It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Active shooter at Walmart in El Paso, TX

page: 49
<< 46  47  48    50  51  52 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: Identified

As I understand it, only (3) of the dead were Latino (and I think (7) of the injured).

So just over 10% of the dead and 25% of the injured were Latino (if accurate). I thought I read this this morning from the president of Mexico.

As I recall, he was talking about Mexican nationals. That doesn't mean those were the only Latinos that were victims. There are plenty of American Latinos.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Thanks. I just went to look this up.
Apparently 3 of the dead were Mexican Nationals and only two others have been identified. They are :

Jordan Anchondo, 25 year old mother of 3.

And

Arturo Benavides

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   

the suspect Crusius was "taken into custody without incident" and without any law enforcement officers firing their weapons, according to El Paso Police Department Sgt. Robert Gomez. He later told investigators he wanted to shoot as many Mexicans as possible, two law enforcement officials told ABC News.

"He was forthcoming with information. He basically didn't hold anything back," El Paso Police Chief Greg Allen said during Sunday's news conference, declining to comment on specifics of what the alleged gunman told investigators.

ABC

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   
We have Media and Politicians who profit and gain from dividing us.

We have an Entertainment industry that glorifies death and violence.

We have the dilution of morality and humanity which manifests everywhere we turn.

We have a medium in which we can be rude, indecent and hurtful to each other with total anonymity.

The vast majority of us can cope, a certain few can't and they sometimes resort to this evil.
edit on 4-8-2019 by Relic88 because: spelling

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   
,7 wounded in drive-by mass shooting in Chicago. Facts not all out yet possibly gang related, Douglas park is a rough area.
The madness had to stop.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

Texas death row info

Average Time on Death Row prior to Execution:

10.87 years

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Well, keep in mind, that average is averaged over a lot of years and a lot has changed in that time.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Ya wow that's a good post about kids playing video games with random 40-50-60+ year old men/women and the conversations can be very violent. You're right, back in the day 8 year old played video games with other 8-9-10 year olds that were their friends

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TheOnlyBilko

i realise it's kind of an 'old fart' thing to say but i think the modern interpretation of 'childhood' pales in comparison to the far simpler and less complicated version i and those of my generation (i grew up in the seventies) experienced. there's no innocence anymore.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Sure, we have some 25 year waits to change it. But, 1 or 2 years isn't normal.

People just like to throw out stuff without basis.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Most people who play violent games are not killers but I find it a bit odd that people can be so obsessed with killing.

Maybe for some killing in a game keeps them from killing in real life. Who knows.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: opethPA

First, I understand where you are coming from, and I don't think you are being unreasonable. However, I do feel like you are not giving exposure to violent FPS enough merit.

In any case, I do agree that people should be responsible for their actions. And, as I have noted, younger generations should be exposed to more reality, not more fantasy. There's no debating this piece of excrement referenced CoD, and he did it in a way which seems to outline his motivations, so there's no argument he was aware of the game, possibly even an active participant.

He was a legal adult, and he should be held accountable for his actions. I suspect he will, and he will be put to death just like Timothy McVeigh was. Good! I think we can both agree on this.

I think the real question here is what things influenced his opinions, what contributing factors in his development shaped the motivations to walk into a Walmart and start murdering people. And there, I believe, is cause for looking at any and all things...including video games.

As it is such a long thread forgive me if I am interpreting your stance incorrectly, but are you suggesting video games which are available in every other nation are somehow responsible, these types and frequency of shootings are not seen in other parts of the world where said games are available, one thing most of these other nations do not have available is.....shhh it may shock some people, access to real firearms.

All nations have teenagers with angst, all nations have Drs prescribing legal drugs, all nations have access to recreational drugs, all nations have these types of games, all nations have political idiots, it appears to be a uniquely American issue unfortunatly. Is there a particular video game which is only available in the US which causes mass murder, if so which one is it?

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Now we're back at blaming the "violent" games and technology for this mess.
Well, you know what?!
Kids play exact the same games all around the world but you won't hear about racial motivated mass shootings in malls around the western world.
I'm anti gun, but I won't blame this tragedy on guns.
I don't think that a gun ban would solve anything.
I think that the problem is more complex.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I'm only up to page 8 in reading this entire thread, but something popped into my head. If all these mass shootings are people that snapped and want to shoot up a bunch of people because of it, why are they shooting average people in places like Walmart? Nobody in Walmart could have done anything to you to impinge upon your life in any serious way, so why take it out on them? It would seem to me that if crazy people are "snapping," wouldn't they be more likely to shoot up the people that are giving them the most (perceived) problems? For instance, here in Illinois they just passed a bunch of new laws that are going to cost us citizens a whole lot more money out of our pockets. They added another .19 cents tax on each gallon of gasoline, upped the fees for driver's licenses and license plates, upped the amount of fine for not wearing your seatbelt, and a whole lot of other new and onerous taxes. All to pay for the crooked Democratic politicians in Chicago. The people imposing these things are the ones you would think would cause people to "snap" and therefore, in their warped brains, would want to shoot. So, why are we not seeing mass shootings in places like government offices, governor's mansions, driver's license facilities, state police headquarters or places like that? I don't recall any mass shooting taking place in a setting such as this. Why is that?

And you never hear of any mass shootings in schools where "elitist" kid's attend, or in country clubs or in Mason organizations and places of that ilk. Why is that?
edit on 4-8-2019 by TrulyColorBlind because: Corrected a misspelled word.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 04:35 PM
link   

That is one the things I am really annoyed about with video game creators. It has become increasingly difficult to find good couch co-op games where kids, or even adults can play a game with friends sitting next to them. I know young kids today who have never played a video game with someone else and the suggestion is completely alien to them.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I grew up before the age of video games.
As a child I would play with friends such games as cops and robbers, cowboys and Indians. We had toy cap guns, toy bows and arrows.
If someone accidentally got hurt, the game stopped or at least paused to check on that kid. In other words we had empathy. We were taught do unto others as you would have done unto you.
If we were found being intentionally mean then we were appropriately punished.

We were also taught to stand up for ourselves. Playground fist fights sometimes happened and it didn't require the police, didn't require news reports or medication. Point being if someone was pushed around, it was acceptable for them to push back and not bottle up a lifetime of anger.

Families ate at the dinner table at night and discussed the days events.
Parents first priority was their children.

Real mental illness was recognized and dealt with, even if it meant institutionalizing those poor people. If was to protect society. Things like anti-social behavior, schizophrenia and such were recognized as dangerous, as they still are.

We had prayer in public, at high school football games and graduations.

These sad and tragic events such as these weekends shootings are results of the modern day culture in America.
Yes these types of things happened in the past, before my time. But not with the frequency and something I cant quite put my finger on is certainly different from then.
Just my $0.02 worth.
Peace everyone.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Identified

That is one the things I am really annoyed about with video game creators. It has become increasingly difficult to find good couch co-op games where kids, or even adults can play a game with friends sitting next to them. I know young kids today who have never played a video game with someone else and the suggestion is completely alien to them.

That's because the big developers are going with the "games as service" model and in order to do that, you have to have an online connection and be playing against a lot of other people.

They want to package in loot boxes to encourage you to pay big bucks for the initial game and then pay $4 to $5 a pop for random chances to have bigger and better weapons or buffs in order to compete so they can milk more out of you.

All they care about is cash and friendly couch co-op game doesn't do much to generate that.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheOnlyBilko

Ya wow that's a good post about kids playing video games with random 40-50-60+ year old men/women and the conversations can be very violent. You're right, back in the day 8 year old played video games with other 8-9-10 year olds that were their friends

Bull#, kids have been playing with adults since the internet was a thing. The problem is putting these shootings in people's faces so that it results in another loose cannon getting an idea or two... I blame the media more than games.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 06:17 PM
link   
From heavy

The unsigned four-page, 2,300-word racist screed, was uploaded to websites 4chan and 8chan just before the August 3 shooting. As reported first by Matt Keys, the FBI confirmed it was looking into the document and knew the time it was created and uploaded.

According to NBC News, the FBI was aware of the document before the shooting, but investigators were not able to find the target of the attacker fast enough.

Link

So the FBI appears to be actively monitoring 4chan and 8chan.

Who would have thought.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

The FBI probably runs both.

new topics

top topics

<< 46  47  48    50  51  52 >>

join