It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judges rule Boris Proroguing Parliament is unlawful

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Tortuga

HaHa, C U Next Tuesday is an apt description for Boris.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

What did the ballot form say?

Do you wish to *REMAIN* in the EU

OR

Do you wish to *LEAVE* the EU

Simple *REMAIN* OR *LEAVE* ?......the MAJORITY voted to LEAVE.......

Where was A DEAL or any other thing else ever mentioned

Its time the remainers accepted the result of the majority!!

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

A deal was mentioned all throughout the VoteLeave website but we've been through all of that.

My question to you would be then, where was a deal not mentioned?

Who said we will leave, with no deal, we will just rip the UK right out of the EU?

And what does that have to do with the ruling of the courts today.
edit on 11-9-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

What did the ballot form say?

Do you wish to *REMAIN* in the EU

OR

Do you wish to *LEAVE* the EU

Simple *REMAIN* OR *LEAVE* ?......the MAJORITY voted to LEAVE.......

Where was A DEAL or any other thing else ever mentioned

Its time the remainers accepted the result of the majority!!

The problem was that many flavours of Brexit were offered by various factions. I don't think it is unreasonable to put deal or no deal to the public so they can make an informed decision based on facts rather than fiction. If leave is as popular as is leavers say then there is nothing to fear of a confirmatory vote.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly
To me it seems like a game being played. They are trying everything to stop the UK from leaving EU. Its hypocritical. They are pretending they want what's best for the people by preventing "no deal" exit, while they perfectly well know that there will be no agreement on the deal by either sides. Its a huge political theater.

The end goal is to prolong this torture as much as possible in hopes that the Brexit will eventually fail, and the decision is reversed...somehow. They want to bring this situation to a stale mate where it would be easier to dismantle it and finally...remain. Then there will be a swath of resignations towards a "deserved" pension.

Hotel KaliforEU .... You can book in but never LEAVE

Its a joke you can serve less time for murder......

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:05 AM
link   

You might be right.....but its always been my understanding that Scottish Law, under which this ruling was made, is completely separate to English and UK Law and as such the ruling carries no legal weight.
I could easily be wrong on this.

There's never a bloody lawyer around when you need one.....where the hell is carpy? I know its not his speciality but he'll certainly have a better understanding of this than us bar room lawyers.

One things certain, its just yet another example of how #ed up this whole thing is!

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:06 AM
link   
It's a very bad idea to run a country by judicial fiat.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:07 AM
link   
You're repeating more propaganda:

we will just rip the UK right out of the EU?

There's no ripping or tearing or blasting or booming.

There are jobs going at the BBC I hear... ... ...

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Hmm, sounds to me like they are court shopping like the Democrats do in the US to undermine what people voted for. I could be wrong since I don't know the first thing about European politics, but that's what I took away from it.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

So I was listening to a lawyer on the news earlier on saying that the Scottish court does have jurisdiction over Westminster under the principle of a nation of equals so given that this is the highest court in the land that has made the ruling then the legal position would be that right now proroguing was illegal.

The government want to appeal this in the Supreme Court so they are not going to appeal to the Scottish courts but rather just appeal this with the case that is going to be heard in the supreme Court on Tuesday.

But yeah we're #ed.

Most are saying that if the Supreme Court rule it was illegal (which seems highly likely) then Boris would have to resign.

So what the hell happens then?

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad
Yes, and if you look through Twitter you will find calls to "ImpeachJohnson". In other words, they are fairly blatantly looking at what the Democrats have been doing and saying "Yeah, we could try that".

link   

Hotel KaliforEU .... You can book in but never LEAVE

LOL...good one

link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
Hmm, sounds to me like they are court shopping like the Democrats do in the US to undermine what people voted for. I could be wrong since I don't know the first thing about European politics, but that's what I took away from it.

Courts in the UK are apolitical and even the government have came out in the aftermath of this ruling to say that while they disagree and will await the ruling of the Supreme Court that they respect the Scottish Courts and do not believe this was a politically bias act.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

The most incredulous thing is those people who are doing absolutely everything possible to overturn a democratic ballot are trying to justify it by saying they are doing it in the name of democracy.....the sheer arrogance and ignorance is beyond words.

To a certain extent I can understand the Scots, they voted to Remain - then again only a couple of years earlier they voted to stay in the United Kingdom knowing full well what that entailed - but its the sheer audacity and arrogance of the Remainers, especially the politicians, academics etc who pompously assume that they are more well informed or qualified to know what the British people 'really want' and what is in their 'best interests'.

I really didn't want to star playing the blame game....but it's very hard not to.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: RexKramerPRT

The problem was that many flavours of Brexit were offered by various factions. I don't think it is unreasonable to put deal or no deal to the public so they can make an informed decision based on facts rather than fiction. If leave is as popular as is leavers say then there is nothing to fear of a confirmatory vote.

Where's the democracy in a re vote?

Do you think those who wished to leave dont know how to make an informed

decision? .......Patronising much?

Also patronising to think that only stupid leavers would change their minds I

personally think it would be the other way around......but hey! what do I know

just another stupid leaver.

edit on 11-9-2019 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

to me it sounds almost identical. With, identical actors. Like some sort of weird Deja Vu going on.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Where's the democracy in a re vote?

Where is the democracy in unlawfully proroguing parliament to silence a democratically elected sovereign parliament?

Lets keep this on topic eh

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:20 AM
link   
It's currently 1-1, the other case in London ruled it to be lawful.

Only Supreme Court can change a legal precedent.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   

So, did I misunderstand or, the process of proroguing is not suspect, but the motive for it is on trial...right ?

your quote says...

improper purpose

That's stretching it a bit, isnt it ? If Im informed well, the PM was within his legal rights, and it's actually a routine in UK politics ?

edit on 11-9-2019 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
It's currently 1-1, the other case in London ruled it to be lawful.

Only Supreme Court can change a legal precedent.

Actually its not the Scottish Court is at a higher level, unless the Supreme Court overturn this or reach a different finding which is looking unlikely then the prorogation of parliament was illegal. As it stands right now the legal position is that Boris's advice to the Queen was unlawful.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join