It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burger King Caves To PC Culture Takes The Word ‘Ham’ Out of ‘Hamburger’

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6
I understand.
But aren’t we fighting to hold onto a name from a country that once, in recent history committed mass genocide?

Besides why not invite everyone aboard the hypertension bandwagon?

I think I may have eaten horse once in the 70’s.
Did eat a lot of venison, and lots of seafood that we harvested ourselves.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: spacedoubt
I understand.
But aren’t we fighting to hold onto a name from a country that once, in recent history committed mass genocide?

Germany went off the rails for 24 years (in reality, only 12 years, but I'll grant the rise of the Nazi Party prior to Hitler's chancellorship was also a bleak, off the rails period.) The Islamic world's vipers have been striking the non-Islamic world's heels for 1400 years now.

Jesus forgives, I do not.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: spacedoubt
I understand.

Germany went off the rails for 24 years (in reality, only 12 years, but I'll grant the rise of the Nazi Party prior to Hitler's chancellorship was also a bleak, off the rails period.) The Islamic world's vipers have been striking the non-Islamic world's heels for 1400 years now.

Jesus forgives, I do not.

And the European Christian vipers have murdered, stolen and genocide for 2000 years and are still at it!
edit on 11-9-2019 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-9-2019 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Well, you added an exclamation point so it must be true...

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: spacedoubt

No one would worry about explaining anything about shawarma to us would they? If Muslims are only 2% of the population over there, isn't this more than likely a case of people being offended on behalf of others?

I mean, should we rename Manwich in case some people are worried it actually has men in it?

Oh, my bad, given the times we live in, they'll rename it so it's less sexist.
edit on 11-9-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I mean, should we rename Manwich in case some people are worried it actually has men in it?

Oh, my bad, given the times we live in, they'll rename it so it's less sexist.

Please don't give the exciteable any ideas. "Personwich" just does not sound like something edible.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
Pander to Muslims..

Erase the cultural origin of the Hamburg steak.

I wondered if maybe I needed to elaborate on these two clauses, but it looks like some members understood the 'death of a thousand cuts' of western civilization we're witnessing.

It seems really benign...changing one word in one place. But the more one thing is changed in one place to placate x group or y gender or z species, the more we send the message that our history and culture is negotiable.

Someone mentioned the borg earlier. We are witnessing an assimilation of a culture in real-time. Resistance is ...racist, sexist, elitist, bigoted, uneducated, outdated, and vilfied.

edit on 11-9-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Pander to Muslims..

Erase the cultural origin of the Hamburg steak.

I wondered if maybe I needed to elaborate on these two clauses, but it looks like some members understood the 'death of 1,000 cuts' of western civilization we're witnessing.

It seems really benign...changing one word in one place. But the more one thing is changed in one place to placate x group or y gender or z species, the more we send the message that our history and culture is negotiable.

Someone mentioned the borg earlier. We are witnessing an assimilation of a culture in real-time. Resistance is ...racist, sexist, elitist, bigoted, uneducated, outdated, and vilfied.

We're witnessing the titular concept of Orwell's vision of "newspeak." Elimination of modifiers from the language, rendering a hamburger which may cause some to think of it's origin in Hamburg, Germany, and reducing it to the universal "burger" is doubleplusgood for the People, simplifying their thought surrounding the burgers.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Control the language and you control what and how people think. After all, language is symbolic. Without the words to describe ideas, how many concepts are lost?

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:25 PM
link   
In the 70s and early 80s, our Burgermeister Konig's use to sell a Yumbo.

A HAM burger with lashings of thin sliced ham topped with melted flat cheese, in a burger bun.

Yes they were YummmO.

Bring back the Yumbo!!

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: gort51

You had my curiosity, now you have my attention... That sounds excellent, hell you even classed the joint up by using the word "lashings" to describe a pork product.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Steamed hams:

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
They do worry, they explain it on the menus in sit down restaurants. A lot of people don’t know what schwarma is.
Rather than explaining it every time. They just explain it on the menus.

Not as easy if you’re after a quick bite at a fast food place. I’m assuming not having to explain at all is easier.
Besides many have explained, and it hadn’t even occurred to me yet, that’s it’s usually just “burger” now. Or whopper or Big Mac, etc.

Does manwich have any meat in it? You have to add that right? Sloppy joe essentially. They call it manwich to avoid offending guys named joe!

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   
If it's not actually from or made in Hamburg, can it be called a hamburger, or is that false advertising?

Does a hotdog contain dog meat?

Is all Dijon mustard made in Dijon?

False advertising I tell ya!

Now I get the push for "freedom fries..."
edit on 11-9-2019 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Oh FFS! Push the button already.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: spacedoubt

French fries don't officially have meat in them either, but that didn't stop them from being offensive to Hindus at McDonald's because of how they were cooked.

So, yeah, people can get worried that Manwich does have people in it in some form or fashion if saying hamburger makes on think it has pork in it.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   
So no more Hamburger Helper? That should be a crime in itself.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Ummm...well...it is ground beef...

I like ground pork...just never had ground ham...

Dayum...you just might be on to something...ground ham patties...with extra cheese...

YouSir

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir
Dayum...you just might be on to something...ground ham patties...with extra cheese...

I think you're talking about Deviled Ham.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Spam is kind of like what ground ham would taste like, I think.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join