It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Riot" Elevator Button Appears Overnight in CA Dept. Of Tax and Fees Building

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Well this is interesting... it seems that some State workers in California came in to work today and found a shiny new "Riot" button installed in their elevators, seemingly overnight. There was no explanation, no one sent out a memo, and none of the workers knew what the actual function was. Does it start a riot? Does it end a riot? All I know is that they are damn lucky that I dont work there, cause I dont think I could have resisted the urge to press it and find out.

"Riot" button installed in CA State Government Building Elevators

After enough "WTF is this button" emails went around the building someone put out a statement that seemed to indicate that the actual function of the button is to cut off access to the ground floor but allow the elevator to move freely throughout the rest of the building.

What I find far more interesting than the button itself is the building that TPTB chose be among the first to receive the "Riot" button: The California Department of Tax and Fees.

As I'm sure most of us here know, California has among the highest tax rates of any state in the grand ol' Union. Could the bigwigs in charge be afraid that at some point in the near future the citizens of CA are going to rise up and demand that our shackels be removed?

It doesnt take a a degree in Banking to understand that that current level of taxation and government spending is unsustainable. Our children and grandchildren are going to either be burdened by unthinkable tax rates that would convert them from citizens to government slaves, or the economy will collapse. There really isnt a 3rd outcome.

I think the "Riot" button installed in the California Department of Tax and Fees elevators is a pretty good indicator which one of those two outcomes the California government believes is more likely.
edit on 20-3-2019 by CaliMayh3m because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: CaliMayh3m

Preppers...

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Sound about right for that state. Can't afford to clean the human feces off the street, but can afford to install riot buttons in elevators.

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Most rioters will just take the stairs .

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91

Hmmm...

Not going to help when said rioters set fire to the building.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Gotta say, the image of an angry mob armed with pitch forks and torches patiently waiting for an elevator made me chuckle.

The article didnt mention it, but I would assume that along with the riot button they did install or are planning to install some way to barricade the 1st floor stairwell doors.

Or course, this is the Government we are talking about, and lack of planning and poor execution is their claim to fame, so....

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Wouldn't that be against the fire code?

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

Yeah, that's kind of where my thinking goes on this.

Rats cornering themselves with no way to escape.

Riot ensues, targets of riots corner themselves in high rise, rioters have targets in one place...what could go wrong?

Here is the building in Question:

Google Maps
edit on 20-3-2019 by jadedANDcynical because: building and google map link

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

Wouldn't that be against the fire code?

I'm not sure, but I do know that "Do as I say and not as I do" is a motto that should be tatooed across politicians' foreheads, especially when it comes to enriching themselves (Congress is imune to insider trading laws) or protecting themselves (CA has some of the toughest gun laws in the country but Newsom has armed guards).

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   

There was no explanation, no one sent out a memo, and none of the workers knew what the actual function was. Does it start a riot?

Freggin morons.

edit on 20-3-2019 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   

The button is just there anyone could push it at anytime , So there's got to be a main control room to activate it which makes no sense why they would need a button if it can be turned on from another location anyway - This is defiantly for a run and save your ass type of situation "You are on you own" Must be planning on Trumps re-election .

edit on 3/20/2019 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Get away from California while you still can.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Just an observation... But if the ground floor staff were to be subdued and the columns of the building rigged, how does no access from the ground floor protect those in the above floors. Seeing as how eventually the above floors would become the ground floor. Just wondering how this access control helps, other than to buy some additional time to let the panic go to crazy levels, even beyond liberal crazy.

There are multiple ways to defeat security systems and deploy countermeasures. Just takes motivation, imagination and a little technical ability.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

There was no explanation, no one sent out a memo, and none of the workers knew what the actual function was. Does it start a riot?

Freggin morons.

Damn! Neo showed up in my thread! I made it!

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Imagine sitting in the upper story/stories laughing at the angry mob below you.... Until you see the guys setting TNT at every corner.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
a reply to: Mach2

Yeah, that's kind of where my thinking goes on this.

Rats cornering themselves with no way to escape.

Riot ensues, targets of riots corner themselves in high rise, rioters have targets in one place...what could go wrong?

Here is the building in Question:

Google Maps

It's California. Most of the residents there aren't required to think. If they were, it wouldn't be poor in condition and high in crime.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Notice the Helipads on all 3 buildings there ?

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   

a reply to: LSU2018

Notice the Helipads on all 3 buildings there ?

I do now that you mention it, good catch. I guess the rich bigwigs will be able to safely escape...

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   

That building is just three blocks away from the building at 650 Capitol Mall, which houses the US Office of Immigration and Naturalization.

Given the turmoil Immigration and Naturalization policies have stirred up in recent months, it seems entirely reasonable that the management of a State office building, housing hundreds of employees, would take steps to guard the safety of those in their employ.

Why risk having State employees being caught up and possibly injured, through no fault of their own, due to civil disturbances resulting from onerous Federal politics?

Why weren’t the employees informed/aware of the installation?

Most of them never thought to read the pre-installation notice, if one was issued.

As long as the elevators work, most don’t pay any attention to them.

Also possible that, like the regular maintenance schedules, the building management didn’t bother to inform the employees of the “Riot” button installation because it is not intended for use by the employees.

ETA: The Department of Tax and Fees used to known as the State Board of Equalization, which administered business licensing, sales and use taxes, and heard appeals from taxpayers protesting assessments imposed by the State Franchise Tax Board for personal business income taxes.

Following an audit of its practices, the State legislature split the department up into the current Department of Tax and Fees, and a completely separate appeals department.

The Department of Tax and Fees no longer hears protests or decides appeals of tax assessments.
edit on 20-3-2019 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: CaliMayh3m

Gotta say, the image of an angry mob armed with pitch forks and torches patiently waiting for an elevator made me chuckle.

The article didnt mention it, but I would assume that along with the riot button they did install or are planning to install some way to barricade the 1st floor stairwell doors.

Or course, this is the Government we are talking about, and lack of planning and poor execution is their claim to fame, so....

Stairway doors in CA government buildings are typically fireproof doors, as the stairwells are used to shelter in place for those who are disabled and cannot use the stairs to escape.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join