It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Active shooter at Walmart in El Paso, TX

page: 46
<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

You have to be careful about it for sure.

We have the movie Ready Player One and our kiddo likes it a lot. We used it as a teachable moment about being online with strangers. We discussed a lot of that stuff with him while we were watching the movie. And every time we've seen it since, we bring it up.

Husband and I know from experience that different online games have different communities, different flavors, and some will be more hospitable and safer than others in terms of overall friendliness. None are completely safe, but some will be easier to get along in. We plan to delve into that aspect of gaming with our son as time goes on. Thankfully, we have two gaming PCs, so one of us can go into those games alongside him.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

originally posted by: CynConcepts
a reply to: opethPA

The difference in gaming in the past vs nowadays...most are played online now with absolute strangers! It is complete disconnect. In the past, they may have used system links for separation but it is or was all in house. You had actual commaderie with the other players. You were not all alone, especially when the game ended. You had real in your face gaming friends.

That is what is so terribly wrong with the direction of online gaming today! That is the big difference. My family still system links at home. Online play is not allowed. Friends and family have fun. After playing we all discuss the games strategies, victories or frustrations...but we are all together and can appreciate the other players are just as real as ourselves.

Well said..not sure I 100% agree as my experience has been different.

I started with lan parties and loopback gaming (fundamental point of your post) went through leading or being in the Top world wide ranked raid guilds during a period in EQ2 (in some ways opposite of your post) and remain currently playing online games with remote people.

If you haven't gamed that way then go to a gaming convention where guild people are meeting in person for the real time and see how relationships develop outside the gaming world.

I personally don't think that component plays a part in the equation of the world but rather the general approach for Millenials or anyone younger then 25 is substantially different which when coupled with financial strain makes them open to any trigger point.

You made my point though...you actually met up and made real relationships. The reality is that most youth do not meet up at gaming conventions. They don't have the means or ability. Their lives revolve around artificial projections of humanity via social media.

No 'real' relationships are forming, only more isolation and disconnect. Like any addiction, family and friends need to intervene...not be so busy to take notice or assume someone else will step up. Pretending it is not addictive for some is just as bad as going 'meh' not my problem when a drunk jumps in their car to go on another booze run!

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Well, not sure I agree here.

Here's a big difference...in on-line gaming today there is no concrete way to segment different age groups. So you have 7 year olds playing against 50 year olds, and when you listen to the on-line conversations in these games it's definitely not G or even PG rated. They're R rated and beyond. (using movie ratings as a better example) And some of them are extreme in their violent nature. Much of that stuff exposes kids to things they never were exposed to in the past.

When I was a kid we all played with kids our own age. Older kids played games for older kids with kids their own age. And adults usually didn't co-mingle in these kid games (other than on a "game night" kind of thing where it was parents and relatives).

This is a major difference with gaming today and games of the past.

ETA - This also furthers the case for better parenting, but the reality is, I personally know parents and older siblings who let the youngsters play these games even with T and M ratings. Further, the game rating system is not one familiar to many...E, E10, T, M and A. I think this is almost intentionally misleading. Why not G, PG, R and X? Those terms are much more easily recognized.
edit on 8/4/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Texas says they will seek the death penalty for the shooter.

wxow.com... ed-of-killing-20-in-el-paso-s

edit on 842019 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I grew up in the sixties in NYC. We played safe stuff like Tag on rooftops of apartment buildings and spies down in sewers and subway tunnels.
edit on 842019 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Wonder what the motive of the most recent shooter in Dayton is...

LIVE - Dayton, Ohio mass shooting - 9 confirmed dead

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

Wonder what the motive of the most recent shooter in Dayton is..

Kill people and get on the news.

This dude planned on living. He wore body armor. They shot him in the head I guess.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Identified
a reply to: pavil

That page has changed 20 times this morning. And it has changed his Political Affiliation back and forth.

That page is useless for information.

I'm talking at the bottom of the page, not in the bio summary. Has that part been changing?

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Same here, well, not NYC and not tag on rooftops, but we did play 'Army' with BB Guns and 'Smear the Queer' (not PC anymore, but it didn't mean anything bad then).

Still, never felt the urge to go shoot up a Walmart, and I bet you didn't either.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Whats your point?

Its a bull schitte page.

The dudes manifesto spells out what his motives were.
Kill the mexicans that are invading our country.

Now I wonder how he got the impression that there was an invasion? Hmmmmmmmm?

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Nope no urge to shoot people except my brother with a water gun but thats a whole other Sigmund Freud issue. LOL.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Based on the quote provided you are making an assumption that because he didn't do what he lists as a COD fantasy then the opposite of that must also have been a fantasy. 

The twists of logic required to accept the Lt. Gov wasn't purposely misrepresentating this quote is astounding.

Oh well....

What kind of twists of logic does it take for a 21 yr old male to shoot and kill 22 people in a Walmart? Or for a guy in Ohio to put on body armor and walk down the street killing people.

My guess would be mental issues with medications and lack of noticing from family ansd friends. Probably eaisly influenced by things around them.

We will find out more hopefully.

I mean we found out everything why the Vegas Shooter did his rampage right?

Trust the FBI, they aced the Vegas investigation.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Yes, that has been changing as well. I think some folks are getting caught up in editing the summary and forgetting to edit the rest. But is has most definitely said Republican. You can also tell some of the Democratic ones are changes because it sometimes says Democrat instead of Democratic.

In fact right this second I clicked it and days Republican again.
edit on 4-8-2019 by Identified because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Yeah, I hate to be *that* person, but our kid has debuted his worst language from school, not any video game or movie. And he absolutely gets the chance to learn from movies because we have the closed captioning turned on in our house.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

The difference in gaming in the past vs nowadays...most are played online now with absolute strangers! It is complete disconnect. In the past, they may have used system links for separation but it is or was all in house. You had actual commaderie with the other players. You were not all alone, especially when the game ended. You had real in your face gaming friends.

That is what is so terribly wrong with the direction of online gaming today! That is the big difference. My family still system links at home. Online play is not allowed. Friends and family have fun. After playing we all discuss the games strategies, victories or frustrations...but we are all together and can appreciate the other players are just as real as ourselves.

I'm sorry, but this is silly.

The media and many folks on here have twisted breaking news about two mass shootings over this weekend into a debate about how "video games" are the cause of mass shootings.

Um...what?

You might as well blame the freaking Terminator movie franchise for automated self-scanning machines in supermarkets! Come on...
edit on 4-8-2019 by AnakinWayneII because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Whats your point?

Its a bull schitte page.

The dudes manifesto spells out what his motives were.
Kill the mexicans that are invading our country.

My point is : if you are going to change the bio part of that page, why don't you change the part near the bottom where it shows him as a Democrat? Seems Spin 101 to me.

You need to tie up such loose ends if you can. I went on the site but there is a cash wall.

Regardless, eventually such info will come out.

Are you worried that he might actually have been a Democrat who was a white supremacist?

That's never happened before....

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   
So a business full of "Smelly Walmart people"(Read:'Trump supporters') in El Paso, Texas...and a 'Country-Western' bar in Dayton, Ohio.

Aren't these places where a crazed killer would expect to find more potential victims on the Right...rather than the Left?

link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

You are right, it is spelled out in his Manifesto. He read the European white supremists proproganda 'The Great Replacement' which he misperceived, from listening to the bombardment of media and American politicians, that white genocide in America was beginning as proprogandized in that racist book.

link   

Yes, that has been changing as well. I think some folks are getting caught up in editing the summary and forgetting to edit the rest. But is has most definitely said Republican. You can also tell some of the Democratic ones are changes because it sometimes says Democrat instead of Democratic.

In fact right this second I clicked it and days Republican again.

Thank You. I tried on phone to get to that point to see the current report, but it seemed I needed to pay to see. Took it like 5 mins to reach that point.

Technology, ain't it great?

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

originally posted by: olaru12

Based on the quote provided you are making an assumption that because he didn't do what he lists as a COD fantasy then the opposite of that must also have been a fantasy. 

The twists of logic required to accept the Lt. Gov wasn't purposely misrepresentating this quote is astounding.

Oh well....

What kind of twists of logic does it take for a 21 yr old male to shoot and kill 22 people in a Walmart? Or for a guy in Ohio to put on body armor and walk down the street killing people.

My guess would be mental issues with medications and lack of noticing from family ansd friends. Probably eaisly influenced by things around them.

We will find out more hopefully.

I mean we found out everything why the Vegas Shooter did his rampage right?

Trust the FBI, they aced the Vegas investigation.

Yeah, I noticed the sarcasm...

new topics

top topics

<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join