It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Holy Bible is not GOD!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: DustybudzZ
This is kind of a rant...
But the subject matter is religious so I decided to put it in this forum

Why is it that most Christians try to convince people that GOD and Jesus exist by quoting the bible?

First thing I want to point out is that the Holy Bible is not GOD
It was written by MAN

I tend to agree with you on this point. I just can't believe the Bible got the morality of slavery wrong. People who take the Bible as literal truth are suffering from superstitious pareidolia. Like all works about morality and ways of being the Bible is no different in terms of accuracy and completeness. There is no mention of abortion or some future technology that would be considered immoral by a set of standards.

I think the Bible needs to read as metaphor not to be taken out of the historical context in which it was written. The essential message being morality is important. In today's World where atheism and philosophical materialism are the predominately philosophy I think it is important to have a moral compass rooted in divine purpose. Living life in the presence of the belief everything is meaningless, pointless, or simple random chance is not as meaningful as having the delusion of divine purpose.

How can anyone think the words below were not written by men rooted in the history of their lives:

No. 1:St Paul’s advice about whether women are allowed to teach men in church:

“I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.” (1 Timothy 2:12)

No. 2: In this verse, Samuel, one of the early leaders of Israel, orders genocide against a neighbouring people:

“This is what the Lord Almighty says... ‘Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’” (1 Samuel 15:3)

No. 3: A command of Moses:

“Do not allow a sorceress to live.” (Exodus 22:18)

No. 4: The ending of Psalm 137, a psalm which was made into a disco calypso hit by Boney M, is often omitted from readings in church:

“Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us – he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.” (Psalm 137:9)

No. 5: Another blood-curdling tale from the Book of Judges, where an Israelite man is trapped in a house by a hostile crowd, and sends out his concubine to placate them:

“So the man took his concubine and sent her outside to them, and they raped her and abused her throughout the night, and at dawn they let her go. At daybreak the woman went back to the house where her master was staying, fell down at the door and lay there until daylight. When her master got up in the morning and opened the door of the house and stepped out to continue on his way, there lay his concubine, fallen in the doorway of the house, with her hands on the threshold. He said to her, ‘Get up; let’s go.’ But there was no answer. Then the man put her on his donkey and set out for home.” (Judges 19:25-28)

No. 6: St Paul condemns homosexuality in the opening chapter of the Book of Romans:

“In the same way also the men, giving up natural intercourse with women, were consumed with passion for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in their own persons the due penalty for their error.” (Romans 1:27)

No. 7: In this story from the Book of Judges, an Israelite leader, Jephthah, makes a rash vow to God, which has to be carried out:

“And Jephthah made a vow to the Lord, and said, ‘If you will give the Ammonites into my hand, then whoever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return victorious from the Ammonites, shall be the Lord’s, to be offered up by me as a burnt-offering.’ Then Jephthah came to his home at Mizpah; and there was his daughter coming out to meet him with timbrels and with dancing. She was his only child; he had no son or daughter except her. When he saw her, he tore his clothes, and said, ‘Alas, my daughter! You have brought me very low; you have become the cause of great trouble to me. For I have opened my mouth to the Lord, and I cannot take back my vow.’” (Judges 11:30-1, 34-5)

No. 8: The Lord is speaking to Abraham in this story where God commands him to sacrifice his son:

‘Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt-offering on one of the mountains that I shall show you.’ (Genesis 22:2)

No. 9: “Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord.” (Ephesians 5:22)

No. 10: “Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)

For people who idolize the words of the Bible this is not the end of the World. By not idolizing the words of the Bible you open up your mind to a whole world of other teachings that would equally inspire you.

For example, if you were not a Bible snob, you would find value in this native American parable:

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people. He said, "My son, the battle is between two "wolves" inside us all. One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith." The grand son thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: "Which wolf wins?" The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

Or this one on why we should not idolize the words of our bibles:

One day two monks were in a garden arguing subjectivity versus objectivity. The Zen master hearing them arguing approached the two students. The Zen master asked, "that rock over there, does that exist inside your head or outside your head?". One of the monks looked up at the Zen master and replied, "Well, our religious bible tells us that all truth is subjective so that rock over there only exists inside my head." At which point the Zen master replies, "Then it must be pretty heavy all day walking around with that rock in your head!"

For people who idolize the Bible it is like a giant rock in their heads!

edit on 15-8-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined
a reply to: DustybudzZ

So what was created on the first day then?
Are you suggesting he did the same thing twice on 2 different days?

He separated light from darkness on the first day.

He created the sun and moon on the fourth day.

Once again, light doesn't only come from the sun or moon. God/Jesus is light. The Bible tells us that Jesus is also the light of man.

The separation of light and darkness could just be God's way of telling us that He created a barrier between the heavens and the earth so that time and space didn't cross each other. God/Jesus are not bound to this world.

Well your more then entitled to your opinion

I just don't think that's what it's saying

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Really?? Is that in there too???
Don't think so

You might want to go back and read those Bible verses I posted earlier, specifically the ones from John 5:46-47.

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

For people who idolize the words of the Bible this is not the end of the World. By not idolizing the words of the Bible you open up your mind to a whole world of other teachings that would equally inspire you.

Yep, and the Bible warned us where that could lead too. Too many people claiming to be Christians are ignoring it's warnings because they don't think they need to read it.

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   

If you don't think that's what the Bible means, then go research it. Just be sure to use Christian sources to explain it because New Age gurus are going to twist it like Muhammad twisted the Bible into the Quran.

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

I also have noticed it happening. People use the Bible as proof for the existence of God when logically the Bible cannot even be proven to be non-fiction much less accurate. Those who believe in God and in Christ know this and yet still somehow manage to resort to quoting the Bible to prove their points- which proves absolutely nothing- because there is no proof. One can truly believe in talking white rabbits and talking caterpillars and quote passages from Alice In Wonderland as proof that they exist, but quoting a book proves absolutely nothing.

The existence of God and Christ is a matter of FAITH and something that can only be "proven" on an individual basis by what is felt in one's own heart to be true and right. Even witnessing miracles cannot prove their existence for there will always be those who will seek and find worldly explanations to counter Holy ones, thus reinforcing belief is a matter of faith not fact.

While I absolutely DO believe in God and in Christ I logically know that there is no solid proof with which to convince any non-believer. They will only be convinced by their own hearts and minds.

Well said

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   

If you don't think that's what the Bible means, then go research it. Just be sure to use Christian sources to explain it because New Age gurus are going to twist it like Muhammad twisted the Bible into the Quran.

And what did the Vatican do to the bible???

Don't want to talk about that right?

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I just can't believe the Bible got the morality of slavery wrong.

God himself sent the Israelites into slavery in Egypt for disobeying Him. The problem is that people keep getting it wrong and they end up suffering the consequences and want to blame God for it. Everything serves it's own purpose during the times in which they were lived. While the Mosaic laws are a curse to us now, they served their purpose and helped an entire civilization of Israelites to survive during a time when they easily could have been wiped out like other past civilizations.

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   

So, you believe the Vatican has more power than God to pick or preserve the scriptures? You don't give much credit to God's abilities.

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   

So, you believe the Vatican has more power than God to pick or preserve the scriptures? You don't give much credit to God's abilities.

See this is the problem with most "so called Christians"
Quit trying to think for people I have not been rude or tried to speak for anyone but everyone of you so called Christian's so enough of that for everyone lol

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   
All I know is that Jesus and every other great teacher or speaker all taught one thing the same

The golden rule
and above all Love

All that matters when it comes down to it is love
and so called Christian's need to practice what they preach a little more
Stop judging people stop making people feel your better then them just love
Ask anyone out there who they feel looks down on them and judges them and makes them feel unloved
Christians

Its not Jesus GOD or the bible
It's man is the problem

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Only the indoctrinated need to reference a doctrine.

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
True what you see, but the math of the prophecies all coming true should convince anyone.....multi detailed prophecy.....in the headlines

This telling the end from the beginning.....was written down 2250 years ago go figure....

No bible prophecy has ever come to pass except those that have been retro-fitted or reinterpreted to fit the narrative. Excepting of course those prophecies that are so broad they fit almost anything.

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Quit trying to think for people I have not been rude or tried to speak for anyone but everyone of you so called Christian's so enough of that for everyone lol

I wasn't rude to you, but if you want me to be I'll call you a "so called Christian" too. See how that works?

So, answer the question instead of behaving like a hypocrite. Why do you think the Vatican has more power over scriptures than God himself? That's not a "rude" question to ask.

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 01:34 PM
link   

All I know is that Jesus and every other great teacher or speaker all taught one thing the same

The golden rule
and above all Love

Wrong. Jesus taught that He was the WAY, THE TRUTH, and THE LIFE. He commanded believers to love one another, but he said that loving Him was way more important, so you might want to figure out how that works.

Matthew 22:36-37

36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

Matthew 10:37

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   

I wasn't rude to you, but if you want me to be I'll call you a "so called Christian" too. See how that works?

So, answer the question instead of behaving like a hypocrite. Why do you think the Vatican has more power over scriptures than God himself? That's not a "rude" question to ask.

Wouldn't bother me considering the fact I already stated I don't classify myself a Christian...

But a follower of Christ...
and no they are not the same thing in my opinion

And all humans have free will do we not?

So no I do not think GOD would stop man from changing or taking away from the bible

It dose say any man who takes away or changes any word in the scriptures will have his name taken out of the book of life right?

Why would it say that if it wasn't a possibility???

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   

The golden rule
and above all Love

Wrong. Jesus taught that He was the WAY, THE TRUTH, and THE LIFE. He commanded believers to love one another, but he said that loving Him was way more important, so you might want to figure out how that works.

Matthew 22:36-37

36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

Matthew 10:37

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

And I believe all the scriptures you just quoted are man made

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Only the indoctrinated need to reference a doctrine.

Only the delusional believe that perception is reality or that truth is objective/subjective.

edit on 15-8-2019 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 01:43 PM
link   

So no I do not think GOD would stop man from changing or taking away from the bible

Do you think that with ALL of the texts from the Bible that have been accumulated that enough of the message has been watered down to the point of Jesus/God not getting His true message across?

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   

The golden rule
and above all Love

Based on everything you've said up to this point in your thread, you've confirmed that you're really a follower of "every great teacher or speaker" that rings true to you, so you're not an exclusive Jesus follower. Got it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join