It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MEDIA LANDSLIDE...Over 7200 Jobs Eliminated in the First 3 Quarters of 2019.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Then cite a source newspapers and news startups are dying from your imaginary economic downturn vs dying from changes from consumer habits like the paid telephone, mechanical typewriter, dialup modems, block buster video....

15 Jobs That Will Be Gone in 10 Years

www.cheatsheet.com...

By looking at employment data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics related to job growth and decline, we were able to pinpoint a handful of jobs that are rapidly shrinking — and which might be almost completely gone within the next decade. We also used some information from a report compiled by Lottoland.

Of course, these jobs will probably always exist in some fashion. (We even have horse-and-buggy drivers to this day.) But their roles are quickly diminishing. For that reason, they might not be fields you want to try to break into. Let’s take a quick look to see if your job is on the endangered-species list.

4. Broadcasters
In an age when Edward R. Murrow and Walter Cronkite have been replaced by Wolf Blitzer and Brian Williams, many people have already labeled broadcast journalism as dead. Of course, this is another industry that won’t disappear completely. But it is shrinking, meaning the few positions that are out there will become even more competitive. And generally, broadcast reporting is a hard job that pays relatively little and requires long hours.

7. Printers and publishers
Publishing and printing, at least in the old-fashioned sense, is an endangered industry. Technology has brought it to the digital realm, and we’ve seen the aftermath in declining newspaper readership and the rise of e-books. We’ll always publish books and periodicals, but the folks who have been trained in the old ways of producing them are likely to find themselves out of a job in the near future.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   

The below pretty much sums up your attitude..

Things change — be it from technology advancing, an influx of cheap labor due to globalization or shifting immigration patterns, or even just a change in consumer tastes. Yet, despite the fact that many industries and jobs seemed doomed to the dust bins of history, many Americans remain stuck in denial — even when we should be looking forward to automation and robots taking the reins from humans.
www.cheatsheet.com...

edit on 15-10-2019 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Good luck with this one...

Does Journalism Have a Future?

In an era of social media and fake news, journalists who have survived the print plunge have new foes to face.

www.newyorker.com...

The broader problem is that the depravity, mendacity, vulgarity, and menace of the Trump Administration have put a lot of people, including reporters and editors, off their stride. The present crisis, which is nothing less than a derangement of American life, has caused many people in journalism to make decisions they regret, or might yet. In the age of Facebook, Chartbeat, and Trump, legacy news organizations, hardly less than startups, have violated or changed their editorial standards in ways that have contributed to political chaos and epistemological mayhem. Do editors sit in a room on Monday morning, twirl the globe, and decide what stories are most important? Or do they watch Trump’s Twitter feed and let him decide? It often feels like the latter. Sometimes what doesn’t kill you doesn’t make you stronger; it makes everyone sick. The more adversarial the press, the more loyal Trump’s followers, the more broken American public life. The more desperately the press chases readers, the more our press resembles our politics.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

So, from your rather unique perspective, what does the Republican power structure think of the idea that OP has presented that Mr. Trump has somehow caused the downfall of media in this country? Have you heard or seen any chatter that you can share given that you are a media rep for Republicans?

Thanks,

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
a reply to: carewemust

Yes!

Celebrate job losses!

MAGA!

Funny. When the shoe is on the other foot the left fakes outrage.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Sept 18, 2019 - In the past month, layoffs have hit Spin, ThinkProgress, Rooster Teeth, and others, bringing the total number of media layoffs in 2019 above 7,200, according to Business Insider's tally.

I agree, but I can't understand why Rooster Teeth is used as an example even though they did layoff 14% or so of their 450 personnel, but they make cartoons lol.
edit on 15-10-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Yes!

Celebrate job losses!

MAGA!

Celebrate the downfall of corrupt media. There is nothing that keeps the media in check except for advertisers. if no one is watching/reading, there goes the paycheck. It's time for these companies to get back to basics and that is reporting the news as equally as possible and let the viewer/reader make decisions.

MAGA baby!

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: carewemust

Sept 18, 2019 - In the past month, layoffs have hit Spin, ThinkProgress, Rooster Teeth, and others, bringing the total number of media layoffs in 2019 above 7,200, according to Business Insider's tally.

I agree, but I can't understand why Rooster Teeth is used as an example even though they did layoff 14% or so of their 450 personnel, but they make cartoons lol.

That paragraph in the article was only citing media companies that laid off people within 30 days of the article being published. There were also lots of media layoffs in little towns. Our local "Northwest Herald" (Chicago suburbs) was one of those.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

So, from your rather unique perspective, what does the Republican power structure think of the idea that OP has presented that Mr. Trump has somehow caused the downfall of media in this country? Have you heard or seen any chatter that you can share given that you are a media rep for Republicans?

Thanks,

As long as corporate advertisers are still willing to engage in capitalism; The media will still be a viable enterprise, because the media is just a platform to hang ads on. Most Americans just want their bread and circus and Politics is a tiny part of the whole enchilada. My contract with the GOP media machine is mostly technical, I do meet some local candidates, nice guys and gals mostly. And it's a union shop so the pay is extremely good for the department I work in.
I have produced, written copy, directed, political ads in previous elections, but the big dogs supply the format; no deviation or creativity allowed.

edit on 15-10-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: jhn7537

The folks that are

media members who actively lied daily to try to help bring down a duly elected President.

are not the ones who are going to lose their jobs.

The people losing their jobs are going to be the janitors. the electricians. the office workers who handle the day to day.

Not the on-air people, or the producers, or their masters.

As AM asked a bit ago, on the first page I believe, whether this is a net positive, or negative for the economy.

I'd have to say negative. House payments are going to be tough to make. Kids are going to be harder to feed. etc...

Well it is inevitable these things die in today's electronic playground. The companies deserve what they get and the employees need to get on with their lives. Use it as a good experience of what to do and not to do and get motivated.

Their bosses hosed them with crappy products and allowing falsehoods to be spread despite plenty of opportunity to do right.

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

Yes!

Celebrate job losses!

MAGA!

Celebrate the downfall of corrupt media. There is nothing that keeps the media in check except for advertisers. if no one is watching/reading, there goes the paycheck. It's time for these companies to get back to basics and that is reporting the news as equally as possible and let the viewer/reader make decisions.

MAGA baby!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS IS IT^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Back to basics and when your company is untrustworthy it becomes a big deal breaker for us.

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I think they are targeting a different audience and providing a different product.

Us baby boomers still have a lot of influence with our discretionary dollars, but we are not the main focus of the entertainment dollar anymore.

I gave up on news programming years ago when the morning news became all about entertainment, with a sprinkle of local news thrown in. The bulk of it is promoting some group, I have never heard of, or some product I have no interest in.

The news is canned and the absolute same on every channel, so in essence, there is no real news anymore.

Infotainment is the new product of the day. Truth is rare. Titillation and envy is the engine that drives a medium designed to keep people dissatisfied, feeling inept, always wanting, and believing that happiness can be bought.

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus
And I always thought you supported people voting with their dollars against companies they disagree with. What a phony!

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Understood.

Yes, the corporate media is for hire. I could just wish folks would understand that ALL of it is hired to manipulate public opinion and they've gotten genius-level with that aspect.

Aside from that, it's ad dollars. Thanks for the time, Olaru.

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Understood.

Yes, the corporate media is for hire. I could just wish folks would understand that ALL of it is hired to manipulate public opinion and they've gotten genius-level with that aspect.

Aside from that, it's ad dollars. Thanks for the time, Olaru.

I don't work in the glass and chrome offices where the decisions are made as to content and programming. But everyone knows that profit, like in any business, is the driving motive. I know there is a conspiracy idea that media is a deep state control mechanism to steer culture and society into a brave new world. I don't see that. However I always try and encourage everyone to produce what ever subjects strike their fancy. Digital media has changed everything where anyone can produce programming on their kitchen table with nothing more than a cell phone with a camera, to shoot and edit.
There are hundreds of platforms besides youtube to stream your content.

If you have a good story or interesting documentary material or personality, anyone can be the next Alex Jones; And perhaps create a multimillion $$$ empire like he did.

If anyone is dissatisfied with the current media paradigm: get up off your ass, quit bitchin, and join the new media revolution. Take a class with your public access channel like Alex and I did to learn the ropes and show us what you got.

Join us...I often work for free on projects I think have potential, for high-school and college kids, seniors anyone, sometimes it payoff big. At least they are making an attempt to "live the dream" and don't constantly whine about how bad the media sucks.

Lead, follow or GTFO of the way!
edit on 17-10-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I avoid all the anti-Trump news outlets. If most conservatives do the same thing, advertisers must take heed. If your ads are reaching only half the folks they used to reach at a news outlet, why would you advertise as much with them or pay the same rates?

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Aside from one of the more ridiculous OPs I've read for a while it has to do with the fact that more and more people are turning to youtube and podcast

Shows like jimmy dore and Joe Rogan or whatever show people are into are far better than the over produced crap on tv

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Breakthestreak

At least you arent calling them liberals

In what low IQ world are the free men "liberals" fighting to take away gun rights?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join