It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Riot" Elevator Button Appears Overnight in CA Dept. Of Tax and Fees Building

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Probably but I would actually think it is even more of a concern should an active shooter get in and then set the button and proceed to systematically traverse each floor gunning folks down. Either way, fire or live fire the folks in there may want to consider alternative exit strategies, maybe keep one of those window safety ladders or note the location of those long fire hoses and be prepared to grab it and the axe to smash a window out and get moving. Of course this is probably only helpful for the 2nd and 3rd floor occupants.

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
a reply to: CaliMayh3m

Wouldn't that be against the fire code?

edit on 20-3-2019 by evc1shop because: spelling

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Hi, 32 year elevator mechanic here.

What dumb ass building manager decide to name a button "riot" ? Could not be a button at all, but just an indicator light to warn people, just like the little fire hat to to warn of a fire. We also have blue code in hospital when staff need to capture an elevator in a hurry.

Now, security for large buildings have a separate panel that displays where each elevator is and are capable of shutting down all or just one elevator. They also have keyswitches for a variety of other functions and options.

Can't recall having seen the riot function, but that doesn't mean it's not available.

Standard procedure would be to lock all the units down.

I will try to find out who installed it and why on my IUEC elevator group .

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Groot

I found this so apparently it's a thing ..

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91

Hmm, usually called security and it is just an indicator, not an actual button.

Now, security would have a keyswitch to activate it.
edit on 20-3-2019 by Groot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   

That's what I was thinking because everyone and anyone would be pushing it just to see what it does , I think the word RIOT is throwing everyone off probably installed to prevent a active shooter from gaining much access to the building. After all it is the Taxes and Fee's building .

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   

That's what I was thinking because everyone and anyone would be pushing it just to see what it does , I think the word RIOT is throwing everyone off probably installed to prevent a active shooter from gaining much access to the building. After all it is the Taxes and Fee's building .

First off, who every authorized that needs to lose their job. Second, if I worked there, I would be looking for a new job. LOL ! Wording is everything !

But I would be very tempted to activate that to freak everyone out !

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 04:09 PM
link   

From CA.gov website:

“California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA) The California Department of Tax and Fee Administration administers California's sales and use, fuel and tobacco taxes, as well as a variety of other taxes and fees that fund specific state programs.”

Sales, use, fuel and tobacco taxes don’t really incite all that much in terms of violent protest.

Personal income tax and business taxes are levied by a completely different state agency in a building several miles from this one.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Glad you showed up! I figured you'd be along soon enough with some good info being as I knew you worked in the field.

I figured it would have been more of an indicator rather than a function available to all passengers of the cars or that it would need a key to activate, otherwise any idiot could cause mayhem just on a whim if they decided to push the button.

The wording is asinine to the nth degree, hopefully whomever approved it will be made well aware of the error in such a decision.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Officials have begun the process of covering up the “RIOT” buttons in state building elevators. The buttons are set to be swapped out by the end of the week with indicator lights that do not have words in them.

The buttons are supposed to light up to alert riders the elevators won’t go to the first floor if there is a security scare, like a riot.

Link

Seems it is to indicate that the elevator will not go to the first floor due to security issue.

A light, not a button.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:29 PM
link   

What?! This makes me kinda angry!! Kinda makes me wanna start a riot.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Preppers...

OMG they SO are! I wonder if they got food and water stockpiled in their above ground bunker? Or weapons? Not much point in having a riot button with no weapons. What if they use a ladder + hammer or rock to break windows?

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

Wouldn't that be against the fire code?

Or how about the fact that it reminds me of Matt Laur and his rape button to automatically close and lock his office door? This is like, a rape button to rape an entire building full of women. Or just a few who are working late one night... Does every person working there, or anyone standing in the elevator, have access to turn this on or off, or is it like the fire control where you need a key?

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Groot

What about to deactivate it if someone wants out? I guess that also requires a key?

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:55 PM
link   

So, if I am to understand you correctly, you mean to tell me that, in your experience, the word "Security" would normally be used rather than "Riot"? Makes sense.

And, furthermore, it would be an indicator that can light up when activated by security guard's key [inside the lift or seperate location?] rather than a button that is operated by the casual user?

I dont know why I said "lift", I mean inside the "elevator"... I think I was trying to show off and attempt to use industry lingo.

Is that...is that a thing? Do you guys just call elevators "lifts"? If not, you should, like, try to start it up. Be like "ok, we gotta go install these 2 lifts over at the Brandenburg Building from Golgo 13, then I'll swing by and drop those documents off for you to sign."

Or, "Man, you gotta get some better lifts in here, with the clients you have? Did you see the XJ-900 series in the brochures I gave you? *phew* Now those are some sweet lifts, bro... #ing # makes my # hard."

Google Translate from French to English: freaking stuff makes my muscles hard (from installing them. they're made out of solid gold!)

Just, you know, try it out. Put your own twist on it. Lemme know if it catches on.

edit on 3/20/2019 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

So, if I am to understand you correctly, you mean to tell me that, in your experience, the word "Security" would normally be used rather than "Riot"? Makes sense.

And, furthermore, it would be an indicator that can light up when activated by security guard's key [inside the lift or seperate location?] rather than a button that is operated by the casual user?

I dont know why I said "lift", I mean inside the "elevator"... I think I was trying to show off and attempt to use industry lingo.

Is that...is that a thing? Do you guys just call elevators "lifts"? If not, you should, like, try to start it up. Be like "ok, we gotta go install these 2 lifts over at the Brandenburg Building from Golgo 13, then I'll swing by and drop those documents off for you to sign."

Or, "Man, you gotta get some better lifts in here, with the clients you have? Did you see the XJ-900 series in the brochures I gave you? *phew* Now those are some sweet lifts, bro... #ing # makes my # hard."

Google Translate from French to English: freaking stuff makes my muscles hard (from installing them. they're made out of solid gold!)

Just, you know, try it out. Put your own twist on it. Lemme know if it catches on.

In Europe , they are called lifts. We, those that work on them , call them cars here in the US. The actual unit you ride in is a cab. It's basically a box. What makes that box moves depends on a variety of things. How tall is the building, how fast you want to go and so on.

The only control the public has on an elevator is to push and call an elevator via a hall button at each floor in the direction they desire, a call button inside the elevator to go to so desired floor. Myself and authorized personnel are the only ones allowed to do anything other than that. I can watch all elevators on a tablet like a video game and make it do what ever I want. So, if you see a elevator guy and ride them, show them respect and don't piss them off.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:15 PM
link   
It's just an indicator to inform that the elevator will not go down to the first floor. I suspect it is to keep the crazies in a security situation from getting in at the ground floor and traveling to other floors.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join