It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we have reparations to black folk?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: sine.nomine

An your ancestors most likely prospered while blacks were oppressed by laws AFTER slavery ended. I'm not suggesting your generation of ancestors are evil or anything either. But rather that black folk were oppressed through generations after slavery.

Fortunately, Republicans managed to overturn the Democrat's Jim Crow and Segregation laws.

So next time you see a Republican, just thank them.

Or even better, start voting for them.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: blueman12

All slaves should get reparations.

Generalities do not address the issue at hand. Most people know that slavery amongst all races existed. However, the particular slavery and continued oppression is beyond any other race in the U.S.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:05 PM
link   

The reason that reparations doesn't extend to other minorities is that their oppression is much smaller and reperations to black folk is already a massive undertaking if enacted.

Alright. So is there a statistic that shows how many former slaves are existing within the U.S.?

Just to cut to the chase here, you realize that every race and nationality at some point has been enslaved, correct?

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:06 PM
link   
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sound about right, yeah?

link   

I do believe everyone who was alive when it happened, should pay reparations.

If I find out your great, great, great grandfathers mothers family owed them money they never paid, should you be responsible and pay me? The same thing right? They are long dead, but you are family, right? If not your children or grandchildren should pay me perhaps?
edit on 4/2/2019 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

link   

And those laws have been gone for how long now? At least a generation.

Most immigrants who come here with nothing manage to lift themselves up and their children are making it work, better off than their parents.

The Chinese also suffered from legal oppression, but look at where they are now.

I would suggest that the problem with the black community is not the generations of oppression but cultural weakness.

Did they suffer as a group? Sure, but so did other ethnic/cultural/religious groups in this country. And the experiences of those other groups in bringing themselves up when the barriers were removed suggests that the damage is not irreparable. Those other groups will not receive reparations. Why? Because they obviously don't need them because they aren't suffering the same cultural malaise African Americans are.

But reparations will not address the cultural malaise.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   
No we should not.

Im black, as I have stated before

All this reparations talk is just political pandering and talking points, ridiculous pandering to the base.

We as black people already have a TON of social programs that are offered EXCLUSIVELY to us, that no one of any other race can take part it. Seems to me like the reparations has already been doled out, and continues to be doled out every year from tax dollars and private funding to these institutions.

Its nonsense, the behavior, the mindset, and the culture of thuggery need to not be enabled anymore by more social programs, that allow those of my particular pigment to rest on their laurels and play victim, instead of having to actually MAKE A CHANGE and have some personal responsibility.

I would even go further as to stop the social programs that enable this as well, its furthering racism, by allowing so many of us to continue blaming whitey, while we get special treatment.

Its like someone handing you a check for the month, for doing nothing, and you spitting in their face and telling them they deserve it because "bad stuff happened to my ancestors that you didnt do"

They wont change behavior unless forced to do so

The toxic rap/thug culture is crippling the black community, and until they are put in a position to make a change it wont happen.

I was raised in chicago, to a single mom, in horrible conditions, but she raised me not to be a victim and not to buy into the bullcrap being spread that I was, or that I was owed something.

My kids are raised the same way, and guess what, they never WILL be victims, no matter what happens they will rise above and they damn sure wont blame someone of a different skin color when bad things do happen.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Yea.. I'm not going to vote republican based on ancient politicians.. One should vote based on each individual's voting record and merit. Not because Democrat's jim crow laws as you stated.

I understand you pointing that out, but things dramatically change each century. You cannot say democrats are the same as back then. And vice versa.

All that does is vilify one side. Just like democrats calling trump supports racist hicks....

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Also, nothing is more insulting than when white people tell us what we need to be offended by, or what we should do politically and socially.

That in itself to many of us, comes off way more racist than anything else going on today, dont treat us like were too stupid to know whats good for us by trying to speak in our stead.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Yes, of course I understand that. I'm simply talking about the U.S. and the treatment of blacks since day 1 to today. The ability to build wealth by blacks has been significantly reduced compared to white folk. That's the issue of reparations. The issue is not that blacks are the only slaves.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:13 PM
link   

The ability to build wealth by blacks has been significantly reduced compared to white folk

And that is complete bullsnip that you have swallowed from whoever you follow politically, or whatever social justice crap youre listening to.

We can build wealth just as easily as anyone else.

In fact, I got into college because of the social programs for blacks that I took advantage of, later in my college years I regretted doing so, because it was much easier for me to get in to the field that I did, than it was for white or even Asian people who did better in school than I did.

So please just stop repeating the BS
edit on 2-4-2019 by Whatthedoctorordered because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Did the Jews who had relatives turned into Slaves by Hitler, get reparations?

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Whatthedoctorordered

Hmm.. I did not tell black folks what to be offended by.. I just have stated, over and over, that black folk have had far less opportunities to build wealth through various forms of oppression and slavery.

I am creating an argument to what the other side is thinking.. Not sure how that is telling you how to be offended or stand politically.

I'm merely presenting the argument of reparations and then my own opinion..
edit on 2-4-2019 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Israel..but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. If we start comparing slavery to all other slaveries in the world without restriction then the arguments fall into a black hole that accomplishes no consensus.
edit on 2-4-2019 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Name me a time in human history when life was fair and then we can discuss reparations.

link   

You are also assuming that most of the wealth white families have is generational. That's also a mistake.

link   

The ability to build wealth by blacks has been significantly reduced compared to white folk. That's the issue of reparations.

I understand your argument, it's not new. That's why I asked previously;

So in fairness to equality, does this extend to any other race?

Why?

Now you talk of reparations, where is that money coming from? The taxpayers of course. What did I, or you do to keep black folks from building wealth?

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   
No. I do not owe a thing to any black person at all. In fact several of them still owe me.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Hmm.. I did not tell black folks what to be offended by.. I just have stated, over and over, that black folk have had far less opportunities to build wealth through various forms of oppression and slavery.

You said many things in your posts on this thread that alude to the fact that we should be offended by certain things or upset.

And again youre wrong, us "black folk" do not have far less opportunities to build wealth, thats victimization propaganda and bullcrap, pushed by those who are trying to pander to the black voting block, and to continue to keep their power by doing so, and make money. IE Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton etc.

Those people are enemies of my brothers and sisters by furthering victimization and making money off of it.

I am creating an argument to what the other side is thinking.. Not sure how that is telling you how to be offended or stand politically.

Thats just the point, creating "sides" , creating division by promoting the rhetoric youre repeating.

There should be no "sides" on equality, and that means putting an end to special treatment.
edit on 2-4-2019 by Whatthedoctorordered because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Sure.. I have no idea how the wealth of white families through generations is verse the wealth of black families through generations. All I can say is that I know oppression played a huge role in that aspect of creating wealth or not.

Just taking a guess, it's easy to see that one race without restrictions will do much better than one race with restrictions. Especially if some of that race has wealth from previous generations, whereas the other race may of had no wealth due to slavery.

Just food for thought. I don't pretend to be a scholar on this.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join