It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Smoking cannabis "doubles mental health risk"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by joepits
I believe it. An avid smoker myself I have had schizophrenic episodes in the past, but they have gone away over time. Schizophrenia is misinterpreted as a mental illness when it is really the ability to hear and see things from the other realms. The antipsychotic drugs prescribed are a continuation of I.G. Farben's plot to destroy the psychic abilities of the common people.

No its not.. Schizophrenia is a disorder relating to neurotransmitters, and fluxuation of key ones. Your not picking up anything from realms.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
the way i see it if it was a chaotic "disorder" then why did i hear coherent voices that said sentences that were prophetic to the future of my life. the answer it is is not an imbalance.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I dont buy this. This looks like modern day refer madness. How many cultures and individuals have used marijuana for 100s of years with out all the mental health issues.

How is this considered 'hard research'? Im sorry but any drug related info coming from Christchurch Health and Development Study sounds suspicious. Is there no conflict of interest with the church and people using mind altering substances?

The second paragraph states 'The New Zealand scientists said their study suggested this was probably due to chemical changes in the brain which resulted from smoking the drug.'

Gee, 'probably' sounds real concrete. Considering the industrialized food industry, the state of social conditions worldwide, the health issues with people being less active both physically and mentally, would have just as much if not more impact on a persons mental well being. Though I am not a doctor or anything, I speak from my own experiences.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
It's not addictive...that's why people consistently and continuously risk incarceration, and/or loss of liberty, property and profession, to keep smoking it? If it's not harmful, only a pleasant buzz, and non-addictive, why risk everything, and just quit? Especially if you live in one of those nice arbitrary "drug free" zones?

Or do you justify and say you could quit anytime, but "don't want/need to", "I'll do whatever i want in my own house".or some sort of civil disobedient, stick-it-to-the-Man attitude?

Sounds a lot like my father when saying he didn't have a drinking problem.

Originally posted by billybob

Originally posted by ThichHeaded

what about the other 30 you's??

shhhhhh! he's sleeping! you don't want to be around when he wakes!

i lived in japan for a while. there was a tv celebrity doctor who was my student(i taught conspiracy history to the elite businessmen, okay, i lied. i taught english WITH CAPITALS AND EVERYTHING). this doctor had been taught, and firmly believed that one year of MJ use would make you crazy to the point of running around killing people.
reefer madness, man.
mary jah wanna works as a lock and key. THC connects to special receptors in the brain that seem to have the only purpose of attaching to THC. like a lock and key.
that's why heavy users 'plateau' in their high. the receptors are all full. heavy smokers only smoke to remain on that plateau. stop using for a month or two(which is easy, since it is not addictive) and you can get real high on a skinny joint again.
whatever, though. nobody wants to kNWO about the real world. quote your biased studies and sheltered attitudes. go nuts.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet
It's not addictive...that's why people consistently and continuously risk incarceration, and/or loss of liberty, property and profession, to keep smoking it? If it's not harmful, only a pleasant buzz, and non-addictive, why risk everything, and just quit? Especially if you live in one of those nice arbitrary "drug free" zones?

because its good for your Qi, duh. people will doubt this but I still belive smoking weed, despite the effects on the lungs, is an effective tool against much of the illnesses today, including cancer.

[edit on 1-3-2005 by joepits]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet

Or do you justify and say you could quit anytime, but "don't want/need to", "I'll do whatever i want in my own house".or some sort of civil disobedient, stick-it-to-the-Man attitude?

Sounds a lot like my father when saying he didn't have a drinking problem.

soap is endangering your health. you are unable to stop using it. it is addictive.
food is addictive. you can't stop.
water is addictive. you need it.
breathing is an obvious danger to society. criminals breathe, you know.

i will do whatever i want, pretty much wherever i want to do it. that's the kind of guy i am. FREE!

my dad has a BAD drinking problem. if only he'd smoked pot instead, maybe my mom wouldn't be so bruised.

wake up and smell the colitas.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
billybob

But smoking dope and dropping acid and reading Beelzebub's Tales septuples the risk!

Schizophrenia is just a pattern of delusional disorders lasting longer than the magical 28 days. It can be diagnosed and misdiagnosed any day of the week.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I didn't see anything there proving a causal relationship. ...Maybe more people with underlying mental health problems smoke weed cuz it makes them feel better.

Marijuana and hemp have a place in this world. Just using hemp to make paper again would save millions of trees. Beats me why there's such a campaign against it. Oh yeah, money. Forgot.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Billybob, I agree with you.

I've had the displeasure of knowing alcoholics in my lifetime, ruined their careers, lifes, had accidents. Those i know who smoked weed only wanted peace and goodwill, and never hurt a fly.

Both habits are bad IMO, however if i had to chose between a drunk and someone high, i'd go for the high.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Doggone FredT, see what you started? A pro-dope smoking thread!

Pot is illegal because I don't need to be around a bunch of stoned out dopers at work or driving down the road while I'm around.

Plus, like the thread states, it'll make you "CCRRAAZZYY!!"

Well, do what you want. Mental hospitals are there for a purpose also!

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Be fair in the study, and take away the paranoia of being arrested, social stigma attached to being a "pothead". Study the Drug in a legal enviroment.

Then bring some evidence. til then... its just Drug War Govternment propaganda.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Smoking cannabis virtually doubles the risk of developing mental illnesses such as schizophrenia, researchers say.

I wonder what other mental illnesses they're refering to?

The study, published in the journal Addiction, followed over 1,000 people born in 1977 for 25 years...The researchers, from the University of Otago, interviewed people taking part in the Christchurch Health and Development Study about their cannabis use at the ages of 18, 21 and 25.

25 year study on people born in 1977? Wow!! How long have they been smoking?

They analysed their findings to take into account the possibility illness encouraged people to use more cannabis, rather than the drug contributing to their condition.

But the researchers said the link was not likely to be due to people with mental illness having a greater wish to smoke cannabis.

Instead, they said cannabis may increase the chances of a person suffering psychosis by causing chemical changes to the brain.

The researchers also took into account factors such as family history, current mental disorders, and illicit substance abuse.

Writing in Addiction, he added: "Even when all factors were taken into account, there was a clear increase in rates of psychotic symptoms after the start of regular use.

The article says they have accounted for smoking to aleve psychosis: Which came first, the schizo or the pot head?

Paul Corry, of the mental health charity Rethink, said: "This is the latest in long line of international research over the last 12 months that shows we are facing a drug-induced mental health crisis.

"We need action from the Department of Health and we need it now if we are to avoid the risk of tens of thousands of young people developing a severe mental illness in the future."

"We urge the government to reconsider its decision on classification, backing that with a multi-million pound education and awareness campaign on the dangers of cannabis for young people whose brains are developing."

This last part of the article sounds urgent, doesn't it?

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I can say with wisdom of experience that MJ was the best medication for two psycho-bitches from my past(used as a term of endearment).

zoloft, prozac, paxil, you name it... and they freaked on it...
MJ was a stablizing medication for them and acted instantly...
when they would go for any length of time on one of the others, the cumulative buildup effect would overflow, and they would spin out emotionally.

One toke later and the world would be normal again... and they would use it for awhile successfully (even on the advice of her therapist), but eventually start feeling guilty or paranoid for being a "toker".
So they would quit and try the meds again... a BAD little destruction cycle to witness...(with very unsuccessful results)

if it was legal, then they would have just used it, and never had any problems... instead they are on constant ups and downs with new and experimental legal meds...
cant they just learn... stick with what works...
god is great... and creates some mighty good natural meds...
salvia divinorum is another great medicinal herb, for "relaxation"... better hurry and get some while it is still legal...

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The first known mention of cannabis is in a Chinese medical text of 2737 BCE. It was used as medicine throughout Asia and the Middle East to treat a variety of conditions. Who knows, they may of used it to treat schizophrenia.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by poonchang
The article says they have accounted for smoking to aleve psychosis: Which came first, the schizo or the pot head?

Well when i was schizo I would only hear the voices when I smoked weed and the few days after that. When i quit the drugs for a while it went away.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
in my experience in law enforcement..i've never had to fight somebody who is 'high on pot'...NEVER..... after it is over they like to talk about it....80% of the 'fighters' are drunk..10% on crack/coke/meth and the other 10% mental stuff. alcohol is the gateway drug..if there is such a thing.... the reason pot is not legal.....everybody would be sitting at home watching movies and eating
....where did that bag of doritios go
no revenue there......."thier fingerprints are hidden by control.."

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   
joepits, I know you are pro pot...
but you aren't helping the cause...

all in jest friend... stick to the weed...the weed is good... the weed will give the answers...
but unfortunatley, you will soon forget them...

also, point of note:
for a source of the study... the christs church sounds a little biased...

[edit on 1-3-2005 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
billybob

But smoking dope and dropping acid and reading Beelzebub's Tales septuples the risk!

Schizophrenia is just a pattern of delusional disorders lasting longer than the magical 28 days. It can be diagnosed and misdiagnosed any day of the week.

where do i get these tales? no risk, no reward.

acids not my bag. i'd hate myself if i started liking the grateful dead.

going mental though, that's something i'd like to try, and i would, too, and so would i...bugs are crawling on my legs.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
If someone told me this a year ago i would have said no, its just anti drug propoganda... bit then i saw a good friend of mine lose her mind as a result of too much weed... she's off it now and her mind is better... but me on the other hand never lost my mind and i smoked just as much as she did... my point is it will affect different people in different ways....

Also small amounts of weed are harmless, its only when you smoke it regularly that it starts to have a negative affect... i.e lack of motivation, slow reaction time, loss of short term memory, and mental illness (possible).

I dont smoke the stuff anymore, but i still think its up to the individual as long as they know the risks... like tobacco

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Well just about every Kiwi I know smokes. Its endemic. And yeah they're all mad. So what. Maybe the study has some truth in it, but education, not prohibition is the ONLY answer.

Ultimately, prohibition of drugs is doomed to failure, just as prohibition of alcohol was doomed. The prohibition of alcohol made a bunch of folks rich.
The "War on Drugs" is making some members of a criminal underclass rich (they're effectively collecting risk premium), and it's also padding the pockets of companies like du Pont and Big Pharma - whose products are second-rate replacements for (and usually chemical corollaries of) naturally occurring drugs.
For example, Marijuana (which I found pleasant but have ceased due to parenthood/work) is not illegal because of the THC it contains: it's illegal because du Pont wanted to displace hemp byproducts in the textiles and ropes market with Nylon, over which it had a patent.
Even the name was tarted up to scare folks - it used to be simply called "Indian Hemp" - but "Marijuana" sounded more"foreign" and played to the fact that Middle America at the time was dead scared of Mexican immigrants.
When the War on Drugs is finally lost, those people who're making all that money will eventually become respectable - just like the Kennedy family, who made all their money running bootleg liquor from Canada.
I vehemently disagree with government coercion - the idea that paypackets can be raped by political machine-men to service the interests of their "core constituencies" (lobbyists and other parasites). Like all parasites, government eventually strangles its host (i.e., society).
Here's a way to strangle it back - if only intermittently: any time you're called for jury duty, and the defendant is accused of a breach of a stupid government rule (that is, a crime that does not involve injury or threat of injury to an individual or to property), vote NOT GUILTY.
That means - in particular - drug offences but also parking, traffic, taxation and all the ridiculous "codes of conduct" offences, except where the accused employs or threatens violence against third parties.

Prohibition of narcotics enriches a violent underclass - the same sorts of people who were enriched by the prohibition of alcohol. It (prohibition) impoverishes the most vulnerable members of society.
Those who are being enriched are well known to members of our political machinery, but are worth too much (and have too much "good oil" on high-ranking politicians) for there to be any political will to undermine them in any way.
So instead of opiates and amphetamines being non-problems (as they were in the early part of the 20th century and for centuries beforehand) they are now portrayed as "the root of all social evil" - because it suits the purposes of the political class and their criminal cohorts, and most people are too stupid to think about where all the money goes.
So, kick back on behalf of your fellows: simply clog up the justice system with retrials. Eventually government will change the law. That's what happened with alcohol prohibition. (Note: I say this as a person who doesn't use any interesting drugs... not even alcohol, seriously. Which you will find interesting to stop, you're friends just will NOT get it. You need a will of iron just to get beyond the peer pressure.)

[edit on 2-3-2005 by Romeo]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join