Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

SCI/TECH: Smoking cannabis "doubles mental health risk"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Studies in New Zealand have indicated that smoking cannabis can double your risk of developing a mental illness. The study followed 1000 people for 25 years. Mental illnesses such as schizophrenia were much more prevalent in the cannabis population.

news.bbc.co.uk
Smoking cannabis virtually doubles the risk of developing mental illnesses such as schizophrenia, researchers say.
The New Zealand scientists said their study suggested this was probably due to chemical changes in the brain which resulted from smoking the drug.

The study, published in the journal Addiction, followed over 1,000 people born in 1977 for 25 years.

UK mental health campaigners said it was more evidence of a "drug-induced mental health crisis".

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Its not a biggest study, but it does follow the people for some time. The push to legalize marijuana or cannabis seems at best to be a push using pseudo or voodoo science. But hard research is showing that the drug is far from benign.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I don't doubt the findings of this study - THC is oft considered a mild hallucinogenic.

However, I rather firmly believe that alcohol will forever be responsible for ruining more lives than marijuana.

Legalize pot, or outlaw alcohol. Either would make me happy.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:52 AM
link   

after being told my whole life that I was sterle

Things that make you go hmmmmm........

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Voodoo science? What are you on about? There are a number of suppressed studies that show Marijuana has beneficial effects, placebo and otherwise. It relieves symptoms of hundreds of diseases, and may set back the progression of Alzheimers by decades!

I think the problem is that the symptoms attributed to mental illness are in fact symptoms of waking up from a coma induced by a two faced, hypocritcal 'moral' society. Those individuals who smoke cannabis are productive members of society and must not be discriminated against. Once again, I don't doubt the accuracy of the study, I just refuse to accept the current definition of mental illness. Look at the symptoms for crying out loud. They describe NORMAL PEOPLE with NORMAL FEELINGS, now criminalized.

The statutes are in place to lock up those with mental health problems, without the consent of their family, and without due process. That means that Marijuana smokers (since they're now all insane!) can be abused in the same way as the mentally ill. We are becoming a fascist society, and so many of you are rooting for it it's sickening.

Jail terms for Herb Abuse is a ludicrous waste of money and resources. Too much Nutmeg can drive you insane too, does that mean we should lock people up and take away their rights for making the christmas ham? Of course not, it's a food and a fiber, not the devil incarnate.

The federal resources being devoted to chasing down and incarcerating these abusers of garden weeds could be used to secure our borders, but then the government coc aine wouldn't get through, and that is intolerable.

Are our priorities as a society really so far from Reason that any of this makes sense? Why is it that sane men are perceived as madmen? Well, society must be insane, it's the only explanation.

They're talking about legalizing MDMA for PTSD, and that's a 'good' idea? Those soldiers could be smoking all natural THC, grown at the cost of pennies a pound. Of course, then the pharmacuetical companies and chemical companies and oil companies wouldn't get their share of the profits. If it's not clear to people yet, it never will be. The system is based on hypocrisy, lies are truth, the truth is a lie, and if you're not free already, you probably never will be.

A final note; Freedom is meaningless when given, it must be taken.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by quango
I don't doubt the findings of this study - THC is oft considered a mild hallucinogenic.

However, I rather firmly believe that alcohol will forever be responsible for ruining more lives than marijuana.

Legalize pot, or outlaw alcohol. Either would make me happy.

THC is a hallucinogenic, there is no 'oft considered.' It's a powerful psychoactive substance with the power to heal and grant perspective.

I agree that alcohol is responsible for more misery, but responsible alcohol use should never kill anyone. It's abuse that causes problems, just like everything else. If you abused water you would die, simple as that. Rather than outlawing water, which would be ridiculous, you just have to advise people against the harmful behavior ("Don't drink so much Billy, you'll get sick." "Okay mom." Get me?)

It's really quite simple and intuitive.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

THC is a hallucinogenic, there is no 'oft considered.' It's a powerful psychoactive substance with the power to heal and grant perspective.

I agree that alcohol is responsible for more misery, but responsible alcohol use should never kill anyone. It's abuse that causes problems, just like everything else. If you abused water you would die, simple as that. Rather than outlawing water, which would be ridiculous, you just have to advise people against the harmful behavior ("Don't drink so much Billy, you'll get sick." "Okay mom." Get me?)

It's really quite simple and intuitive.

I mention it in the context of this study and others like it - showing all these ill effects as if we're supposed to think we're being protected from this dangerous substance, when alcohol (and I won't even mention cigarettes) are as dangerous, or moreso.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   
i don't get it?
what's the problem with something doubling your mental health? why is it a risk to double your mental health?
i don't get it.
i've been smoking pot for thirty yrs. and i'm not schizophrenic and neither am i.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Marijuana's effect on your fertility is also a myth.

14) Doesn't heavy marijuana use lower the sperm count in males? Not by much, (if at all) and this can be a good thing. It does not make you impotent or sterile. (If it did -- there would be no Rastafarians left!) Give those testicles a rest, already! Marijuana is certainly _not_ birth control, please don't let your lover tell you it is.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by billybob
i don't get it?
what's the problem with something doubling your mental health? why is it a risk to double your mental health?
i don't get it.
i've been smoking pot for thirty yrs. and i'm not schizophrenic and neither am i.

what about the other 30 you's??

and ya I believe this as much as those good adhd drugs are suppost to be a help..

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   

i i've been smoking pot for thirty yrs. and i'm not schizophrenic and neither am i.

It doubles your risk so your odds are much crappier for developing some sort of mental illness later on in life. I imagine that the amount you smoke etc etc also plays into things.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded

what about the other 30 you's??

shhhhhh! he's sleeping! you don't want to be around when he wakes!

i lived in japan for a while. there was a tv celebrity doctor who was my student(i taught conspiracy history to the elite businessmen, okay, i lied. i taught english WITH CAPITALS AND EVERYTHING). this doctor had been taught, and firmly believed that one year of MJ use would make you crazy to the point of running around killing people.
reefer madness, man.
mary jah wanna works as a lock and key. THC connects to special receptors in the brain that seem to have the only purpose of attaching to THC. like a lock and key.
that's why heavy users 'plateau' in their high. the receptors are all full. heavy smokers only smoke to remain on that plateau. stop using for a month or two(which is easy, since it is not addictive) and you can get real high on a skinny joint again.
whatever, though. nobody wants to kNWO about the real world. quote your biased studies and sheltered attitudes. go nuts.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
It doubles your risk so your odds are much crappier for developing some sort of mental illness later on in life. I imagine that the amount you smoke etc etc also plays into things.

I would think, just like '___' and similar drugs, that predisposition to mental illness would be the biggest factor.

Of course, the more times you play with fire...

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

i i've been smoking pot for thirty yrs. and i'm not schizophrenic and neither am i.

Or how much other crap you put into your body. The thing that always gets me about these studies is that they are fatally flawed as there is no good way to tell the entire drug abuse history of a patient. They just look at the Marijuana factor and usually ignore other more plausible factors that could lead to the rise in mental illness amoung Marijuana sufferers, I will list a couple.

1. Descrimination - Yup it can lead to depression due to feelings for "Rejection by society", and depression can lead to Psychotic events, I have seen it with my own eyes it isn't pretty...

2. Previous strong hallucinegenic usage which includes such drugs as: Psilsiben Mushrooms, Acid(AKA '___'), Pyote etc... Most people I know who have smoked pot have at least tried one of the above hallucinigens which have been proven to cause such nasty conditions as Alzheimers, Dementia and schizophrenia.

Of course that is not to say that Marijuana does not cause adverse affects, because it does. I just want to see more studies done thats all.

from the BBC article
They analysed their findings to take into account of the possibility that their illness encouraged people to use more cannabis, rather than the drug contributing to their condition.

What I would like to know is HOW they accounted for the possiblity of other drugs? The article does not specify which makes me suspicious. Does anyone have a link to the actual peer-reviewed article???

Basically my BS detectors are on full alert, it will be interesting to see if anyone comes out to refute these claims through a study of thier own... I find it odd, to say the least that they believe there is a mental health crisis looming, what I want to know, during the 60s when half the population was experimenting where are all those mental health cases? I never heard of a boom... Seems like hype to me.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Not to entirely dismiss the causal implications, but I think some amount of self medication is apparent from anecdotal evidence.

Meaning some people with mental problems already are more likely to become long term smokers.

The one's that say I need it, it calms me, makes things clear, etc.

The vast majority of people experiment in their youth, then move on. No pre-existing mental instability, so no benefit to continue. Not that I'm saying long term pot smokers are unstable, but if they are, they likely were when they started to some extent.

That explains both the touted "benefits" of smoking pot by long term pot smokers and the sheer befuddlement of people listening that couldn't care less.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Self-medication is a real phenomenon, but I have noted many many friends and acquaintances over the years who don't think twice about smoking pot all day, but who, when confronted about taking prescription psychotropic medication, refuse to do so because they don't want to become "drug dependent."

Personally, I am skeptical of these conclusions, even though the researchers maintain they controlled for the self-medication factor. What I want to know is this. Did they interview these people when they were high on marijuana? That might account for some psychotic symptoms, like paranoia.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Overusage of any substance is dangerous. Drink too much milk and you will probably get hurt from that too
Smoke a little now and then and feel fiiine!

Legalize it!

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Studies here..and studies there....

studies tell you what you want to hear a lot of the time...the thing is a far as I knew no country was allowed to experiment with marijuana or do studies with it because of some treaty signed.....

so the real studies of the benifits of dope studies are not allowed to be carried out and instead we have these dreggy studies which are not testing under controlled conditions.....

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Not to entirely dismiss the causal implications, but I think some amount of self medication is apparent from anecdotal evidence.

Meaning some people with mental problems already are more likely to become long term smokers.

The one's that say I need it, it calms me, makes things clear, etc.

The vast majority of people experiment in their youth, then move on. No pre-existing mental instability, so no benefit to continue. Not that I'm saying long term pot smokers are unstable, but if they are, they likely were when they started to some extent.

That explains both the touted "benefits" of smoking pot by long term pot smokers and the sheer befuddlement of people listening that couldn't care less.

I've had the same experience. In my circle of friends, those that were long-term pot smokers and were forced to quit because of random drug testing at work are now the same ones who are on Paxil, Lexapro and/or need to pop Xanax to sleep.

I have one friend that had to stop his nightly chronic when he settled down at 31 and got a steady job with random drug-testing. Within a few months, he was eying window ledges longingly (and it wasn't his job--he was working with supermodels and getting paid tons of money) and began seeing a psychiatrist twice a week. He complains that his meds may have all kinds of "unknown" side effects (he isn't experiencing any) and wants his pot back. Of course, all of my friends remind him what he was like when he was toking up everynight--forgetful, unreliable, and moody. Even if his firm didn't discover his drug use, they would have fired him for being a marshmallow.

But marijuana does have positive effects--it works wonders for nausea and chronic pain. I am all for legalization.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I believe it. An avid smoker myself I have had schizophrenic episodes in the past, but they have gone away over time. Schizophrenia is misinterpreted as a mental illness when it is really the ability to hear and see things from the other realms. The antipsychotic drugs prescribed are a continuation of I.G. Farben's plot to destroy the psychic abilities of the common people.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join