It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey's Syria invasion: Member of US Special Forces says, 'I am ashamed for the first time in my

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I'm all for American troops to go home, from everywhere. My question is though, why start with those 50 or so particular troops who kept an entire country at bay from genociding kurds and freeing all those daesh fighters?
Why not start elsewhere where your troops are making less of a difference, say Afghanistan or Iraq.
Why start with those particular troops knowing full well what a blowback it would bring on?

As I said I fully support bringing your sons and daughters back home, but you can't just bail out without any contingency plan after screwing up most of that region. At least have the stones to help figure out how to get out of there with the least amount of trouble for the local population, especially a population that's holding thousands of daesh affiliated vermin in prison camps.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Riffrafter

Trump supporters love our troops?,,,,,yeah, I'll agree with you on that one.

What I don't agree with is thinking that pulling our troops out of harms way is looked at as a bad thing. I love that concept....

I fully agree.

But I also believe that Trump was counting on the unwavering support of his core base - no matter what he said or did.

And that belief may really bite him on the ass in this case.

Maybe that's a good thing in the grand scheme of things, n'est pas?

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13

Another question is what's to stop the Kurds from spawning the next ISIS?

I seem to recall a lot of people blaming Obama pulling troops out of Iraq leading to the rise of ISIS. Why do those same people not think the same thing will happen in this case?

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 07:20 AM
link   

He promised to do exactly this when he was campaigning.

I'm active duty military 18+ years and I'm 100% on board with this.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

No, we blamed Obama and McCain for arming and creating isis in Egypt then importing them to Iraq and Syria.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Oh wow man your completely anecdotal story has totally changed my mind. Incredible point you’ve made.

Thanks for the snarky reply - it is much appreciated.

Well, I do believe my anecdotal story counts for a little more regarding what "public opinion" may be on this issue with respect to Trump's base supporters than your opinion does, since my anecdotal story is based on what actual MAGA folks have said vs whatever your personal opinion may be on the subject.

I'm sure you can find folks that say otherwise, but that was not the point of my post, as I'm sure you know.

Reasonable people can disagree reasonably. That forms the "core" of what ATS is all about in my opinion. If it was an echo chamber, no one would ever learn very much...and so would probably not visit or post very often.

edit on 10/10/2019 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
a reply to: Xcalibur254

No, we blamed Obama and McCain for arming and creating isis in Egypt then importing them to Iraq and Syria.

Ever since the borders in the Middle East were drawn out of ignorance and spite post world wars, the west (US in particular) has thrown gas on the fire whether in misguided good intention or malice.

Al Qaeda was essentially a CIA op against the USSR which came back to bite us in the ass at home, and in the region we've played just about every side post WWII. Look at any enemy we have there, at one time they were an ally.

I'm all for us just pulling out of the region wholesale. But I do question the motive on why this was the first step. Why 50-100 advisers when we're seeing the ramifications unfold, many argued a predictable outcome.

As long as we keep the trend and tone continuing to restructure our whole foreign policy for the region, the ends will justify the means, and in the end we have to start worrying about our house. But if this turns out to be the only notable change, I'll be left with more questions than answers.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Oh yeah that's an excellent idea
Send prayers over for them Not much anyone else can do with the Turkish onslaught

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

No matter what Americas policy in the Middle East has been or will become will ever bring peace to a region that can't historically live in peace.

Those people hate each other at the core.
I don't see that situation changing anytime soon..

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: CriticalStinker

No matter what Americas policy in the Middle East has been or will become will ever bring peace to a region that can't historically live in peace.

Those people hate each other at the core.
I don't see that situation changing anytime soon..

I can't really argue you on that. My point was our involvement has been one of our own downfalls.

While I understand we needed the region for an energy security aspect in the past, luckily that is no longer the case. And if we are still reliant on the region because of the Petro dollar, than let's examine and address that.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   

It's a bit of a pickle.............. Keep the western troops there and carry on spending loads on military adventures and body bags coming home or get the heck out and let them fight it out and watch others die. What an imposible situation, being leader of the armed forces must suck at times of decision like these. It's death or death either way.

To be fair most Kurds over here in the UK and there's plenty of these refugees (real ones) even though they are largely Iraqi Kurds are a very nice bunch. Not the usual Jihadi type but love our western culture. T-shirts, Levi's and seem to love getting their hair cut very regularly.

Can't see much changing right now for the Kurds over there til they get there own state but the neighbours won't allow it.

Maybe Netanyahu and Putin have something up their sleeve to save the day as they were age old allies of Israel but who knows what's going to happen. Volunteer force? Plenty of British Christians have gone out there to fight with the Kurds past few years. Bit like Spain in the 30's.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

It's a bit of a pickle.............. Keep the western troops there and carry on spending loads on military adventures and body bags coming home or get the heck out and let them fight it out and watch others die.
I agree it can get confusing. I figured why not just support them with drones once the western troops were relocated. That way the allies are left with intelligent air drone support from various western influences. Inturn supporting the allies and building a better rapport for potential future allies.

edit on 10/10/19 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Thanks for the snarky reply - it is much appreciated.

Whining about snark is pretty rich when it comes on the heels of telling somebody they must not support the military because they disagree with something you said.

Well, I do believe my anecdotal story counts for a little more regarding what "public opinion" may be on this issue with respect to Trump's base supporters than your opinion does, since my anecdotal story is based on what actual MAGA folks have said vs whatever your personal opinion may be on the subject.

You mean like the Trump supporters in this very thread, and any number of other threads here, who have said they support him pulling the troops out?

Reasonable people can disagree reasonably.

Reasonable people don’t resort to ad hominems and strawman arguments when somebody disagrees with something they said.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Ummm...damnit...I echo his sentiment...I'm ashamed as well...

Ashamed that my country and previous administrations thought it was a laughable hoot to destabilize Syria...and create the Isissies in the first place...

Ashamed that they also destabilized and factionalized...Iraq...Libya...Afghanistan...etc...ad nauseum...

I am thoroughly behind President Trump and his desire to end and pullout of these senseless and costly...in terms of blood and treasure...wars and incursions...etc...

I'm also ashamed of all of you that want to keep the blood flowing...just for oil and gas...

I also think it's laughable that all you progressives are so damned hawkish and advocate for more blood and oil...

YouSir
edit on 10-10-2019 by YouSir because: I felt the urge...

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Yet we sent troops to saudi arabia. Pure hypocrisy. There us still troops everywhere in the ME.

That reasoning is absolute bunk. Trump talked to Erdogan and then pulls troops out only in syria.

I swear, trump supporters gave put blinders over their eyes.
edit on 10-10-2019 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Balans

Exactly .. the reasoning of "we need to pull troops out of the ME,", but only these 50 soldiers protecting the kurds. Meanwhile lets send more soldiers to saudi arabia.

Anyone, who isnt a trump zombie, can see this is fishy.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Riffrafter

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Are you suggesting we have a full scale invasion/war and steal land from Syria and/or other countries and give it to the Kurds?

I'm not suggesting anything.

I'm simply saying that Trump will probably face political fallout from all sides on this issue.

Do you disagree?

I disagree.

And it seems as though you agree with Trump, but you don't care he is doing what is right you are full of glee at how it can hurt him. It's shameful.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I would've been ashamed to be responsible for teaching terrorists how to massacre Arabs for the crime of simply not being Kurds, personally. I would feel quite relieved not to have that job anymore.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: Balans

Exactly .. the reasoning of "we need to pull troops out of the ME,", but only these 50 soldiers protecting the kurds. Meanwhile lets send more soldiers to saudi arabia.

Anyone, who isnt a trump zombie, can see this is fishy.

What other war zones are we in where our presence is an invasion force?

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: 727Sky

Yet we sent troops to saudi arabia. Pure hypocrisy.

Are we supporting SA at their request or are we arming insurgents fighting SA and SA wants us gone?

Somehow you think that is the same thing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join