It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judges rule Boris Proroguing Parliament is unlawful

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Nobody wants no-deal other than a handful of hard line Brexit supporters.

I wont pretend I know what's best for your country. I dont. Certainly, duties taken on should be fulfilled. Dues payed and such. But the EU is being a baby about the whole thing, and are starting to push more people (non hard line) towards no deal.

I think though thats getting further away from the topic of the current ruling in the courts.

We are loosely on topic.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Aye but the English courts have a difference of opinion, and Boris is in Westminster.

Same old our opinion doesn't count for crap, quite simple.

Not really right now the Scottish court is the highest court in the land to rule on this and therefore that is what directs the legal opinion. It's going to go to the Supreme Court who are going to rule on that appeal as part of the legal challenge that is already going through the Court to be held next Tuesday.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: RexKramerPRT

The problem was that many flavours of Brexit were offered by various factions. I don't think it is unreasonable to put deal or no deal to the public so they can make an informed decision based on facts rather than fiction. If leave is as popular as is leavers say then there is nothing to fear of a confirmatory vote.

You mean they didn't realise the horse had bolted before they had closed

the barn door?

I feel it very unreasonable to change the rules after the game has started

just because the other team shows signs of winning.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Aye but the English courts have a difference of opinion, and Boris is in Westminster.

Same old our opinion doesn't count for crap, quite simple.

Scottish Criminal Law usually applies to both England and Wales also (or can be used), with Civil Law it can be different. A decision made in the Scottish Supreme Court would generally be binding for both England and Wales unless over turned in the UK Supreme Court (England) - although this doesn't seem to happen that often.

In other words, this is legally binding until the UK Supreme Court decides otherwise. However, it could be ignored for a while if the UK Supreme Court is due to consider the case.

So no, it doesn't mean your opinion accounts for crap, it is actually far from that.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

If they don't want no deal, then frankly they need to get off their arses and realise that for any deal to be possible, compromise is needed all round.

This

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   

The highest court in our land maybe.

But Boris dont give a rats arse what Scottish courts say any more than Westminster which is plainly evident.

What side do you see the Supreme Court landing?

My bet is they will deem it to be a political matter and not court business.

Palpable division not only between our people but now our courts???

Not good.

edit on 11-9-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

The highest court in our land maybe.

But Boris dont give a rats arse what Scottish courts say any more than Westminster which is plainly evident.

He might not give a rats ass what they have to say but the Scottish courts have jurisdiction in Westminster in accordance with the nations of equals principle.

What side do you see the Supreme Court landing?

Pretty sure they will side with the Scottish judges, once the yellow hammer documents all come out I think its going to be even more embarrassing for the government
edit on 11-9-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Aspie

. All this to detract from the fact that they are useless at running the scottish economy

As a matter of fact, the SNP is very good at running Scotland in every department. As for running the economy, England has a hold over most of our powers of taxation. we'll all the big ones, they graciously allow us the power to use the little #ty. ones.

Once Scotland becomes independent we will show your precious England how a country should be run and how it's people should be treated.

Siol nan Gaidheal

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   
The reasons the high court in London rejected this last week have just been released and they comprehensively demolish this case in withering terms.

The purpose of prorogation is not confined to preparations for the Queen’s speech but may be used for a number of different reasons, which may, depending on the facts and circumstances, extend to obtaining a political advantage. Even if prorogation must be justified as being to enable preparations for the Queen’s speech, the decision is not something the court can judge by any measurable standard.

edit on 11-9-2019 by Tortuga because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Pretty sure they will side with the Scottish judges.

But isnt this issue already dead now ?

Why is it important, since he didnt succeed with his plan ?

What am I missing ? For the sake of precedent ?

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Ile hope in one hand and crap in the other OtherSideOfTheCoin.

See which one fills up first eh?

Because If this entire mess is anything to go by, i don't really expect the courts to fair any better than the politicians.

Im simply not pretty sure of anything any longer where Boris nor Brexit is concerned.

Certainly, i hope they side with Scottish courts ruling all the same.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Once Scotland becomes independent

But you rejected that chance, no ?

Hoping for another try ?

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

Nobody wants no-deal other than a handful of hard line Brexit supporters.

I think though thats getting further away from the topic of the current ruling in the courts.

Utter nonsense.

Within the past two months, four polls have asked people if they are for or against leaving without a deal. Despite differences in the wording of the questions, the results are remarkably consistent. Slightly more people say they are opposed to leaving without a deal than state they are in favour.

www.bbc.co.uk...

"nobody wants a deal other than hard line Brexit supporters' is the kind of propaganda that is needed to justify the actions of Remainers.

A minoirty of the UK is opposed to a no deal according to the last 4 polls.
A minority of the UK supports no deal.
About 20% don't know or don't care.

I suspect that if people were asked whether they were in favour of tying our PMs hands behind his back with not even an option of a no deal to be used as leverage to get a deal, you'd find that minority of 44% tumbling significantly
edit on 11/9/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian
a reply to: eletheia
Even as a Remainer i have always been against a second referendum but i am actually coming round to the idea as our politicians from all sides have roundly failed at every stage of the Brexit process.

Were all remainers like you we wouldn't have a problem!

Where i disagree with some pushing for a 2nd referendum (like Tom Watson) is that i don't believe stay should be an option if it goes ahead - that vote has already been lost. Instead, it should be used to give our MP's an indication of the type of deal most favoured - if a huge amount don't want a no deal Brexit then that should not be in the negotiating process. Equally though, if it turns out that there isn't much public opposition to No Deal then MP's should drop there resistance to it.

Problem with that is the politicians of all colours are against the UK leaving

the EU and are looking for ways (DEALS) which will keep us tied in one way

or another to the EU for eternity ...... That was the three nearly four times

rejected May deal?

The last I heard was another referendum would be DEAL or REMAIN There

is no choice there they are one and the same in different wrapping

It has got to the stage though where i don't really see any alternative to another referendum. Which is a sad indictment of our political class.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tortuga
The reasons the high court in London rejected this last week have just been released and they comprehensively demolish this case in withering terms.

The purpose of prorogation is not confined to preparations for the Queen’s speech but may be used for a number of different reasons, which may, depending on the facts and circumstances, extend to obtaining a political advantage. Even if prorogation must be justified as being to enable preparations for the Queen’s speech, the decision is not something the court can judge by any measurable standard.

Sounds about right. To my knowledge there is no law setting requirements for prorogation. Hence the question as to why the Government felt like prorogating are completley irrelvant. 'Everything which is not forbidden is allowed' is a guiding principle in English law and should apply here.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   

We did not vote to remain in the UK only to depart the EU.

Hoping for another try indeed.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   

We did not vote to remain in the UK only to depart the EU.

Hoping for another try indeed.

I'm with you on that - really hope that Scotland leave the UK. Very little contributed.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Long time no see.

Once Scotland becomes independent we will show your precious England how a country should be run and how it's people should be treated.

Please give me one good reason why your set of bastards should be any different and better than our set of bastards or the bastards who run any other country?

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   

I'm with you on that - really hope that Scotland leave the UK. Very little contributed.

We contribute more tax per head than England, NI and Wales. That is a fact.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

I don't know about that, 300 odd years being quite the contribution and then some.

Scotland will be just fine without Westminster in tow, then again so will Ireland.

I really hope Boris ends up dubbed with Robinson so we can see whos the top but im not getting my hopes up.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join