It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey's Syria invasion: Member of US Special Forces says, 'I am ashamed for the first time in my

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: Balans

Exactly .. the reasoning of "we need to pull troops out of the ME,", but only these 50 soldiers protecting the kurds. Meanwhile lets send more soldiers to saudi arabia.

Anyone, who isnt a trump zombie, can see this is fishy.

If Erdogan was willing to pull the trigger, do you seriously think the presence of 50 SOF Operators would have kept him at bay? Simply ignore them and move on with killing Kurds would have worked perfectly well.
Trumps usual ineptiute aside, there simply isnt whole lot that could have been done.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
I would've been ashamed to be responsible for teaching terrorists how to massacre Arabs for the crime of simply not being Kurds, personally. I would feel quite relieved not to have that job anymore.

I think it is more that Kurds want their place to call home where they are not persecuted. The British screwed things up.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

That's hilarious.

So now the common misnomer to pull troops out is only if they're an invasion force. So you are actually against pulling troops out of every other country but Syria at this time.

All of a sudden the ME = only Syria

Something about moving goalposts and stuff.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Balans

That's hilarious.

So now the common misnomer to pull troops out is only if they're an invasion force. So you are actually against pulling troops out of every other country but Syria at this time.

All of a sudden the ME = only Syria

Something about moving goalposts and stuff.

No goalposts moved. Whether I am for or against something is meaningless. If you think there is no difference between the US forces in a hostile country invading that country, and being in an 'ally' country at their request then you are hopeless. So are you saying there is no difference?

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: mightmight

Considering the fact that he attacked civilian targets mere hours after Trump's announcement seems to indicate that these soldiers were a detriment.

It also seems like a deal may have been struck between Trump and Erdogan. I mean Trump surprises everyone with this announcement shortly after talking on the phone with Erdogan. These troops just so happen to be the first called home. Turkey then launches its attack. And then Trump excuses it because the Kurds didn't help the allies in WWII. Which is a massive lie by the way.

This all seems very planned out. Erdogan gets his genocide. I wonder what Trump's getting.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Ofcourse there is a difference.

What is it you are implying with your notification of that difference?

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Of all of them I like the Kurds the most.

But if the US is not overthrowing the Syrian government what are we doing in Syria? If we are not using our military to steal land and give it to the Kurds, what are we doing?

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Ofcourse there is a difference.

What is it you are implying with your notification of that difference?

I implied nothing, I flat out stated it. There is a difference, you agree, so why are you posting as if there is not? That's what I find hilarious, you agree with me that there is a difference, but can't help yourself but to argue.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Because that particular difference doesn't really matter anymore after how many years now.

So why did you even bring it up if it implies nothing ?

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

I would've been ashamed to be responsible for teaching terrorists how to massacre Arabs for the crime of simply not being Kurds, personally. I would feel quite relieved not to have that job anymore.

I think it is more that Kurds want their place to call home where they are not persecuted. The British screwed things up.

The Zionists said the same thing. It still doesn't justify genocide. Especially when Kurds rights were respected in Ba'athist Syria. This isn't Iraq under Saddam.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

The Zionists said the same thing. It still doesn't justify genocide. Especially when Kurds rights were respected in Ba'athist Syria. This isn't Iraq under Saddam.

Genocide? You mean what the muslims tried to do to the Jews? When the Jews said yes let us live in peace and day 1 were invaded?

The genocide is being perpetrated against the Kurds.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Considering the fact that he attacked civilian targets mere hours after Trump's announcement seems to indicate that these soldiers were a detriment.

We simply dont know that. Turkey might have had a fixed timetable and would have gone in no matter what while the US waited until the last possible moment to withdraw its SOF.

It also seems like a deal may have been struck between Trump and Erdogan. I mean Trump surprises everyone with this announcement shortly after talking on the phone with Erdogan. These troops just so happen to be the first called home. Turkey then launches its attack. And then Trump excuses it because the Kurds didn't help the allies in WWII. Which is a massive lie by the way.

This all seems very planned out. Erdogan gets his genocide. I wonder what Trump's getting.

Nothing, its just Trump being Trump and this whole affair is overblown anyway.

Turkey has been warring with the Kurds for decades and has been occupying Syrian territory for years at this point. This latest offensive will change nothing in the long run. Yeah sure, there will be some clashes, the Kurds will make the Turks look bad and vice versa and the innocent will die and suffer. And in the end everything will be as it was since the fall of the Ottoman Empire. The Kurds dont get a state and but the Turks wont be able to rule over them. Life goes on. No genocide or some such, just the usual horrors of war.

So sure, the US could probably comitted several BCTs for the next decade or two to deter Turkey from moving deeper into Northeastern Syria. But for what? Everyone is ridiculing Trump for that Normandy comment and justifiable so. But he also got a point – it’s not like the US has some sort of blood ties with the Kurds, forged through decades of trusted and tested partnership. No, it is what it is. An Alliance based on mutual interest. Their involvement never at any point committed the US to confronting an NATO ally over their justifiable security interests or sponsoring Kurdish statehood or something.

I don’t necessarily agree with Trumps general approach here but he has been very consistent on this. The US has poured way too much into the Middle East. It has more commitments than it can keep if we are honest. It’s a decent call to try to stay out of at least some of the conflicts in the region.

And yes it sucks that on one hand they are moving troops into Saudi Arabia to deter Iran and don’t do anything about the Kurdish situation but it’s an imperfect universe and frankly, compared to what would happen if the Iran situation got out of control Turkey moving into Syria is not even a blip on the radar.
But i get it, bashing Trump is the thing now, so everything gets blown out of proportion.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: mightmight

Or he called and said we are coming in, so get them out or don't. And Trump got them out.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I just don't understand why people are mad at Trump, rather than Obama for involving us in this conflict with no clear goal, no clear direction, and creating a huge mess.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Some back story for all y'all. The Kurds have been fighting for a homeland for a long time, at least since the area was chopped up wrong in the first place. And the Kurds, like all those little tribes down there go out and fight to gain more land for themselves. This is their history.

Yes, they were promised a homeland way back in the day before we went in and messed up Iraq. They didn't get it then and they were NOT promised one in Syria. They asked way back when all this Syria mess started and eventually were told NO, by everyone. USA, Russia, Turkey, Syria, all agreed with this. Syria offered to allow the Kurds to rule themselves locally but they were NOT going to be another country. The Kurds turned him down. So the Kurds do NOT expect a homeland unless they fight for it.

Turkey talked about this buffer zone a long time ago and Russia agreed with it in 2018. I would think Russia hasn't changed their minds.

The USA and Turkey are allies. We will NOT fight Turkey for the Kurds. The Kurds are aware of this. And have been for a long time.

The USA, Syria, Turkey, Russia have all asked the EU countries to take back their ISIS members and put them on trial. The EU refused. The EU refused to help Turkey fund the refugee camps they have and Turkey is deporting Syrians and others because according to all accounts, the Syrian engagement is over. Done. The end. Time to come home.

The ISIS camp/prison in Syria is not going to be funded by Syria, Russia, USA or Turkey. Since no one else wants to fund it, it will fall and all those people will get out. The Kurds do NOT care if they get out or not as you can see if you are watching it. The Kurds are too concerned with their lifelong enemy, the Turks. And the Kurds are leaving this camp to go fight the Turks and the camp people know it. This is their chance to escape and they will take it. And they will go "HOME" to the EU countries they came from. Good luck EU people because you are going to need it. The EU should have taken them people while they had the chance and as they didn't, these people are going to come back and join the population with all their nastiness and theology. I actually pity the EU at this point. Sucks to be them. War is coming to them and it will be on their own soil. The USA will NOT help with it as it's an internal matter and we have our own internal war going on in the USA. You are on your own.

BTW, the UN, who could have stepped in to fund this camp/prison is broke and has no money to give them. LOL

The Kurds knew that Turkey was going to be given this 20 mile buffer zone. They are the ones that are resisting this and will get no help besides the protection of civilians if they get that. Although, Russia, Syria and the USA are watching Turkey closely and Turkey knows this. So Turkey will NOT be making that big a mess. Will some civilians die? Yep. It's what happens when conflicts happen and you don't run from the area where it's at. They had plenty of time to move out of there and didn't. Why not? They knew this was coming. They didn't care did they? So why should I?

The USA doesn't need anything from the Middle East. And if you are watching the world, you would have noticed that the USA oil dollar is going away. Russia, China and others no longer accept dollars or exchange dollars for oil. That is over and the USA dollar as international currency is coming to an end for a lot of countries. Slowly but surely, Trump will have to change our monetary system as it's no longer the world's dollar but the USA's dollar. This will affect the USA somewhat I am sure but it's needed.

The USA is NOT the world's policeman. We should NOT have to be. Take care of your own crap. Surprisingly, people bitch and moan about the USA being a bully. And when we leave they bitch and moan about how we left them in a lurch. What do they want? Just to bitch and blame someone else for their miserable lives. Sucks to be them. They are never happy and will never be. So no use in trying to help them become happy because it's not possible for them obviously.

The hypocrites out there saying we are screwing over the Kurds do not have their facts straight and are just going on "feelings". Feelings will get you dead. Stupidity will get you dead. And why should I ask the USA populace to go defend people that don't like us anyway? Because of some twat's "feelings"? LMFAO That's not the way the real world works.

If you are so concerned with the Kurds, no one is stopping you from going over there and fighting along side them. Whatcha waiting on? An invitation? I don't recall anyone issuing invitations for all those fighters in that ISIS camp/prison over there. Those people chose to go and traveled across countries to join ISIS because they felt they wanted to "help". And some of those were teenage girls. So what's keeping y'all from going? Where there's a will, there's a way. Hop to it. No one is holding ya back. Do NOT ask me to go or the USA military to go because it's NOT our fight. Like Trump stated, it's over 7000 miles from us.

As far as the statements that some of those ISIS people will make it to the USA. Probably. And we will handle that when it happens. Just like the EU is going to handle all their citizens or visitors to their countries. Since the EU and others wanted to make this a USA problem for holding and supporting all their criminal citizens that were indoctrinated in the EU BTW, the USA (Trump) said, "NOPE. Not our problem. Not our citizens." These people want to go HOME to the EU. And they will whether the EU takes them as prisoners or as border jumpers returning home. The EU messed up. But the EU was also not unaware this was going to happen either. I feel no pity for fools. The EU thought Trump was lying? LMFAO They should have known better by now but hey, they couldn't care less could they? And now the Kurds are doing what the Kurds do best. Fighting Turkey, their mortal enemy for life, and leaving this camp/prison unguarded for all those criminals to flee to the EU and parts unknown.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Like I've said before, a lot of what is going on now is for the purpose of trying to goad Trump into fighting a ground war in Syria on behalf of MBS and against Iran. John Bolton and the warhawks have been foaming at the mouth about this for a long time. The U.S. has been in a shadow war with China, Russia, Turkey, Iran, etc. for a good while. These states all want the U.S. to get bogged down in another quagmire war in the middle east. Trump is actually doing the smart thing by not taking the bait. However, there are a lot of steps he needs to be taking in the shadow war that he is not. So it is more of a case that he kind of lucked into the correct response due to his famous obstinacy rather than having a superior strategy for dealing with geopolitics with the global shadow war.

Yeah, it is a terrible situation for the Kurds. But just ask yourself, if the insane social justice left and the old war criminal NeoCon right are both in agreement about something do you think it would be prudent to wonder why?

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

A normal reaction. It took 3 years, but people are figuring out that President Trump works hard to keep his campaign promises. A very rare human being..let alone President.
edit on 10/10/2019 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

I suggest he come back to the USA and help reduce the number of Americans killed by citizens and illegal aliens. That's where our #1 priority should be.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   

So now the common misnomer to pull troops out is only if they're an invasion force.

You have to start somewhere. Areas where our troops are actually in harms way sounds like a good place to start to me.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

So... I wonder why Assad is allowing this to occur? I mean, he is the Syrian leader, is he not?

I also wonder if what we are being told is happening over there is actually what is happening over there?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join