It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey's Syria invasion: Member of US Special Forces says, 'I am ashamed for the first time in my

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: mightmight

Ahh okay.. You are right, pulling out of a war zone is different than putting troops in saudi.

I do think 50 operators might have shown Erdogan that were serious about protecting the kurds.

I think trump should have fought for some type of peace treaty before pulling troops out.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

What peace treaty? The Obama admin made promises to the Kurds where no promise could ever be kept. The Kurds have no land, no country. What would this treaty look like, what would it require of US forces to enforce it?

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Protection against who? For how long? What was the end goal?

Protection against Turkeys aggression. Taken from my previous post :

For weeks, the two Nato allies (USA-Turkey) have been working to set up a buffer zone along the Syrian-Turkish border, in an attempt to keep US-backed Kurdish forces at least 32km from Turkey. However, Ankara has been growing frustrated with the progress, and began to prepare for an assualt into Kurdish-held areas of northeast Syria to clear them of the YPG militia.

As you can see the end goal was the creation of 32 KM zone, without any bloodshed.

Peace

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Seed76

And no one owns that zone right now? Syria is in agreement with the US being there and these plans? What about when Syrian forces go back up and reclaim the land? The US is going to fight Turkey, in Syria, and that makes sense to you ... how?
edit on 11-10-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

As much as Turkey is taking a bit s# all over everything, you forget that they are our 'ally' and a member of NATO hosting our troops, so there is not much we can do against them unless we want to lose their 'hospitality' It is a key staging area and more.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: contextual
How? putin owns trump,

Stopped reading there, enough to know there's nothing worth reading...

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany
As much as Turkey is taking a bit s# all over everything, you forget that they are our 'ally' and a member of NATO hosting our troops,

Hmmm....

Maybe this is some kind of move pre-empting another move to have Turkey removed from NATO and declared a hostile State?

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

Which would be both good and bad for the US...tough call

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Yeah, I certainly don't know enough about the politics/history of the region and players...

All I know for sure, is we have no business being there, all it is doing is keeping the hornets stirred up and aimed at us, and costing us money and American lives.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Riffrafter

I'm sure Trump & his political team knew the Dems wouldn't like this and would squawk, but I think they were counting on the loyalty of his core base on this issue and so they figured they could weather the storm.

Without his core base, the man is truly an island.

It's going to get interesting.

You need to agree with one part in all this..we need to answer the question of when do we get out? The other part is WHERE IS THE REST OF THE WORLD! Everyone on the planet can disagree with Trump, but I don't see other countries filling in the gaps. Add in Turkey is a NATO partner and if they want to go this way maybe this is a good thing as they stop being a NATO partner that so many want. Trump campaigned on pulling out and that is what he did and once again this is small compared to Obama's pullout of Iraq that created ISIS and that whole mess on a grand scale that makes this look like chump change. Where was the "oh the horrors" with Obama?

edit on 11-10-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

Yeah, I certainly don't know enough about the politics/history of the region and players...

All I know for sure, is we have no business being there, all it is doing is keeping the hornets stirred up and aimed at us, and costing us money and American lives.

Who doesnt want to get out of middle eastern wars?

I'm 100% on board with letting them figure it out for themselves!

Trump has us in plenty of oil, a great economy, and no reason to be there!

Who here hasn't said sometime over the last 20 years, why are we at war?

Lolz🤪

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

In that case Trump is still abandoning allies to the wolves. Only now he's also a weak, ineffective, leader that bows down to the demands of other countries without getting anything in return.

If President Trump "got anything in return" the Democrats would call it "quid pro quo" and call it illegal.

Or did you forget all that?:? just shows YOU want it both ways Like Most Democrats, you are not consistant.

which is why they will LOSE in 2020!!

thanks

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Since i do not want to start a new thread, i will post it here since it´s relevant to the US-Forces.

Exclusive: Turkey bombs US Special Forces in Syria Attack, Apparently by mistake

A contingent of U.S. Special Forces has been caught up in Turkish shelling against U.S.-backed Kurdish positions in northern Syria, days after President Donald Trump told his Turkish counterpart he would withdraw U.S. troops from certain positions in the area.

Newsweek has learned through both an Iraqi Kurdish intelligence official and senior Pentagon official that Special Forces operating on Mashtenour hill in the majority-Kurdish city of Kobani fell under artillery fire from Turkish forces conducting their so-called "Operation Peace Spring" against Kurdish fighters backed by the U.S. but considered terrorist organizations by Turkey.

The senior Pentagon official said that Turkish forces should be aware of U.S. positions "down to the grid." The official could not specify the exact number of personnel present, but indicated they were "small numbers below company level," so somewhere between 15 and 100 troops.

The official said shelling was so heavy that the U.S. personnel were exfiltrated once the attack had ceased. Newsweek has reached out to the Pentagon for comment on the situation.

Keep in mind that this is a developing story.

Peace

edit on 11-10-2019 by Seed76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   

So apparently my earlier comment that the US forces being there won't necessarily mean there won't be attacks was correct.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   
What was All the training for?
if they can not do the job by them selfs???

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Watch the left dropping this like a hot potato now. Erdogan doesn't care if western troops (French SOF was there too) get caught in the crossfire, detterence is ineffectual.
Trump made the right call here getting the troops out.

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Where is NATO? Why aren't they stepping up their game? Cuz they got no game. Instead of blaming Trump and the US for everything, shut your face and pony up your responsibility.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

War sucks.. People get killed and promises are a matter of convenience ..... Useful Pawns on a chess board..

So sad. We need to collectively transcend this...

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: VeeTNA
a reply to: 727Sky

War sucks.. People get killed and promises are a matter of convenience ..... Useful Pawns on a chess board..

So sad. We need to collectively transcend this...

Nice thought...seriously.

But how?

The devil is in the details and the Strategic and Tactical Operating Plan.

For our troops - there is *nothing* else.

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

I really don't know.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join