It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judges rule Boris Proroguing Parliament is unlawful

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin
What are you going on about? I never said John Major was part of the SNP.

John Major is siding with Gina Miller(a George Soros puppet) in a separate case to try and get prorougation stopped. The same John Major who when he was Prime Minister prorouged parliament himself to stop the cash for questions debate

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 05:51 AM
link   
So just watching an interesting interview with one the MPs who is also a QC involved in the case.

Apparently the governments lawyers could have had the ruling suspended but that they have not done this and that makes it more likely that parliament could be recalled.

This technically means that the act of proroguing itself was unlawful, there is no need for the courts to order parliament to be recalled or the prorogation to be cancelled because in their view it was never legally prorogued in the first place and their ruling invalidates the very act of proroguing.

They are also saying it is very significant that all three judges independently came to the same decision and it looks like the government won't even bother to appeal it but rather await the judgement of the Supreme Court.

Furthermore this also means that Boris not only miss-lead the Parliament, the public but also the Queen.

Apparently word from number 10 is that they are not going to recall right now despite all of this and await the judgement of the Supreme Court that is expected next week.

This whole thing is #ing nuts, the former Conservative AG is on the news right now basically saying that Boris is screwed.
edit on 11-9-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Proroguing Parliament may indeed be unlawful and to dismiss this ruling in such a casual and disdainful manner shows an incredible lack of respect and understanding of the law.

But the fact remains that this ruling has no legal authority and has zero impact on the actual proroguing of Parliament.

I understand people's concerns about the misuse of power but for me this is just further proof of how out of touch and unfit for purpose our current Parliamentary system is.

It will be interesting if The Supreme Court rules in the same fashion.....a conversation for next week methinks.

Its easy to point fingers and to apportion blame for this ongoing farce but the truth is if Remainers had simply accepted the result of a democratically held ballot instead of doing everything possible to derail, dilute and overturn the result we wouldn't be in this situation.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Ha Ha, a foreign judge wants to jail a head of state operating under executive privilege? Ha Ha. Good luck with that. Scotland should be more concerned with Scotland. I would expect a judge to know the law a bit better than that. ha ha.

That stuff is almost as funny as storm area 51.
edit on 11-9-2019 by kwakakev because: added last sentence

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

But the fact remains that this ruling has no legal authority and has zero impact on the actual proroguing of Parliament.

I hate to tell you this but it does.

The Scottish Court is currently the highest court in the land to pass a ruling on this so until (if) the Supreme Court overrule then this is the current ruling.

That means that right now the legal position throughout the UK (Principle of all nations being equal) is that the advice given to the Queen was unlawful and therefore the act of prorogation was unlawful. Basically this means that parliament could sit today. Doesn't look like thats going to happen but its possible.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev

Ha Ha, a foreign judge wants to jail a head of state operating under executive privilege?

This entire sentence demonstrates you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

The Scottish judges are not foreign (three of them by the way).

They are not calling for Boris to be punished for this in anyway.

Boris is not the head of state.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Aspie

What are you going on about? I never said John Major was part of the SNP.

I am not saying you are, I am saying that you are wrong to say that this is just the actions of a group of "rabble rousing SNP MPs" this was a cross-party effort

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:03 AM
link   

I have seen the shenanigans started since the EU was formed. Yeah I know I am dumb at times, but this is a good laugh.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: kwakakev
Ha Ha, a foreign judge wants to jail a head of state operating under executive privilege? Ha Ha. Good luck with that. Scotland should be more concerned with Scotland. I would expect a judge to know the law a bit better than that. ha ha.

That stuff is almost as funny as storm area 51.

Foreign, LOL.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
It is not healthy for the courts to get involved in politics. Presumably the Scottish court was chosen for this exercise because the judges had already indicated their willingness to give the "right" political verdict.

Exactly.
It's worrying that we're heading towards the American nightmare of court shopping to get the result wanted.
The higher Scottish court had no substance to their decision - they over ruled a lower court with no new information and made an assumption on the purpose of the prorogation. This is political and a terrible precendent... they've not even ruled that Parliament needs to be reopened, they just wanted to provide a headline.

edit on 11/9/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:23 AM
link   
To me it seems like a game being played. They are trying everything to stop the UK from leaving EU. Its hypocritical. They are pretending they want what's best for the people by preventing "no deal" exit, while they perfectly well know that there will be no agreement on the deal by either sides. Its a huge political theater.

The end goal is to prolong this torture as much as possible in hopes that the Brexit will eventually fail, and the decision is reversed...somehow. They want to bring this situation to a stale mate where it would be easier to dismantle it and finally...remain. Then there will be a swath of resignations towards a "deserved" pension.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly
To me it seems like a game being played. They are trying everything to stop the UK from leaving EU. Its hypocritical. They are pretending they want what's best for the people by preventing "no deal" exit, while they perfectly well know that there will be no agreement on the deal by either sides. Its a huge political theater.

The end goal is to prolong this torture as much as possible in hopes that the Brexit will eventually fail, and the decision is reversed...somehow. They want to bring this situation to a stale mate where it would be easier to dismantle it and finally...remain. Then there will be a swath of resignations towards a "deserved" pension.

Spot on.
The real shame is that some people in our country are cheering on the obstruction of the People's Vote to leave in 2016 AND at the same time pretending that they have the UK's interests at heart. I wonder where we've seen the instigators of all the issues try to claim the moral high ground before? Same tactics.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:27 AM
link   
The Supreme Court (UK) will quite rightly throw this out. Nothing to see here.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

Well said Mario. You hit the nail on the head

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tortuga

I wouldn't be so sure on that. We'll find out on Tuesday.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

The real shame is that some people in our country are cheering on the obstruction of the People's Vote to leave in 2016

They call this obstruction - democracy.

Isn it funny or...something. They bring in a resolution to prevent a no deal exit, and by with it practically shooting the entire country in the foot, and giving EU the upper hand in negotiations. The EU can now legally blackmail the UK until it gets whatever it wants.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:34 AM
link   
The SNP are and always have been a bunch of rabble rousers, since the day they set foot in the House of Liars. They constantly bang on about stopping democracy and cancelling Brexit, they never stop banging on about having another independence referendum. All this to detract from the fact that they are useless at running the scottish economy

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:40 AM
link   

I wouldn't be so sure on that, its possible but it depends what comes out of this, with three Scottish judges making this judgement to go against them would be pretty big.

Also the government is supposed to release further information about the decision to prorogue that they are trying to avoid if that information is released it could give more information to the court to inform a decision.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev

Scotland is part of the UK, an important and valued part.
They are most definitely NOT foreigners!!

I suspect these judges have a very good understanding of Scottish Law.....unlike many here on ATS who obviously have a complete lack of knowledge of the judicial system here in the UK and all its constituent parts.

edit on 11/9/19 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I wouldn't be so sure on that, its possible but it depends what comes out of this, with three Scottish judges making this judgement to go against them would be pretty big.

Also the government is supposed to release further information about the decision to prorogue that they are trying to avoid if that information is released it could give more information to the court to inform a decision.

See you next Tuesday, when it is kicked out.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join