It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burger King Caves To PC Culture Takes The Word ‘Ham’ Out of ‘Hamburger’

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

The name change is in South Africa.
2 percent or fewer are Muslim, but it’s a growing demographic there

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny
Isn't ironic that the founder of Islam has the word "ham" in it too?

Coming to a Burger Sheik near you: The Mo-Med shwarma Whopper. Served on an Open Sesame seed bun with a side order of Fatwa Fries.

God, the corporate world has lost their mind and their balls.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6
I would totally order that!
I miss my moms middle eastern cooking

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Slightly off topic, but has anyone tried the "impossible whopper"? I now know why they are impossible, they are impossible to eat.

To top it off, I got attitude from the staff when I took it back and asked for a regular whopper instead. They then tried to charge me for it. Took the new burger and left.

Maybe no ham in it, but it tasted a lot better than whatever GMO crap they put in that impossible thing. LOL

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I can only remember calling them beef burgers, cheeseburgers or just burgers as a child when I lived in the UK. Regardless of provenance, the name beef burger is more logical, especially abroad. Maybe it's just me. Technically Hamburger could be taken to mean a resident of Hamburg. Burger is the Dutch word for citizen or resident and apparently it's the same in German but with an umlaut above the u.

What's in a name?

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: spacedoubt

Yeah, I'll admit that I also like middle eastern food... not real sure I'd buy it from Burger King, though. Also, to cover my bases, I tend to add a touch of bacon or rendered hog fat to anything I'm eating that might otherwise be "halal."

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Dr UAE

Yet in the UAE...a Muslim country, my Muslim colleagues understood what the heck a hamburger was. In fact you could order them just about everywhere, Yas mall has a dang good Shake Shack and a Texas Roadhouse which helped me get through some American food cravings. You can always ask the question "Hey, what's in this dish?" and if the answer doesn't measure up to your expectations or you don't trust it, then don't order it. Simple.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Aren't you one of the same ones who got bent out of shape when the government thought about laws to enforce truth in packaging that would prevent the words meat being used on packages of vegan meat substitute products?

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Lol.
“I don’t dig on swine, that’s all.”
Beef every now and then.
Adding swine would just ruin what little authenticity that was left, when ordering fast food Schwarma that is.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: MrRCflying

Yes I have tried the impossible whopper.
I enjoyed it. Maybe you got a bad one.
Happens with the regular whoppers too, sometimes you get one that was under the warmer way too long.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: recrisp
Just order a cheeseburger without the cheese, no ham involved, that fixes that!

Yeah almost all places say Burger and have for years.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: spacedoubt

Yeah, but a shawarma Whopper is at least honest about what it is and culturally appropriate. A hamburger is a hamburger because that's the name of the place where the sandwich was made and on that score it is a perfectly logical and appropriate name just like Limberberger is the right name for the cheese.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Why does it bother you that a company wants to assure people that may not know the origins?

Is it more about who is being assured?
The quarter pounder was invented in the United States.
But, to leverage the movie pulp fiction again. The metric system has an effect on its name, in other places.

I personally think all the hub bub is more about who it’s being marketed to. Am I wrong about this?

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Dr UAE

You could have asked.

Guess we'll all just change our languages for you guys then.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: spacedoubt

Lol.
“I don’t dig on swine, that’s all.”
Beef every now and then.
Adding swine would just ruin what little authenticity that was left, when ordering fast food Schwarma that is.

One huge advantage to being primarily Scandinavian & Slavic is the simple fact that nothing swimming, flying, or walking God's green Earth is off limits food wise. Hell, I will and have eaten horse when it has been properly prepared.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I will and have eaten horse when it has been properly prepared.

I ate horse in Japan. It was delicious.

Doubt I could eat dog or cat, though, just because of the "what it is" factor.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: spacedoubt
I personally think all the hub bub is more about who it’s being marketed to. Am I wrong about this?

You're not exactly wrong where I'm concerned. Wars were fought and won, millions have died, and entire civilizations have been displaced to open the door for the modern world choosing not to placate or pander to Islamic cultural demands... yet here we are, placating and pandering more than ever before in recorded history. Placation just for placation's sake or in the name of some tenuous, fleeting concept of "modern enlightenment" strikes me as being very much like whistling past the graveyard where a culture that has routinely battled us when we've let our guard down is concerned.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

I will and have eaten horse when it has been properly prepared.

I ate horse in Japan. It was delicious.

Doubt I could eat dog or cat, though, just because of the "what it is" factor.

I ate dog without knowing it until long after the fact (and after eating it repeatedly). A burrito shop in my hometown sold burritos out of a chuck wagon at the high school. They were delicious. The following summer, the owner was brought up on charges of selling dog meat in his cooking. He denied that he'd ever sold them to students and claimed he only served the dog meat burritos to the migrant workers that lined up outside his shop every morning to buy food for their workdays, but I have my doubts. The meat was always just a bit on the stringy side (though, as I said, delicious).

I've eaten and enjoyed mountain lion, so I reckon I can say with zero doubt that I've had cat. It's not bad, but it's definitely a meat that benefits from pressure cooking low and slow with some salt pork or other fat source added into the mix.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Pizza Yurt coming soon

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

McDinar's presents: The Big Mecca...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join