It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six elephants die trying to save each other from Thai waterfall

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   
The alarm was raised earlier today when Khao Yai National Park officials were trying to move a herd of elephants who were blocking a road , the officials heard elephant calls coming from the nearby Haew Narok waterfall , on investigation they found the body of a 3 year old calf on the mid tier of the falls and a further 5 elephants at the bottom of the falls , the incident was ongoing until recently with a mother , believed to be the mother of the drowned calf , and another calf still at the waterfall but it's being reported they have now been rescued.
twitter.com...

A team of park officials who were pushing elephants back into the forest from Highway 3077 in Prachin Buri heard loud elephant calls coming from Samor Poon creek near the waterfall at around 3am on Saturday.

At around 6am, they went to check and found an elephant calf, aged around 3 years, drowned on the first tier of the waterfall. Two elephants were spotted trying to help the calf. They looked exhausted.

The officials went down to the area below the waterfall and found five more elephants drowned, said Khanchit Srinoppawan, chief of the national park.

The waterfall has been closed to the public following the incident.

Mr Khanchit said more park officials and rescue workers were deployed and ropes were used to help the two other struggling elephants at the waterfall. They were safely rescued at 2.30pm on Saturday, the Khao Yai Gaur conservation group said on its Facebook page.

The animals were taken from the cliff near the falls, added Witthaya Hongwiangchan, director of the Protected Area Region 1 Office of the Department of National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation.

Pineapples, bananas and sugarcane with nutrient injections were given to the animals, Thai media reported.

www.bangkokpost.com...

It's a sad tale but I post it as more proof that we are not the only sentient animals on this rock and as tribute to those who gave their lives to save one of their own.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   
If someone/something is "saved" and it dies anyway of natural causes later on, wasn't that kind of a waste?

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I didn't want to click on this because the title alone made me sad. And for the very reason you noted.

Then I made myself because the elephants remarkable demonstration of their capacity--even sacrafice--for love deserves to be recognized and deeply contemplated.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
If someone/something is "saved" and it dies anyway of natural causes later on, wasn't that kind of a waste?

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

Damn dude, I hope you didn’t think to long on that, if that isn’t a WTF moment I don’t know what is. Someone? Really? SMH

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

Yes, you have honored them in the purest way. Hugs.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

So tragic. Poor elephants.

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Very sad story, elephants are incredibly smart, compassionate and caring animals, they also seem to have a sixth sense. Reading this reminded me of the story below. If you have a few mins it’s worth the read.

www.beliefnet.com...

There are two elephant herds at Thula Thula. According to his son Dylan, both arrived at the Anthony family compound shortly after Anthony’s death. “They had not visited the house for a year and a half and it must have taken them about 12 hours to make the journey,” Dylan is quoted in various local news accounts. “The first herd arrived on Sunday and the second herd, a day later. They all hung around for about two days before making their way back into the bush.” Read more at www.beliefnet.com...[/exnews ]

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders
WTF? tell that to your doctor..see what he says.

Unfrickenbelievable

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 06:33 PM
link   
So much more going on in an Elephants head.

This old girl is 80

The story in the OP makes me shed a tear.
edit on 6-10-2019 by vonclod because: I messed up

new topics

top topics

join