realizing that they've been duped/lied-to frequently, and are finding other trusted sources for news.

You do realise its a cycle, myself and others born in the 70s were 'awakened' waaaaaay back in the 80s, maybe its time youth caught up

Why you would believe anything on the television is beyond me, yet peole do, especially when it echos there own thoughts, there is something to ponder OP.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Most of the companies/publications in that article and most of the jobs lost have nothing to do with politics. Read beyond the click-bait title. Jobs lost at Verizon, Cox, Disney, etc.

Celebrating these continuing indications of a coming downturn in the economy seems counterproductive.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I was told in college to rejoice the USA was switching from a production / service based economy to an information based economy.

So rejoice

edit on 15-10-2019 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

I haven't been impressed with much of what I was told in college as life goes on.

That said, there are corrections in a system the size of the US economy; it is my hope, as opposed to the tone of the OP, that I am wrong and this is not another indication of downturn.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Dont most stories share the same ralking points anyway? There are lots of videos where anchors use the same buzzwords across all networks.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

And what does down sizing of newspapers, the changing how the consumer digests mass media, the consumer changing their trusted sources of media, and investors pushing for cutting dead weight have to do with “indications of a coming downturn in the economy”?

7,200 people have lost their jobs so far this year in a media landslide

www.businessinsider.com...

Verizon (Yahoo, AOL, HuffPost): 800 jobs, January 23

In late January it was reported that Verizon would cut 7% of its staff at its media companies (an estimated 800 people), which include Yahoo, AOL, and The Huffington Post.

"These were difficult decisions, and we will ensure that our colleagues are treated with respect and fairness, and given the support they need," Guru Gowrappan, CEO of Verizon Media, said in a memo to staff.

It's estimated that 20 employees were laid off at HuffPost last Thursday, including opinion writers, political reporters, and others. Nearly 100 corporate Verizon employees were reportedly laid off in San Francisco.

The layoffs are in addition to the 10,400 employees that Verizon is looking to shed by the middle of 2019 as part of a buyout program announced in December.

Face it. Google and Facebook have killed off businesses like yahoo? Or buy up the competition when possible.
edit on 15-10-2019 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux
And what does down sizing of newspapers, the changing how the consumer digests mass media, the consumer changing their trusted sources of media, and investors pushing for cutting dead weight have to do with “indications of a coming downturn in the economy”?

In the case of Verizon they are having layoffs that have little to do with media and more to do with their aging and declining in use infrastructure: landlines.

My friend who works in marketing at their headquarters here in New Jersey said they are looking to potentially layoff up to 20,000 people across the entire company. That certainly doesn't help the economy.

edit on 15-10-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Job losses indicate the potential for economic downturns. Downsizing in print media has been going on for several decades, nothing to do with the current Administration. Companies rise and fall all the time even in healthy economies. Perhaps the data glommed together in the OP's source is just an example of that ... but then again perhaps not.

4000 job "losses" at Disney due to acquisitions and restructuring does not mean that "Americans trust Trump" as it is being spun here. You're interpreting the article, much as OP did, to support a particular narrative that is misleading in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I remember having a conversation with a young lady back in say 2000. She was a journalism grad from Missouri State. We were having a beer and talking about political things. She was all happy about any political deception that led to political results and said to me, "well its pretty much an open secret that all of us journalism majors are communist."

And it was very sad to me. I knew her decently enough to know that her mother was very proud of that as well. I suppose the sad thing was that other than her retarded commie thinking she was a fun person to chat with. Of course as always, after I told her that I thought communism was a mental defect I was no longer considered a friend by her and never had the opportunity to speak with her again.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Job losses indicate the potential for economic downturns. Downsizing in print media has been going on for several decades, nothing to do with the current Administration. Companies rise and fall all the time even in healthy economies. Perhaps the data glommed together in the OP's source is just an example of that ... but then again perhaps not.

4000 job "losses" at Disney due to acquisitions and restructuring does not mean that "Americans trust Trump" as it is being spun here. You're interpreting the article, much as OP did, to support a particular narrative that is misleading in my opinion.

I wonder how that explains lefty websites such as Buzzfeed and others laying off many workers??

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: neutronflux

In the case of Verizon they are having layoffs that have little to do with media and more to do with their aging and declining in use infrastructure: landlines.

My friend who works in marketing at their headquarters here in New Jersey said they are looking to potentially layoff up to 20,000 people across the entire company. That certainly doesn't help the economy.

Can you cite a source other than your friend?

While cable based information and internet phone services replace Verizon. And I thought Verizon already sold off their land lines to Frontier?

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 07:37 AM
link   
From the OP article:

The layoffs are in addition to the 10,400 employees that Verizon is looking to shed by the middle of 2019 as part of a buyout program announced in December.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fools

originally posted by: Gryphon66

I wonder how that explains lefty websites such as Buzzfeed and others laying off many workers??

Well, I'd say it means that market forces don't reflect political terminology like "lefty" for one. If that is your claim, why don't you analyze the data at hand and let us know the number of job losses at what you consider "lefty" websites, and then divide that number by the total number of jobs lost as claimed by the article. That might give at least a rough factual estimate of magnitude of the impact you're claming.
edit on 15-10-2019 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join