It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burger King Caves To PC Culture Takes The Word ‘Ham’ Out of ‘Hamburger’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   
You know that PC culture has gained a strong foothold in some parts of the world, when a burger chain decides to remove the word "ham" from the word "hamburger." How much sillier can this get?

Burger King in South Africa is dropping the word "ham" from its menu, after adding bacon at some of its stores, in order to be respectful of Muslim customers.

"It is just to be super-sensitive to perceptions, and to be super clear," he said.

www.businessinsider.co.za...

The word "ham" is not a reference to pork, but rather for the place where hamburger patties were first introduced, Hamburg, Germany. Hamburgers don't even contain pork, so why the name change? Isn't ironic that the founder of Islam has the word "ham" in it too?

Trigger warnings, safe spaces and sensitivity training. Is this world slowly turning into a bunch of spineless, oversensitive wimps?

1. It was declared “cultural appropriation” for a white woman to wear hoop earrings.
2. Berkeley students claimed they did not have enough “privilege” to take their exam in class.
3. Evergreen State College told professors to take students’ feelings into account when grading them.
4. Certain kinds of eyebrows were deemed “cultural appropriation.”
5. The size of chairs was declared a “microaggression.”
6. A city councilman was concerned that hosing poop-covered sidewalks might be culturally insensitive.
7. The University of Arizona hired students to tattle on each other.
8. A British student union tried to ban clapping and cheering because it was not inclusive to deaf people.
9. Expecting people to be on time was declared “culturally insensitive.”
10. Authors were hiring “sensitivity readers” to problematic-proof their novels.

LINK

Throughout several US councils and organisations, any terms using the word 'man' as a prefix or suffix have been ruled as not being politically correct. 'Manhole' is now referred to as a 'utility' or 'maintenance' hole.

Loveable cartoon rogue Dennis the Menace has been given a politically correct make over. BBC chiefs decided to take away his edge in the remake. Gone are his bombs, catapult, water pistol and pea shooter - and in their place is a simple boyish grin.

A school in Seattle renamed its Easter eggs 'spring spheres' to avoid causing offence to people who did not celebrate Easter.

A UK council has banned the term 'brainstorming' – and replaced it with 'thought showers', as local lawmakers thought the term may offend epileptics.

In 2007, Santa Clauses in Sydney, Australia, were banned from saying 'Ho Ho Ho'. Their employer, the recruitment firm Westaff (that supplies hundreds of Santas across Australia), allegedly told all trainees that 'ho ho ho' could frighten children, and be derogatory to women. Why ? Because 'Ho Ho Ho' is too close to the American (not Australian, mind you) slang for prostitute.

US schools now have a 'holiday tree' every at Christmas, rather than a Christmas tree.

LINK

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   
just shut the country off

just flip the switch

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Not really that surprised considering it's SA. I'm actually kinda surprised they didn't kick the company out of the country for being colonial Invaders.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

This isn't new at all.

When I was working over in SE Asia in the mid-90's MacDonald's called all their hamburgers "Beefburgers" so as not to offend the Muslim culture which was about 40% of the population there. Same with all the other food outlets, restaurants and grocery stores.

In fact, in the grocery stores they actually had a separate section to sell pork (i.e. 'ham') which was physically separate from the rest of the store. When you checked out the check-out girl would push your pork over the scanner with a stick and you had to put it in the bag (they wouldn't touch it).

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny
The word "ham" is not a reference to pork, but rather for the place where hamburger patties were first introduced, Hamburg, Germany. Hamburgers don't even contain pork, so why the name change?

That is exactly what I was going to write. Greetings from here

This is all not new to us. A pharmacy store was pressured to change their name from "Mohrenapotheke" by some overly sensitive people. The word "Mohr" is an old Word used to describe black skinned people by those who were not used to them. A "Mohr" is a swampy area with black earth.

It had nothing to do with racism but the history of the place and I think some recipes used derived from their knowledge. So a good thing, honored their heritage kind of way by naming the store like that. But no, people complain...
edit on 11-9-2019 by Oleandra88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Pander to Muslims..

Erase the cultural origin of the Hamburg steak.

Next on the list, the Frankfurter...because 'Frank' sounds too much like the name of an elitist white male chauvinist homophobe animal abuser.

edit on 11-9-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Believe me I get where you are coming from, my husband is going around and around on a regulatory thing to a country of Muslim origin over a certain component of a vaccine. It does indeed get that sensitive.
edit on 11-9-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Oleandra88

Don't worry. As soon as Muslims take over Germany, that name will be changed to cease its offense. Muslims don't care about the non-Muslim history of a place anyhow. Look at how quick they are to destroy things like the giant Buddhas and to desecrate the cemeteries of other religions once they have control.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
I will say it like this: Reflecting my own observations, I can not disagree with you.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Nvm...saw the answer above.

edit on 9/11/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   
This is silly, blaming this change on PC culture. Could it just be a simple marketing decision, to take the word ham out of a food product that many people would not want to try because of that word? Why make a big deal over this, conflating it into a vast conspiracy.

I've often wondered myself over the years why a burger is called a hamburger when there is no ham in it. Do we claim political correctness when some chains sell, instead of a ''hamburger'' a ''beefburger'' Could it just be honesty in labeling to draw more customers?

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Yes, sir.

Named for Hamburg, Germany, but was referred to as 'Hamburg steak' before it became a popular American staple served on a bun.

Hamburg steak is a patty of ground beef. It is similar to the Salisbury steak. Made popular worldwide by migrating Germans, it became a mainstream dish around the start of the 19th century.

The term hamburger steak was replaced by hamburger by 1930...

en.wikipedia.org...

Edit: apologies in advance if your real name is Frank

edit on 11-9-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   

The word "ham" is not a reference to pork, but rather for the place where hamburger patties were first introduced, Hamburg, Germany. Hamburgers don't even contain pork, so why the name change? Isn't ironic that the founder of Islam has the word "ham" in it too?

well as a Muslim i had an issue with the word ham, because us and the Jews do not eat ham or pork what ever you call it, we did not know what kind of meat was being used therefore didnt want to make a bad move and eat what is forbidden in my religion, so dont take it personally and be offended, its just our way of life and does not affect yours.

personally i always want to know what im buying or eating and where its coming from, its my way of life to make sure that im on the right track, the track that i made for myself.

we as Muslims are even given the green light to eat what ever has been botched by the people of the book ( Jews and Christians ) and its mentioned in the Quran, as long as its not pork.

therefore i dont see it as a political correctness rather than clarification to those who wants to know.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I did not know this.

When I was a kid I know we always used to get 'hamburger' which was half ground pork and half ground beef, and that's where I thought the name "hamburger" came from. Some of it used to have lamb in it too. Hmmmph...learned something. I guess it makes sense when you look at it in the context of Salisbury Steak though.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Yikes
Don’t be triggered by a marketing/capitalistic move.
You can still call them hamburgers at your home.

I once had a hamborger at a star trek themed restaurant in Las Vegas. I was not assimilated.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Just order a cheeseburger without the cheese, no ham involved, that fixes that!

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Simple solution, don't go to Burger King anymore. To those that say it's a marketing technique. Why would they change a marketing strategy to appease 1.1% of the US population?

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Burger King never really called much on their menu "ham" burgers anyway.

They had Whoppers, Bacon Kings, Jr. Whoppers, etc.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 03:38 PM
link   

California will probably ban McDonald's as a hate crime pretty soon...

It will now be called Mc's so as to not offended people by using the name Donald.....

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Check out "sandwich" next.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join