It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Smoking cannabis "doubles mental health risk"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
In the immortal words of Monty Python:

"I got a piece of brain lodged in me head and it hurts!"

too bad i can't type in a cockgney accent.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Besides all that... most of us have survived the late 20th century and the early years of the 21st century; bush minor is president and if we aren't mentally ill by now we certainly deserve to be.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Conditions like depression and anxiety are mostly caused by the huge mix of chemicals that are placed in the food, water, and the personal care products that we use every day.

After doing research on this, I changed my diet and was able to get off of antidepressants after being on them for almost 7 years.

How can anyone measure the level of safety of ANYTHING as long as people are ingesting unsafe toxic chemicals?

It's important to ignore the propaganda being pushed on us, but that gets harder and harder to do when your brain is being fried with MSG everyday of your life? MSG is in more foods than people know because they hide it in other ingredients that appear perfectly safe and natural.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The Numbers look fairly bogus and do not provide us with alot of info. There 70 or 350 Cigs a week it outrageous, and I do not know anyone who could smoke that much and I know some Rastafarian's (the 350 is outrageous)

Bottom line

Nicotine is worse then Pot
Alcohol is worse then Pot
either make it all illegal, or not, be a hypocrite and say the above is ok when it causes more deaths and social issues

What I never have gotten is how can ANY government tell you, you cannot grow a god made plant with no chemical processing etc. How is this legal in any way. You throw a seed down and it grows, how can this be made illegal.

[edit on 27-7-2007 by ShiftTrio]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
What I never have gotten is how can ANY government tell you, you cannot grow a god made plant with no chemical processing etc. How is this legal in any way. You throw a seed down and it grows, how can this be made illegal.

Amen to that!

Its not as outrageous as the classification of '___' though... a chemical every human being has in their brains right now, just waiting to be released upon death/other mystical states.

Or the classification of Shrooms to Class A, despite liberty caps growing natively in the UK, and that making it illegal means people picking their own, potentially wrong, mushrooms.

You and i both know why its all illegal. But thats not the problem. Its getting everyone else who hasn't experienced it to understand why they ARE God given plants, and not drugs.

Sure, people abuse them, but only because life sucks when you've had an enlightening experience.. you realise how bogus the world really is, and how easily it could be changed/made better. People just don't want to leave that state of understanding and love. Fair game i say!

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
*MOD EDIT*... if you are mentally stable to begin with, then you shouldn't have any problems; if however you are unstable mentally then just the littlest amount of anything can set you off. There are of course exceptions but those did seem to be the rule. ... *MOD EDIT to remove personal anecdote*

[edit on 7/27/2007 by Gools]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
There are a few more points on this issue than what people actually realize, and I have made a few of my own research points known about in a previous thread. Specifically this post that deals with the Carcinogenic factors and immunological problems caused by Marijuana (Mental side effects have also been noted in previous studies):

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There have been previous clinical studies that show the use of Marijuana may not specifically be much of an improvement over Tobacco. In fact, the potential production of medical marijuana hits a snag when it comes to this issue, in that it has too many genetic and chemical variances in its makeup to ever be certified by the FDA.

[edit on 27-7-2007 by Jazzerman]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lamagraa
Mod Edit: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

Hey man one daddy to another congrats my friend, a whole new world will be opening up for you soon.

Oh yeah, about the herb...

It will always get a bad rap if there is a polotical agenda to do away with it.

Once our polotics of the world become more realistic to everyday application and less on draconian grandfathering, We will get the truth that cannabis is a miracle time tested wonder plant. It does way more to relieve mental illness, than exascerbate it.

I feel they excluded the data where these people tested had a pre-existing mental condition, or a predisposition for it.

I know I'd be a hell of a lot more crazy if I didn't mediate with the rastafarians 3 or more times daily.

Oh yeah, To any who say it keeps you from being motivated; that is either a choice to "stay lazy" while high, or if you tell a lie over and over again it will generally be accepted as truth, if no one is vocal enough to challenge it.

Liquor has caused me more embarrasment, and more drama, than what herb would ever do. I can function on herb, on liquor I'm a belligerent self centered, jack-ass.

-ADHD

[edit on 27/7/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
There are probably thousands of different ways you can have a higher risk of mental health problems. How about doing a study on how the level of stress at a job puts you at more risk? What about amount of sleep, diet, social issues, and enviornment? What if the people that smoked pot, chose to do so because they had more stress in their lives, and the stress was causing the real problems? You can't take one study at face value for anything. It needs to be thoroughly studied, but hasn't been studied in the US in over 30 years.

I am not doubting that there is a little more risk, after all it is a psychoactive chemical. That does not mean that the problems outweigh the benefits. Can't say the same about the war on drugs can we?

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
There are a great deal of logical errors in this thread, especially towards the beginning. It's true smoking cannabis may double the risk of schizophrenia, but it doesn't give otherwise healthy people schizophrenia ! There is a subtle difference.

What these studies show is IF you have the genetic trait to develop this mental illness, smoking cannabis can hasten the onset. This findings of this study apply to the very small percentage of the population with latent schizophrenia.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   
That's enough...

We've had one thread trashed, and this one is heading down the same road...

Any further posting of personal, use, experiences, or methods will result in swift and severe administrative action.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
ONE MORE TIME!

A Reminder

2e.) Illegal Activity: Discussion of any illegal activities such as drug use, drug paraphernalia, hacking, sexual relations with minors, etc. are strictly forbidden. Terms & Conditions

You may discuss the study and related topics but not personal drug use or other personally incriminating behaviour. Otherwise this thread will also find itself in the trash bin.

FOR CLARITY:

You can discuss the benefits of medical use, the shady "scientific studies", the refer madness scam, the dangers of use, the other industrial uses for the plant, the politics of legalisation and/or prohibition, the conspiracy of the Dupont's and other corps at the turn of last century, the inherent racism that prohibition grew out of, the comparisons with other jurisdictions that tolerate its use, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera... WITHOUT TALKING ABOUT YOUR OWN PERSONAL USE, OR HOW TO USE IT, OR WHY YOU USE IT, OR HOW COOL IT IS TO USE, OR HOW F'ED UP YOU GOT LAST NIGHT, ETC...

Understand?

Last warning about this.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
1. Hallucinogenic? For about 3 years, I was stoned 24/7. Not once did I experience hallucinations unless I dropped acid or ate mushrooms. Nor have any of my friends.

2. I agree with Quango, and some others. As a user of mj (much less frequent now though) and alcohol (also much less frequent), I would have to say that alcohol is much more damaging. Based on what I've seen, drunk people are much more apt to have mood swings, sometime quite violent, and suffer from more impaired thought. With pot, reaction times are slowed, less aggression, if any from what I've seen, and if I ever left the house, I drove like a perfect angel because I was paranoid that I'd get caught. Otherwise, I'd stay home, watch tv, and eat munchies.

3. It's kind of interesting that this would come out after some med marijuana busts in recent news. Nothing like telling those who have been prescribed that they are more likely now to have mental health issues. I personally think it's another scare tactic.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I would say watch who you buy your stuff from as this smells like a bad crop.Ask anybody who works in mental health areas and they will tell you that the majority of people in these institutions are in there because of everyday pressures brought on by society as a whole.Things like health,housing, work pressures etc.
I discovered cannabis a few years back and the only episode i have had was when i was younger and discovered alcohol.
I believe that in younger people that it might pose as a problem but then that is because youngsters do not moderate with what they are taking (mixing substances).
I wish it was legalised because the medications i am meant to have have one by one hospitalised me.That was when i decided enough is enough and turned to self medicate without the use of governmental legal taxed drugs. They are designed supposedly to shorten life and not prolong it.
I know people who have turned psychotic through painkillers (kapake).
Most pharmeceutricals are only tested for a brief time but cannabis has been used for centuries and they still try and find fault.It really doesnt compare to things like h.r.t. which i am meant to take and i guarantee that if i went to the docs (even though i have refused point blank) they will still try to persuade me to have it .

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by joepits

Well when i was schizo I would only hear the voices when I smoked weed and the few days after that. When i quit the drugs for a while it went away.

Perhaps you have an allergy to cannabis? Believe or not I had a friend that was allergic to cannabis, took us a while to figure it out, and for a doctor to confirm it, but it caused many distasteful states for him (but not all the other guys in the smoking group!)

[edit on 27-7-2007 by Cloak and Dagger]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Two out of the last three posters...

Warned and post banned.

[edit on 27/7/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Thread Closed!

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join