It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Age of Discovery ship found perfectly preserved in Baltic Sea'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Hi peeps,
came across this just now, and thought would interest some here,

from article:

The best preserved shipwreck ever found from the age of Christopher Columbus and Vasco da Gama has been discovered – at the bottom of the Baltic Sea between Sweden and Estonia. The newly discovered Baltic Mary Celeste is also at the heart of a 500 year old maritime mystery. Virtually pristine condition, the vessel has been located by archaeologists at a depth of around more than 120 metres some 100 miles South East of Stockholm. Some 99 percent of the ship is intact – with the masts still standing tall and its two swivel guns in their firing positions. A small tender boat is still sitting on the deck, as is the wooden capstan. Even the bilge pump and elements of the rigging can be seen. The bowsprit and decorated transom stern are also clearly visible.

Although the ship is by far the best preserved vessel ever found from Europe’s Age of Discovery, it is of a Northern European rather than southern European design. However, the size of the ship, the shape of the perfectly preserved bow, the design of the anchors and of the masts and rigging are thought to be very similar to those of Columbus’ two smaller vessels, the Pinta and La Niña which he used along with the larger Santa Maria, to cross the Atlantic and discover America in 1492. The discovery will therefore help maritime archaeologists and historians to understand more fully some of the ship technologies available to Columbus for his great 1492 voyage of discovery.

Independent Article
also
NYT

Not bad for a 500 year old wooden ship!

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Amazing as the sea is usually not kind to wooden vessels.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 05:36 AM
link   
When this ship sailed the seven seas Henry the Seventh was king of England having wrested the crown from Richard the III during the war of the roses.
Charles the eighth was king a very young king of France who eventually stole the future wife of Maximillian Holy Emperor of Rome and went to war with Italy.
The Borgias were ruining Rome with Alexander as Pope.
The bonfire of the vanities was burning brightly for Catholics the world over.

So basically everything on Netflix now was happening live then.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
Amazing as the sea is usually not kind to wooden vessels.

I was wondering about that too so I looked it up.
The Baltic is much less salty than the ocean.

I know boats in the great lakes can be in terrific shape.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I would like to see what they find in the ship. Sunken treasures!

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   
the deep cold water has little bacteria life to chew up the sunken ship- ~ 500 miles west of Latvia/Estonia

a Island National Park about 100 miles SW of Stockholm,
island in Baltic Sea Gotska Sandön a natural preserve, no tourist stuff

edit on rd31156388796023192019 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of pictures of it out there, just the ones in the article.

You'd think with a find like this there would be pictures all over the place! It's a pretty astonishing find!

The historical value this thing might hold is almost unimaginable in the condition it's in.

Wow!

ETA - This is the 2nd wreck which has been found in this same general area which is in remarkable condition. I don't remember what the other one was, but I seem to recall it was a WWII ship or submarine or something. Looked like it sank yesterday. Pretty interesting marine environment.
edit on 7/23/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

CNN of all sources has a YT on the wreck

here: www.msn.com...

the intact remains look like a trim-down Viking Ship & nothing like the Nina or Pinta class ship used by Columbus-to-America

in my excitement...I thought they Discovered something of importance--- What a Buzz Kill IT turned out to be, especially after the original discovery in 2009 -> a decade ago !
edit on rd31156391293623152019 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

Still though, seems like there would be a lot to learn. Not a lot of intact ships from the 1500's laying around.

I thought it was weird too, that they actually found this thing in 2009 and are only just now getting around to see what it was...a decade later!

If someone were to ask me what I thought should be done, I'd be strongly recommending a detailed LIDAR scan of the wreck, and then then a comprehensive 3D computer model made from the point-cloud. From there, a detailed 3D real model could be constructed using 3D printing. But hey, I don' know nuthin'.

top topics

join