It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we have reparations to black folk?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: blueman12

I do believe everyone who was alive when it happened, should pay reparations.

If I find out your great, great, great grandfathers mothers family owed them money they never paid, should you be responsible and pay me? The same thing right? They are long dead, but you are family, right? If not your children or grandchildren should pay me perhaps?
And to go further yet, if paid, then it negates the slavery as they become paid people, who would owe for room and board, clothing and transportation costs....... NO?

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Just taking a guess, it's easy to see that one race without restrictions will do much better than one race with restrictions.

What restrictions would those be exactly? Please inform me, or at least enlighten me on the "restrictions" youve been sold that we have?

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   

It's obvious you aren't.

Did you know that blacks who immigrate here from the Caribbean and Africa do as well as most other new immigrants do regardless of where they are from despite the horrible handicap of black oppression?

In other words, they come here with nothing, work hard, and their children by and large are successful like other first generation children from other immigrant groups even though they are black. How can that be?!

But if black families can move here and succeed within a generation, then there is no reason why resident black families couldn't have done the same, history of oppression or no.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Whatthedoctorordered

Nope, never said how you are anyone should be offended. As ive stated, I'm arguing from the side of pro-reparation a lot. I am myself, against it.

Please consider that. You seem to be missing the point that I am trying to stir a philosophical conversation. Instead, you're getting concerned that i'm projecting some agenda.

Creating an argument is not creating division. I (believe) that my point was presented clearly that I am arguing both ways. And looking to see what others think. How is that creating divide?

Promoting rhetoric? I'm arguing from both sides... And stated it was only my opinion. You do realize that even "equality" has multiple opinionsof what its meaning is. Therefor, even equality has to be argued.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

New immigrants aren't the same as "generations of black families". Two different things. The issue is that black generations have experienced oppression and slavery, causing them to lose out on opportunities to create generational wealth.

Now if you disagree with that, that is fine. However, every response you've given me indicates that you're not really understanding my point of view.

link   
Here is my thoughts on reparations.... like a lawsuit.... we pay you and you never speak of these things again....

link   
dbl post
edit on 2-4-2019 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   

If the country decides to they need to know three things...

1. It will not heal the hurt which as a result of money being involved will suddenly resurface
2. The money budgeted will always need increasing for ever and ever.
3. It will become an industry where certain black Americans who decide to head this makes millions while those at the bottom still get nothing.

ie - It will be just like NZ and the treaty claims

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Hey FYI everybody; I personally do not believe in reparations or racial guilt. I believe we are all born as humans on a blank slate. Some are given advantages through various means, and some are not.
I argue as a devil's advocate, and trying to understand the other side. However, I warn people not to take me too seriously and waste your time with thinking I'm some far-left liberal for you to hate on.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: SanitySearcher
If the country decides to, they need to know three things...
3. It will become an industry where certain black Americans who decide to head this makes millions while those at the bottom still get nothing.

BINGO! The Sharpton-Jackson Bank will only distribute 20% of what it receives from Uncle Sam. The rest will be used for only God knows what.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Yea.. Too often do people play the race card as a way to manipulate the public.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   
My 6x Great Grandfather was in the Union Army and killed in a battle.

I want reparations because my 5x Great Grandfather suffered.

😎

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
My 6x Great Grandfather was in the Union Army and killed in a battle.

...that may have been one of mine responsible. Sorry about that, buy yourself a beer courtesy of me.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: sine.nomine

An your ancestors most likely prospered while blacks were oppressed by laws AFTER slavery ended. I'm not suggesting your generation of ancestors are evil or anything either. But rather that black folk were oppressed through generations after slavery.

Ok, fine. So I owe what? To whom? Reparations!? Get outta here.

ETA: Will history look back on these days saying blacks had every government advantage? Government programs and jobs given for race over skill level? Where are my reparations? The whole thing is a joke. To take responsibility for your life like the rest of us. Grow up.
edit on 2-4-2019 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Not saying you owe anything. Maybe in a utopian society we can address reparations. However, we suffer from debt and corruption to which, IMO, are far more important than the inequalities of the past.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Whatthedoctorordered

Do I really have to inform you on black history and the oppression of blacks? Cause if so, I choose not to do so. I'm not your history teacher....

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

Not saying you owe anything. Maybe in a utopian society we can address reparations. However, we suffer from debt and corruption to which, IMO, are far more important than the inequalities of the past.

Now you're on to something. We're all just folks. There's more going on than just race. This talk about reparations drives a stake between me and my friends. It's infuriating. It's unnecessary. If you need something, just ask; I'm more than happy to help out. However, if government requires race-based reparations, then we have a problem.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   

In a utopian society, no one would need reparations.

Face it, reparations is an institutional admission that people of a certain group do not have the ability to create their own prosperity.

Reparations, is racist.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   

You seem to be missing the point that I am trying to stir a philosophical conversation. Instead, you're getting concerned that i'm projecting some agenda.

except there is no logical philosophical debate for reparations

Creating an argument is not creating division

Because thats exactly what reparations would do.

You do realize that even "equality" has multiple opinionsof what its meaning is. Therefor, even equality has to be argued.

Nno it doesnt.

Equality is equality, there are no stipulations on it.

You still havent answered me, what restrictions would those be exactly on us black folks?

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   

I'm not black, so how does "take responsibility for your life like the rest of us" matter? I have no problem with you disagreeing with reparations, as i do, but you're are coming at me from a clear emotional perspective without having read my full OP.

Have fun hating on me even though I never agreed with reparations. Enjoy!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join